Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What News Channel Do You Watch The Most?
NY1 10 27.78%
CBS 2 2 5.56%
NBC 4 5 13.89%
FOX 5 9 25.00%
ABC 7 7 19.44%
MY9 0 0%
PIX 11 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 06:27 PM

190 posts, read 684,633 times

Advertisements

"I was recently in another city in the midwest and whenever I travel I realize how amateurish and bad their newscasts are and how incredibly top-notch ours are in NYC. "

I disagree. If you're comparing it to some small town, then yes NYC news is better, but I am surprised at how overly glossy and lacking of substance that the news is there. It feels like the Today show. NY1 and NJ12 are pretty good though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 06:45 PM

9 posts, read 37,796 times
I watch cbs in the early morning , Kate Sullivan is easy on the eyes, I dont allow NY1 in my house at all, their news is always bad news and who needs that.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:06 PM

346 posts, read 1,257,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyFromBrooklyn View Post
I dont allow NY1 in my house at all, their news is always bad news and who needs that.
Because the world isn't kitties and puppies, and the world needs more news programs that doesn't end in a feel good story about some old person living to be over a hundred, or some guy teaching misguided youth. I feel that the thought that bad news has to be balanced out by good news and feel good stories in the American press is partially the reason why our media is so unreliable, hence why I get my news from the BBC and Reuters

Old 08-29-2009, 08:53 PM

922 posts, read 3,863,697 times
I like the 7:00 News with Chuck Scarborough on WNBC's digital channel although I usually tune in after 7:30 because I end up watching Jeopardy or I'm not home until then. It's probably not going to last much longer. There appears to be very few paid advertisements. I'm rarely home for the 6:00 News, but I like Chuck and Sue on Channel 4. I actually like Sue Simmons more after her infamous on-air use of the F-word last year F-in hilarious.

I tune in mostly for the weather. I get my real news from the NY Times. Its funny how TV news shows - local and national - seem get their content right out of the Times. Don't they literally read the NY Times on one of the NY1 shows?

I skip the 11:00 news entirely in favor of the Daily Show, which is much more insightful (only partial sarcasm). If there is nothing better on at 10:00, I'll check out Fox 5.

In the morning its Channel 4. My wife likes it and the Today Show. Speaking of morning news anchors, Darlene Rodriguez is "easy on the eyes" too.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:58 PM

730 posts, read 2,256,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I was recently in another city in the midwest and whenever I travel I realize how amateurish and bad their newscasts are and how incredibly top-notch ours are in NYC.

I'm not a huge news person actually, but I do love Eyewitness News on 7. I also think that Channel 5 news is probably the best one - I know that all my life they've been the best. I just for some reason like 7 better, but I watch 5 also. And News 4 New York is awesome too. About the only one I don't care for is 2.

I like also on 7 that from the local news they go into the national newscast with Charlie Gibson. I'm more a fan of the Today show and don't like GMA, but I always liked Charlie Gibson, he was a great choice to take over the 7 news dynasty.

I also like Lee Goldberg the best of all for weather. He is just the right balance of all the good qualities of a great weatherman.
It's funny that you posted this. We are from Arkansas, but visit NY often. On the last trip we actually had enough down time to flip on the news there. Within 5 minutes of watching- no joke-my husband and I turned to each other at the same time and said "Now THAT is real news". Seriously, right or wrong or newscast here would seem like some sort of Saturday Night Live parody.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,480,099 times
My favorite is Fox-5 and I love Good Day NY.

Channel 9 (Fox-5s sister station) I dislike --- I've always associated it w/NJ for some reason.

Channel 11 (CW/PIX), I'm not too crazy about either, although I will watch them at 10p if Fox-5 is interrupted for some reason.

Sunday mornings, I enjoy CBS.

I used to love Today on weekends but the one anchor guy (can't remember his name) --- his hair was driving me NUTS and I stopped watching. First, he had "male pattern baldness" where he was balding on the sides and then had hair only in the middle (like a strange mohawk). Then, he shaves it all off, but you can still see the pattern of where his hair was. I mean, can't he hire a makeup artist to cover it up?? Or get a wig or something? It's so distracting! It almost reminds me of a woman who got her "bikini line" waxed and left the rest! (LOL! Sorry if that was gross)

Old 08-30-2009, 02:55 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,711,211 times
I like News 12. It's local news depending in the borough that you live.

I love NY 1.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-30-2009 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Same poster, same subject

Old 08-30-2009, 05:18 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,606,052 times
I am a news junkie, but I channel hop a lot because of the constant commercials. I always check out New York 1 and News 12 the Bronx. The other networks seem interchangable to a certain extent(everyone does the weather, sports, etc at the same time) and they often "tease" you about something they are going to cover but keep you waiting through the whole show (of course that's "show biz"). I've heard that news channels generally hurt for ratings, so maybe that's why many of them seem more like infotainment.

Oh yeah, I love the NY1 "In the Papers" segment in the mornings, and their local reporting on different neighborhoods, etc.

But I also watch CNN, MSNBC, and FOX.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
I love Mary Calvi.................she's HOT!!!

She should really be national. Not kidding

Old 03-28-2010, 01:28 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,820,970 times
Well, your list is incomplete as there are a host of cable news channels you don't list, such as, MSNBC
CNBC, etc.

I watch MSNBC's "Morning Joe" (politics) and CNBC's "Squawk Box", simultaneously each morning. I also switch off and watch NY1 and/or FoxNews, as well as C-span's "Washington Journal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City