Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,031 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm graduating in May from the University of Delaware and got a job in Midtown Manhattan. My boyfriend got a job in Woodbridge, NJ and now we are in the process of trying to figure out our living situations. I'm from New York originally and have planned on living in NYC after college all my life, but since his job is in NJ, i'm no longer sure of what is the most feasible living situation for the both of us.

Is commuting from NYC to Woodbridge that bad of a commute?

Is there a location in Brooklyn or Queens that may be more feasible for us?

Do you think commuting to Woodbridge would be better driving or taking public transportation?

Should I begin considering living in New Jersey and commuting to my job in New York? The problems i see with this plan is that I don't forsee myself having a car to drive to the train station and I am looking to maintain my social life which will be based in NYC so I am not sure how late trains/buses run from NYC to NJ.

Any help, advice you can give is greatly appreciated. I need to try and figure out what to do and hope someone can give me some advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
NY-New Jersey is a rough commute driving. Avoid it if you can.

I think living in jersey is the compromise you should make with your boyfriend. Living in brooklyn area close to Manhattan will be expensive. Depending on where in Jersey, it should be an easy commute for both of you using public tranportation or just driving within jersey in his case.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:39 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
I'd recommend Jersey City or Hoboken. It's close to Manhattan and your bf can take the PATH to the commuter train in Newark or drive, depending on how close his job is to train stations in Woodbridge. The PATH runs 24 hours so your social life can continue late into the night. You could live in Manhattan, but for your bf's sake you'd have to live very close to Penn Station (Chelsea/Midtown West/Hells Kitchen).

Old 04-03-2007, 10:22 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Yeah I agree with the above poster. Look into some towns in Jersey like Hoboken, Jersey City, & Bayonne. The commute from Manhattan to Woodbridge would be bad enough, but Queens/Brooklyn would be nightmarish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: