Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Of course to SOME extent. But NYers more so than ANY other people in this country always have to find some way to incorporate NY into conversation CONSTANTLY. After a day hanging out with a NYer it's like "OK, SHUTUP ALREADY, WE KNOW YOU'RE FROM NY!!" LOL. Listen it's not even anything to debate. Most NYers are ALWAYS going to disagree and be on the defensive when they hear about their true selves from out of towners. But we all collectively made our bed, so lie in it.

Most NYers (beside the transplant population) do not travel around alot (IMO and experience) besides going to Jersey (Alantic City) or Connecticut so their ignorance precedes them. It's funny how The South and Mid West are suppose to be where all the "ignorant" Americans are, however IN MY LIFE I have heard the most ignorant comments from NYers. This seems to hold true of the MAJORITY of NYers (and the other things I said). I am one myself however I moved around some when I was young and then the military experience added, I have seen quite alot at my age (which I'm glad because that makes me different from the avg NYer). I'm not trying to so called "hate" on NY, I love it here. Greatest most unique city in the country (and probably the world). But we are hard for people to put up with, SORRY.
Yes, and my experiences are the complete opposite of yours, so don't tell me MOST or the MAJORITY when you haven't taken a survey of everyone here. I agree, some people can act strange, but you can't just lump everyone in the same category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM

784 posts, read 1,982,099 times
First of all, hostility to any geographic or demographic group is never justifiable. People should get to know the individual person. True, New Yorkers seem to catch a lot of flack, but then again there are positive stereotypes of them as well. Many see NYers as brutally honest and extremely punctual, 2 traits that are valued. When I was in the military, I noticed that a lot of people had somewhat a negative view of New Yorkers, but then at the same time, the people with the most friends seemed to be New Yorkers. Keep in mind that New Yorkers are not the only place that people can hold a negative view toward. Texans seemed to catch a bad rap too, and just read the General U. S. forum threads and you'll see what I mean.
It seems that any decent person can usually get along anywhere, but at the same time, some areas do not like a large population of outsiders moving in.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Yes, and my experiences are the complete opposite of yours, so don't tell me MOST or the MAJORITY when you haven't taken a survey of everyone here. I agree, some people can act strange, but you can't just lump everyone in the same category.
As I pointed out numerous times throughout my post, everything that I'm saying is based on MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. Nothing more or less.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
I am a New Yorker and have lived in many places throughout the U.S because of my Military career. You have to understand the mindset of many people across the country. People view New Yorkers as part of the problem and not part of the solution. Contrary to popular belief New York is responsible for electing that carpet bagger Hillary Clinton. Most of the country was stunned. In addition New York is very very blue. Anti-gun laws , High cigarette tax, many obama supporters , very liberal laws, high taxes, high real estate etc.

New Yorkers are viewed as very arrogant. Very rude. very overbearing , etc. Most of the country...of course I'll leave out California...I'm specifically speaking about the south, southwest, and middle America are more polite. It isn't hard to spot a New Yorker. New Yorkers are more confrontational. A New Yorker, and again , not all think it is weird to say hello to a stranger.

New York is actually way behind most of the other Major Metropolitan areas in the U.S. I know this is sacrilege to say but there are other places where fashion, technology, and science are way ahead. Lets face it... the suffocating taxes of this state have chased away a lot of industry and have made New York as a whole an archaic, stuffy place.

Lets take Dallas/ Ft.Worth Texas for instance. Their structures are fresh and new, their nightlife is hot. That whole area consist of three major cities in one area surrounded by sub cities called the metroplex. All of their sports arenas whether it be football, baseball, hockey, or basketball are within minutes from anywhere and tickets are always available. I am a Giants fan but look at Jerry Jones new Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington...Puts the new Meadowlands stadium to shame. Look at their Ballpark...the Yankees is embarrassing. Their Technology is phenomenal.. Their Police Dept's are equipped with state of the art mobile computers, videos, radars, GPS, Traffic control systems, and weapons systems.They have had these systems since the early nineties..New York has been slowly getting them since 2003 or so. Their nightlife is vibrant and there is plenty to do. Everything is accessible via modern highways. That area is a melting pot for professionals from all over the country.And many of the people there look good. And their accents rock.

