Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think that's Cypress Hills (the neighborhood), it might even be Woodhaven.
No, it's definitely Cypress Hills - East New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think that's Cypress Hills (the neighborhood), it might even be Woodhaven.
Yeah I'm pretty sure what Mario was describing was Cypress Hills. A lot of Dominicans over there. A close friend of mine (Dominican) used to live over there for a long time and I visited him a few times. I think it used to be a lot rougher years ago. It's pretty close (or within, , I'm not the best with Brooklyn) to ENY so a lot of people confuse the two or look at it as one big neighborhood. What Analyticalkeys is saying seems pretty close to what I remember. It sort of has that broken down/abandoned vibe you generally get in ENY but it doesn't feel anywhere near as dangerous.

As for safest, what about Mill Basin? I was there a few months back. It seemed very quiet and it was crazy far from everything. Some of the houses looked really nice, right by the water and everything.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-15-2009 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 07:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure what Mario was describing was Cypress Hills. A lot of Dominicans over there. A close friend of mine (Dominican) used to live over there for a long time and I visited him a few times. I think it used to be a lot rougher years ago. It's pretty close (or within, , I'm not the best with Brooklyn) to ENY so a lot of people confuse the two or look at it as one big neighborhood. What Analyticalkeys is saying seems pretty close to what I remember. It sort of has that broken down/abandoned vibe you generally get in ENY but it doesn't feel anywhere near as dangerous.

As for safest, what about Mill Basin? I was there a few months back. It seemed very quiet and it was crazy far from everything. Some of the houses looked really nice, right by the water and everything.
Cypress Hills is a "sub-section" neighborhood within the East New York neighborhood. There must be a history behind why some neighborhoods have these neighborhoods within the neighborhood, but it's not one I know.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 PM

88 posts, read 420,298 times
The Norwood Ave station is just a few blocks from Queens.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:43 PM

197 posts, read 894,930 times
East New York and Brownsville seem to constanly alternate as the most dangerous area of Brooklyn both are usually in top three areas for homicides in NYC each year. I would have to say Brownsville though because it seems every time I have been over there there is a street shut down because of a shooting. The safest I would say is Bayridge I noticed it is pretty quiet at night probably because it has a high percentage of elderly residents. Elderly neighbors are pretty good to have they are usually pretty quiet and don't hang out much at night.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Cypress Hills is a "sub-section" neighborhood within the East New York neighborhood. There must be a history behind why some neighborhoods have these neighborhoods within the neighborhood, but it's not one I know.
Probably because Cypress Hills was originally founded as a separate community. It's actually a lot older than East New York, having been established by the Dutch in the 17th century (nobody is quite sure why it's called Cypress Hills, since cypress trees aren't native to this corner of the globe).

Just for the record--and because I think the history is so fascinating--East New York was established in 1835 by a merchant from Connecticut named John Pitkin. He had some problems dealing with NYC, and proposed to teach the city a lesson by founding a new city that would equal and then surpass New York. So he established East New York, but he got wiped out in a major depression (the Panic of 1837) and his proposed city never really got off the planning boards. Later it was annexed by Brooklyn.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:50 AM

66 posts, read 136,082 times
Starett city is a huge project. Known for prostituion and heavy drugs. Unfortunately, it depends on your race. Eg.you can't send a black family to live in "bayrigde". Marine park is a nice area near kings plaza mall. But,once again it dpends on your race. Go to apartmentratings.com. you will get help from people who currently live or lived in the area.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:42 PM

8 posts, read 52,372 times
not in any order (dangerous
1.brownsville
2.flatbush
3.bedstuy
4.coney island
5.and east new york
but im tellin yu, livin in new york your not safe anywhere!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 16,196 times
Default Is Bed-Stuy Safe???

I have been reading several posts and it amazes me how people that no nothing about Bed-Stuy other than speculation from others label it an unsafe neighborhood today. I am a 38 year old woman and was a child of an inter-racial marriage so I had the privelege of living on the Island as well as frequently visiting my grandmother and family in Bed-stuy throughout my entire life. Now back in the 80's that was a different story it went through its havoc stages like most other neighborhoods. Certain areas in Harlem, Fort Green, Williamsburg, Parkslope, etc. had there era of high crime, drugs and prostitution. Bed-stuy has one of the highest populations of African American people. There has always been 3 classes or types. 1)The homeowner's (the professional working class) who lived on the beautiful landmark brownstone blocks that were monitored by the block associations and the church organizations 2) The buildings owned by the Moderator cut: ethnic comment that were poorly maintained and rented out to the low income people to benefit from the welfare system and government programs 3) The city owned buildings that were also rented out to the lower income people. Due to the high population of low income housing, low income families and low property values the community then deemed a ghetto never received the services that other areas received. NOW that there has been a revamping of the community and gentrification in the area with new development the property values increased and the area has changed a whole lot. There are still a few blocks that still house the lower income families but for the most part with the gentrification in the area the older as well as new homeowners price their rentals at market value which unfortunately forces the lower income people elsewhere to look for housing. If you ride through the blocks of Bed-stuy you will be suprised to see how many caucasian people you see walking and riding their bikes, even at night. I own 3 buildings 2 with all caucasian students and working professionals. 2 of these tenants are gay males who hang out in the city all the time and come home late. Want to know how the area is contact me I'll let you ask them or stop one of the ones you see riding by or walking since they live there, not these racist idiots who speculate. I always say the Kingda Ka was the scariest rollercoaster I ever seen, but after I got on it I realized it really wasn't bad as I thought- I never felt the drop.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-17-2009 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: The religious designation isn't necessary -- thanks.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 PM

88 posts, read 420,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancipator View Post
I have been reading several posts and it amazes me how people that no nothing about Bed-Stuy other than speculation from others label it an unsafe neighborhood today.
The actual crime statistics of New York City show that violent crime in Bed-Stuy is amongst the highest in the city. Just look at the stats on the NYPD website. Or past threads on the subject. Or links such as these: A Map of Crime Rates in Each City Precinct -- New York Magazine New York City Homicides Map - The New York Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City