Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times

Advertisements

To even live halfway decent in NYC in an Outer borough you need to make at least 55K-60K a year.

40K in NYC is going to be strictly Poorhouse living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
I do it and I am am very happy with my life! (well minus the elephant that lives above me for those of you who saw my post). I live by myself in a great neighborhood in the city, work in a career I love, and enjoy the city for all she has to offer on the cheap.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 PM

400 posts, read 983,682 times
Eh, even if Im poor, at least im white. There will be hope for me someday.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM

287 posts, read 593,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Im white too, but honestly, you're the biggest fool on these boards and give white people a bad name. ignore this clown.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
highlarious

Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
I make a grand less than 40k and its so so. How do I manage to live easy. I bunk at home with at my moms until I find a better job or another job in some other state or county. I try to go out every now and then, I also know a couple of club promoters or go to some organized events, another thing I try to avoid is relationships particularly with nyc women because I don't want to end up with an unexpected baby aswell as down the line child support so I chase transplant chicks instead who overdose on birth control pills. I do manage to travel twice a year and invest some money in my brokerage account. At least I'm not a starbucks and iphone touting yuppie who is on average 25k or more in debt.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-28-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 16,659 times
HeY
Iam 22, recently grad from Moscow,Russia as Power Plant Industrial Engineer,and came to new york, half a year ago, now working in electronic company on position called inspection, i earn 9$ in an hour, and they try to brainwash me,that it is a good opportunity, and in march you will earn 40 cents more)
Its kinda funny and sad, but i dont want to drop out, before i found a place to work
in month,with tax, i earn 1180 which is 7.4/h
475 - i rent a room in quite neighborhood, called midwood in brooklyn, so it itakes 40 minutes to get manhattan.
60 - unlimited worldwide metropcs phone)
104 - metrocard
144 - very tasty lunch at work

and other 379 ,i divide between healthy food, and some drinks on parties or dinner with girl

i eat mostly salads broiled chicken cottage cheese and yogurt and feel awsome, also have a free time for photography,web design, yoga and skateboarding, and march will be school...
so its kind freezin live that way, but iam full of ambition , straight lookin and still searchin a new job)
thats my experience!
peace

Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
New Yorkers may scoff, but I find you can save a ton by moving to Jersey. In JC, you can trade that $100+ metro card for a $65 smart link card. You don't pay NYC income tax, which saves you 3% of your income. Those two things alone will add up to a couple or a few thousand a year in savings. And on a shoestring budget, that's big money.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:38 AM

349 posts, read 781,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
New Yorkers may scoff, but I find you can save a ton by moving to Jersey. In JC, you can trade that $100+ metro card for a $65 smart link card. You don't pay NYC income tax, which saves you 3% of your income. Those two things alone will add up to a couple or a few thousand a year in savings. And on a shoestring budget, that's big money.
NYC is one of the few cities I know where the city and metro area are not seen as one cohesive unit. It's NYC proper or bust! If 40k is not enough im sure you could find something in the metro area that allows you a little more breathing room. Yeah, yeah I know the city is fun and is a status symbol but why suffer if you don't have to? Surely living 40 miles away is better than 400. You still have access to the city. You just sleep somewhere else.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I thought this thread was about living in NYC making under 40,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City