Now a New Yorker still views Texas as cowboyish, desert, backwoods, and tumbleweeds. I understand that many New Yorkers have never left the state and stereotype lots of different places but that is what gives us a brash reputation. People actually want to like New Yorkers but it doesn't take long for one to put their foot in their mouths. A New Yorker can be rightfully proud just like a Texan can but you have to be a diplomat and represent this state.

In my opinion New Yorkers believe in a lot of things other parts don't. Liberal views are not welcome in a lot of places. A majority of the U.S feel New Yorkers are a threat to the constitution. I know that is probably an offensive comment, It is a strong comment but I have heard it over and over again. New York is very PC orientated and support lifestyles other places don't.

I really don't think Pennsylvania is in a position to get into a contest with New Yorkers...They have Philadelphia and that place is a mess. They need to clean up there own backyard before they point fingers.

Anyway much of what I wrote will be contested, I don't care because the premise of this thread was is hostility justified. While no hostility is justified toward anyone I am pointing out some key reasons that I heard while hanging out and becoming friends with the natives because I was myself. I will say though that women are very friendly towards New York men that present themselves well, lots of fun and more attractive...when I got back here I thought I was in prudeville, many girls were bland and very pale. Even unattractive girls were rude and arrogant . Must be something in the water. Just like cars..over here they age real fast but head west and 20 year old cars are still pristine.
Strange -- I am in the Boston area and it seems to me that most in this area (eastern Mass particularly greater Boston) meet this false description of NY'ers posted above especially the very arrogant. very rude. very overbearing part and somehow many here have never seemed to have escaped the college frat / sorority lifestyle.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:06 PM

87 posts, read 50,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
That's possible. I'm just going from my own travel experience to other destinations and noticed that it's generally an American who likes to start the debate with someone from another country on whose city/country is better. I also spoke to my tour guide (from NZ) and she also commented on how this tends to be an "American" thing. On the other hand, I met some incredibly nice Americans on my travels. None of them were NY'ers though.
Lmao, no it's not. Stop projecting. It's only ever insecure foreigners who launch slanderous attacks on Americans and then get mad if Americans respond.

Or they start by criticizing and acting condescending toward America and Americans

Or they try to make "being remotely patriotic of America" out to bet some arrogant thing...

Old 07-30-2020, 12:13 PM

6,670 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgabolga View Post
Lmao, no it's not. Stop projecting. It's only ever insecure foreigners who launch slanderous attacks on Americans and then get mad if Americans respond.

Or they start by criticizing and acting condescending toward America and Americans

Or they try to make "being remotely patriotic of America" out to bet some arrogant thing...
I remember standing outside work taking a break. I had just gotten back from the bookstore and had one of those Tom Clancy , international espionage books in my hand, of which the back cover had an American flag picture.

This woman, with a French accent couldn't help herself walking by, and scoffed,.."ugg,..why do you American's put your flag on everything?!" totally out of the blue, I was just standing there.

Jeez lady. ;p

Old 07-30-2020, 01:00 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I remember standing outside work taking a break. I had just gotten back from the bookstore and had one of those Tom Clancy , international espionage books in my hand, of which the back cover had an American flag picture.

This woman, with a French accent couldn't help herself walking by, and scoffed,.."ugg,..why do you American's put your flag on everything?!" totally out of the blue, I was just standing there.

Jeez lady. ;p
I am in the 4th decade of my life and have yet to find a likable French, including their women... some all mighty must have drawn an invisible line between me and the French people...

Old 08-01-2020, 01:07 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I am in the 4th decade of my life and have yet to find a likable French, including their women... some all mighty must have drawn an invisible line between me and the French people...
Ah yes. They be known as the "New Yorkers of Europe". Laffta.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:35 AM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Ah yes. They be known as the "New Yorkers of Europe". Laffta.

Pardon me for streching my freedom of speech a bit too far in the previous post...but I felt safe to trash talk on the French literally because they are "white" so they are ineligible to go after me for being a racist or hater......

Some French can be very pretentious (like bugsy here) and annoying (like the "late" nywriterdude......), but many of them are ok and harmless (unlike those NY knockout boyz......) as passengers in life......

Old 08-01-2020, 04:49 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I see this thread was started in 2009. Perhaps NYers have changed since that time?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City