Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 11,614 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and have collected some helpful info. I do have a few questions that haven't been addressed, and I would wholeheartedly appreciate it if anyone had some input.

I am 19, currently saving to relocate to NYC in a year (when I graduate with my BA) and I have about $8k so far. I am planning on working as a interactive designer/motion graphics designer. My current salary is 25k for part time (this is my pay in Salt Lake City.) but I will be working full time in NY (since I will be out of school) I'm looking to rent (with no roommates) a studio/1br in Chelsea or Astoria. <== if anyone has any comments/critiques/feedback for my plan, please let me know (I won't get offended)!

Question time: So... I have a pet rabbit. She is a house rabbit that behaves pretty much like a cat, and I take her for walks on a harness. In the neighborhoods I mentioned, are there safe, open parks where a rabbit would not be bothered by too many stray dogs/rude people lol? Also, (you are all going to laugh at this) I take her out sometimes in a stroller. Would that be too weird? lol I know I probably sound like a total nerd

Also, are most landlords cool with house rabbits? I have seen postings where they mention no cats/dogs, but would a rabbit be different since it's not a large animal?

Thanks for taking the time to read my silliness All of you have been so generous with your suggestions on other people's threads already, so I thought I'd throw in my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
I would think twice about moving here without a job.

Chelsea is one of the most pricey neighborhoods in Manhattan - and you can't rent ANY apartment here without proof of income. Astoria might be more realistic.

As for the rabbit: There are TONS of dogs here that would go after your bunny in a nanosecond. I do NOT recommend walking your rabbit on the street. EVER. Not to mention the park, where he/she should NOT be eating the (potentially toxic) grass. It's impossible to avoid the dogs. I know my two (even the one with no teeth) would be on your bunny before anyone realized what was happening.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,889,462 times
I think a rabbit is more like a bird, fish or reptile than a dog or cat.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM

No, no! Bunnies CAN be housetrained. LOTS of Manhattan people have rabbits. I see them at the Animal Medical Center all the time!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:27 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,889,462 times
I meant that when a landlord or mangement company says "no pets", you can still have a bird or fish. I feel that a rabbit falls under the "birds and fish-style pet" as opposed to a "dogs and cats" pet.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,529,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkInAYear View Post
Hi everyone!

Also, (you are all going to laugh at this) I take her out sometimes in a stroller. Would that be too weird? lol I know I probably sound like a total nerd

You just reminded me of the time I saw a lady wheeling her kitty around in a baby carriage. It was kind of weird. But in a good way.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM

My neighbor's pug has a wonky back end due to back problems. Annabelle has a carriage that's like a crate on a carriage frame. Nobody gives it a second glance.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM

988 posts, read 3,256,412 times
just make sure the place doesn't have carpet(which most in this city doesn't have anyways). My little sister had 2 rabbits and they tended to eat the carpets and left big holes. She NEVER walked it, it was fine inside the house or in its cage. It was very introverted like most cats, I agree with the other posters about dogs wanting to attack the rabbit.

If u move here, save up a lot of money for sure, there is a 95% chance you won't find a job in NYC from a location outside of NYC. Maybe sublet for the first 3 months here to get a feel for the city before you lease an apartment. The economy should be better but of course no one can predict that.

Good Luck

Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM

304 posts, read 1,304,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

Chelsea is one of the most pricey neighborhoods in Manhattan - and you can't rent ANY apartment here without proof of income. Astoria might be more realistic.

As for the rabbit: There are TONS of dogs here that would go after your bunny in a nanosecond. I do NOT recommend walking your rabbit on the street. EVER. Not to mention the park, where he/she should NOT be eating the (potentially toxic) grass. It's impossible to avoid the dogs. I know my two (even the one with no teeth) would be on your bunny before anyone realized what was happening.
Wholeheartedly agree, re: job, location -- and rabbit.
Just _thinking_ about bunny-on-a-leash has my stomach doing backflips. Your house-rabbit wouldn't last one day outside of the house ... and I'm not the kind of person who exaggerates for dramatic effect.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:28 AM

7 posts, read 11,614 times
Quote:

Thanks for the advice I will be coming down to NYC this summer and checking out the properties, and I am also thinking that Chelsea is a goal for the farther future, not next year. Astoria seems like a good place to meet people with similar interests. However, if all else fails, the Bronx areas I've looked at are pretty cheap, and the crime stats aren't worse than the area I lived in LA a few years back, but I will definitely have to see the neighborhoods in person first.

Quote:
Okay, you've already convinced me to keep my rabbit inside! Kind of reminds me of when I lived in CA, I was afraid that my rabbit would step on a needle or something, but now that I live in Utah, it's the complete opposite (clean, manicured lawns, no homeless people, etc.) But I HATE suburbia!!!

Last edited by NewYorkInAYear; 05-21-2009 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City