Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:59 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times

Advertisements

Here's the text of the link which you can copy and paste to your browser, just be sure to put a "www." before the text of the link.

housing.nyc.com/html/resources/faq/primary.html

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
While not commenting on this issue, I wonder if there's a downside of attempting to get market rate tenants in a recession. In my neighborhood, there are apartment rentals that have been vacant for a at least a year!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:59 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
While not commenting on this issue, I wonder if there's a downside of attempting to get market rate tenants in a recession. In my neighborhood, there are apartment rentals that have been vacant for a at least a year!
Not to go off the op issue, but you should use the term market rate appropriately. It's been discussed on the forum before. Seems like a pretty simple term but some people have difficulty with it.
Market rent is simply the rent that is determined by the market. In other word it's the rent that prospective tenants are willing to pay. It may have been say $1500 last year. It's less this year. The reason apartments are vacant in your area for over a year is that the owner must be attempting to get above market rent. If he were asking market rent it would have been rented.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 9,844 times
An excellent site. Thank you so much

Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
You are most welcome. I have had the same thing happen with some hot links when they don't want to open in a particular browser. And, I'm glad that we were able to get you to the information about residency requirements. Best of luck.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Tuxedo View Post
I thank you all for your advice and support. I have been told that domestic partnership puts you under the umbrella of " separate but the same". It creates a dual edged sword as to whose legal rights, residence, is supported. Any comment on that.
I am not a lawyer so I don't know what ,if any, possible downside(s) there might be to a domestic partnership.I do know that in the end these things are decided on the preponderance of evidence and a domestic partnership issued by the city with a stated NYC domicile could carry a lot of weight.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:15 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
These disputes don't always make sense financially.Sometimes landlords just get completely enraged and it takes on the characteristics of a nasty divorce where a couple spends $100,000 fighting over $50,000 in assets.No sense.

I knew a person in exactly the OP's position where the landlord had set up video cameras on the apartment door and hired PI's to follow him and keep track of his every move to collect evidence.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
I tried to copy/paste the FAQs but it didn't work.... try directly typing the link into your browser bar.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Tuxedo View Post
My partner and I, gay couple, have been together for 32 years and in our current rent stabilized apt for 30 years. My partner has a cottage upstate and our landlord has decided that his primary residence is upstate. I have AIDS and live on SSD and have no paper connection to the cottage. All of my SSD checks, credit cards, pharmacist, in short everything ties me to the city except for an upstate telephone listings. All of our city bills are in both of our names as is the lease. We've been told not to do anything but collect all of our evidence of city residence in preparation of going to court and not to give any info to landlord. I am worried because I'm 60 not well and would not want to spend my "golden years" in a rural cottage 4miles from the nearest convenience store.
Any advice would be greatly accepted.
Your LL is going to fight this to the end, but he can't win. So long as you can prove your primary residence is in that apartment, you will win. Just get all your paperwork together --- and make copies and give them to your attorney to hold on to. You never know when your LL might decide there is an "emergency" in your apartment when you're not home and, suddenly, all your paperwork is missing.

Do NOT talk to the LL or any of his reps. Refer them to your attorney.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Not to go off the op issue, but you should use the term market rate appropriately. It's been discussed on the forum before. Seems like a pretty simple term but some people have difficulty with it.
Market rent is simply the rent that is determined by the market. In other word it's the rent that prospective tenants are willing to pay. It may have been say $1500 last year. It's less this year. The reason apartments are vacant in your area for over a year is that the owner must be attempting to get above market rent. If he were asking market rent it would have been rented.
To be honest, I don't know if it's that simple. The rent proposals have been reduced, but still no takers.

Another risk is having a bad replacement tenant. Say the OP is a good tenant and is paying on time. Landlord forces the person out in order to get a higher-payer. Higher-paying person can pay the increase, but either trashes the place or is in constant conflict with neighbors. Does landlord want that?

I don't know the OP's situation, other than what's posted. I also don't have the landlord's side of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City