Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM

11 posts, read 41,865 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on commuting by car into manhattan-- where to live for a short commute into manhattan --- should I look at brooklyn (park slope, cobble hill) or suburbs (LI, NJ)? I'm looking at a 30-45 mins commute.

The subway is not possible for an every day commute in my situation.

Thanks
Aqua
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Yikes...when are you planning to enter and exit the city each day? If you factor in traffic, to make that 30-45 min commute possible you need to be in a town right next to the city either in Brooklyn, Queens, or NJ.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
Yikes indeed. You can spend 30-45 minutes just getting through the Lincoln Tunnel in the morning.

In ideal conditions, you can reach Manhattan from most parts of Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx or close NJ locations in one hour or less, but ideal conditions are rare. If your work hours are not the standard 9-5 type of thing, driving may be generally easier, but traffic is always unpredictable. I have sailed through the Midtown Tunnel at 5:30 and I've been stuck in horrendous traffic at midnight on a Tuesday. All it takes is one minor accident blocking a lane or two.

But your biggest problem isn't driving time... it's the cost of parking: $45-$60 a day in Manhattan. Also, if you live in any neighborhood close to Manhattan (in Brooklyn, Queens or NJ), parking where you live will be difficult and/or expensive. The Brooklyn nabes you mentioned - Park Slope and Cobble Hill - have notoriously difficult parking.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
What time do you have to be in?

Being ahead of rush hour makes a world of difference.

If you're in at say 7am, you have an easy commute, traffic wise, no matter where you're coming from. I'd say that's the case til about 8:30. I've driven in many times from Astoria leaving 8:30 or before, it takes less than 30 minutes to midtown, Rockefeller Center.

Also, if you're parking in a garage, and paying out of pocket, most of them have an "early bird" special price.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:15 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
The traffic in NJ gets bad EARLY. Like around 7AM. The helix at the Lincoln Tunnel can be significantly clogged by then. And if there's an accident it can take an hour just to get down the helix.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:15 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Yikes indeed. You can spend 30-45 minutes just getting through the Lincoln Tunnel in the morning.
Yup lol thats why I said he has to live virtually right next to a major crossing into the city to have a chance. I live right off Blvd East not even a quarter mile from the Lincoln Tunnel and it takes me 30-40 min just to get onto the NYC side of the tunnel!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:26 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Perhaps look at Roosevelt Island or Astoria in Queens.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:27 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Also, if you're parking in a garage, and paying out of pocket, most of them have an "early bird" special price.
Good point about the early bird specials. I only park in Manhattan when I can expense it

I'd say that coming from NJ is generally worse than from Brooklyn or Queens, because of the tunnel bottlenecks. I drive to work in Manhattan from Sheepshead Bay a few times a month because I have to go our warehouse in NJ or deal with some other errand and generally hit surprisingly little traffic on the Belt Pkwy, Battery Tunnel or FDR, although the Gowanus gets a little backed up at the Tunnel/BQE split. Going crosstown in Manhattan is usually the worst part. Generally, its a 45-60 minute trip for me on a weekday morning, and a 35 minute trip in ideal conditions.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I'd also consider Riverdale in The Bronx, since you can get to Manhattan in that time window, and don't have a tunnel, or major bridge (only the Henry Hudson Bridge) to cross.

ETA: And, if you want the FDR, you can take the Deegan to 138th and take one of the Bridges to Manhattan, or you can just get on Broadway in Inwood and turn left at Dyckman to follow to the Harlem River Drive to the FDR.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 PM

11 posts, read 41,865 times
I need to be in by 9 AM -- i would consider an early commute to beat traffic.
So, NJ is out then. The options are Brooklyn, Bronx? How about Westchester?

What is the usual park slope to midtown commute in the morning/evening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City