Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,604 times

Advertisements

Could anyone advise, please. I have to move to NYC in January 2010. I am looking to rent a 2br for about 1500. I have never rented before and my credit is not perfect. Will this be a problem??/What areas can I afford at 1500??? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADR View Post
Could anyone advise, please. I have to move to NYC in January 2010. I am looking to rent a 2br for about 1500. I have never rented before and my credit is not perfect. Will this be a problem??/What areas can I afford at 1500??? Thanks for your help.
It'll be a problem if your credit is below 700, you've been at your job less than 2 years and you have no rental history in NYC. I'd suggest trying to get something in a private house where the landlord will let those things slide if they're desperate to rent or you just make a good impression on them. Then you can build your rental history and tenure at your job so real landlords in large apartments will be willing to rent to you.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 11,604 times
Thanks!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
You may want to consider Queens or Brooklyn. I doubt you'll find a 2-bedroom for that budget in Manhattan unless your willing to share. And considering that you'll need to make about 40x your rent in annual income, not sure if you make it. I agree with biskit that you may want to try a house or a landlord owned smaller building who might be willing to let credit history slide.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
It'll be a problem if your credit is below 700, you've been at your job less than 2 years and you have no rental history in NYC. I'd suggest trying to get something in a private house where the landlord will let those things slide if they're desperate to rent or you just make a good impression on them. Then you can build your rental history and tenure at your job so real landlords in large apartments will be willing to rent to you.

How would one go about doing this? I have a college age child who is going to apply for a summer internship 2010 and your info would help us out tremendously. Somewhere near midtown, I think near 57th? 9th and 57th?

Do share!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 PM

15 posts, read 83,451 times
Rego park, Forest Hills, Kew Garden Co-op area. You might be able to find a 2 bedroom around $1500.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
no to kew gardens.
yes to astoria.

and you won't find anything without a job first. no one will rent to you without you having a job in nyc. good luck.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:33 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
How would one go about doing this? I have a college age child who is going to apply for a summer internship 2010 and your info would help us out tremendously. Somewhere near midtown, I think near 57th? 9th and 57th?

Do share!
If you make 90x the annual rent of the apartment, you can cosign the lease as a guarantor. If apt is 2k/mo, you'd have to make $180k to cosign.

If not, I'd have your child look for a share with a roommate.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
^^^^ Perhaps I misunderstood... I'd suggest trying to get something in a private house where the landlord will let those things slide if they're desperate to rent or you just make a good impression on them. Then you can build your rental history and tenure at your job so real landlords in large apartments will be willing to rent to you. (Cut and Paste) What I understood was to rent from someone owning a private home...I do not understand why I would need to cosign, my child has excellent credit for an 18 year old and excellent savings, she has been working since she was 16 years old and saving everything she makes. She currently lives at home with parents so has no bills. I am sure there are roommate options, but I was just asking for more info about what I understood this poster to say.

Last edited by LovingSAT; 07-02-2009 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-02-2009, 07:10 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
^^^^ Perhaps I misunderstood... I'd suggest trying to get something in a private house where the landlord will let those things slide if they're desperate to rent or you just make a good impression on them. Then you can build your rental history and tenure at your job so real landlords in large apartments will be willing to rent to you. (Cut and Paste) What I understood was to rent from someone owning a private home...I do not understand why I would need to cosign, my child has excellent credit for an 18 year old and excellent savings, she has been working since she was 16 years old and saving everything she makes. She currently lives at home with parents so has no bills. I am sure there are roommate options, but I was just asking for more info about what I understood this poster to say.

Your earlier response made it sound as though you needed a way for your child to find an apartment; that she apparently couldn't get one on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City