Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM

72 posts, read 240,573 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to hear some stories from those who are making it in NYC, with only $40k (or under) income. Possibly someone who is single & paying for everything themselves.

i guess i just want the reality of it...instead of just 'assumming' how it will be. I'm in a situation where I'm still not sure if I should go for it (alone)...or deal with a roommate. I make 40k myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
You'll definitely have to deal with a roommate outside of Manhattan. When I first moved here I was making that much and living with a roommate in Astoria. I paid $650 for my room and it was fine for me. I was still able to eat out all the time, go out on the weekends, shop and travel. You're not going to save a lot unless you're very thrifty, but you'll be able to get by just fine.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
It is possible to live alone with a much lower income if you are lucky enough to find a rent stablized apt.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:03 PM

257 posts, read 824,376 times
I lived in hoboken on 30k w/ 150$ credit card debt payments a month and 800$ a month rent 5 years ago. It sucked! The apartment was 10 blocks from the path and I didn't have money for food. When I folded my futon out, it took up the entire width of the apartment. I lost a lot of weight! Moving w/ my BF made life so much easier. a roomate would have done the same thing (it was a railroad 2BR apt much closer to the path). The rent was about the same (each) but I had so much more space.

Last edited by delg23; 07-17-2009 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPooch167 View Post
I just wanted to hear some stories from those who are making it in NYC, with only $40k (or under) income. Possibly someone who is single & paying for everything themselves.

i guess i just want the reality of it...instead of just 'assumming' how it will be. I'm in a situation where I'm still not sure if I should go for it (alone)...or deal with a roommate. I make 40k myself
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York (in a housing project) and 2 years ago decided that eventhough I was making over $40k my money still was not stretching living in NYC the way I wanted it to. As as result I decided to relocate to another state where I could get more bang for my buck. To answer your question.........if you are considering being a single person, paying all of the bills by yourself and trying to live in NYC..........you will either have one of three scenarios 1) living in a New York City housing project (guns, drugs, shootings on the street, trust me I know I was raised in one and raised by a single mother), 2) living in a decent neighborhood and paying $800 - $1,000 per month for rent on a 1 bedroom apartment, plus utilities, plus food, plus carfare to get back and forth to work, if you have a child/children then it is even worse or 3) Have to deal with the headache of getting and living with a roomate to make ends meet. Then factor in the fact that NYC transit is constantly raising the bus/train fare so the cost of that is always going up.

I have watched people struggle and live in poverty in NYC all my life making $40k........the sad part about it is that people can actually work everyday and still find themselves living below the poverty line. Also factor in other miscellaneous bills like credit cards, entertainment (nobody likes to just work and not go out sometime) and also depends on your money management skills. In my opinion being a single person trying to live in NYC making $40k is not enough money. Look at other cities where you could live a little more comfortable on $40k........my family is still living in NYC (Brooklyn and the Bronx) and trust me it is a struggle, they are always complaining that their rent is going up. As far as I am concerned the demand to live in NYC has made it too expensive and out of the reach of most people.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,221 times
Living single in NYC making 40k or below can be done, but it will take a certain amount of sacrafice on the individuals part. Going out every weekend is out of the question, you'll have to cut back to maybe once a month. If you do go out every weekend, then something else will have to be cut out, maybe groceries, but this will lead to a unhealthy eating lifestyle, pizza and chinese food everyday not recommended, LoL. I've seen other threads on this board asking the question is the middle class being pushed out of NYC, I don't believe anyone can be pushed out of a major city, but more and more people are looking at their living situation, and weather they decide to leave or stay, are making the best decision possible for them..

Old 07-19-2009, 10:12 AM

468 posts, read 2,358,567 times
I make a little over 45k today and made under 40k for a couple years. I live in Harlem with roommates, and feel that my lifestyle is pretty good. I have enough money to go out on the weekend and still have enough money left over to go on a couple modest vacations a year. I have tons of student loan debt but pay all my other bills every month. In the summer especially, I'm never hurting for things to do in the city... there are free events going on constantly (in fact this last week I was almost fatigued from all the free events!). And I can walk down into Central Park whenever I want.

But I know people who couldn't fathom not taking cabs everywhere, not going to super expensive bars, clubs and restaurants constantly, not living in a doorman/elevator building in a bougie 'hood, not going on shopping sprees etc, which are things I don't even really care about. So whether 40k gives you an "acceptable" lifestyle in New York is extremely subjective.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:56 PM

33 posts, read 184,077 times
You can live in the outter boroughs on that type of income. I live in the Bronx, in Morris Park, decent working-middle class area. Depending on if you share an apartment or have one just for yourself. Spend about 300 a month on groceries, was paying a car loan off about 185 a month, and rent. Only thing is that with little income its hard to save up money. Seems like your paycheck disappears the second you get it. But on that income I'd suggest the Bronx or Brooklyn and a decent working class area not the ghetto.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
My first job out of college, I made $35K/year, and could not afford to live on my own the way I wanted to. I wouldn't be able to go out as much as I would want or eat out and try different restaurants. I also like to travel and enjoy my life, and that salary wouldn't allow me to really do that.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:01 PM

141 posts, read 340,226 times
i dont get the probs every1 is talking about 40 k is enough. lets break it down

40k after taxes etc about 32000, or 2500 a month
-1000 for rent(could be less with roomates)
-300 for phone/cable/internet
-100 for monthly metrocard
-300 for food

900/225 a week

sounds livable to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City