Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 PM

168 posts, read 908,903 times

Advertisements

In July 1967 my family moved from CA to NYC. My father was to attend Columbia U for two years to earn his Doctorate. We were mother, father and 5 children (!). I was 13 and the oldest.

We moved into a university-housing 2 bedroom apt on 121st St between Broadway and Amsterdam. Cramped? Oh yeah, but so exciting to be in the big city. I attended 8th grade at the local PS on 125th St. I don't think my clueless parents knew that was Harlem, but no matter, the school was pretty good. And I learned what it's like to be in a minority! For 9th grade I attended The Calhoun School (all girls) on the UWS near Riverside. There were daughters of celebs there. It was a very different experience from the year before.

I got to walk past Columbia (I think on Broadway) when the students had taken over some of the buildings. Some of them sat on the window ledge, their legs dangling over the side. They had a bucket on a pulley so that people on the street could send up food.

One day my girlfriend and I took the subway to the Village to go to Cafe Wha? even though we had been expressly told not to. We got in trouble, but it was worth it, haha.

I hung out with fellow University-related friends, and also non-University-related friends on 122nd street. We were white, black, and Puerto Rican and you know what? We didn't see color or race. We were all just kids and we got along great.

I have other stories, but this is long enough. I love reading this forum and remembering those 2 wonderful years in NYC. I'm a little jealous of those of you who are still lucky enough to be living there. Thanks for walking with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 PM

939 posts, read 2,314,075 times
may 1968 ... i was born in brooklyn

Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 PM

182 posts, read 512,460 times
great stories! Mod cut: not a chat board

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-02-2009 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: Not a chat board.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,424 times
Do you remember your building number on 121st Street? I'm a grad student at Columbia and I'm living on 121st between Broadway and Amsterdam right now. But I'm in a building that's only 4-5 years old. It's the only new building on the block, though, all of the others look to be the original old apartment houses.

I kind of like this neighborhood's quiet, studious vibe. Plus the church bells on Sunday mornings from the cathedral a couple blocks away are kind of nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
In July 1967 my family moved from CA to NYC. My father was to attend Columbia U for two years to earn his Doctorate. We were mother, father and 5 children (!). I was 13 and the oldest.

We moved into a university-housing 2 bedroom apt on 121st St between Broadway and Amsterdam. Cramped? Oh yeah, but so exciting to be in the big city. I attended 8th grade at the local PS on 125th St. I don't think my clueless parents knew that was Harlem, but no matter, the school was pretty good. And I learned what it's like to be in a minority! For 9th grade I attended The Calhoun School (all girls) on the UWS near Riverside. There were daughters of celebs there. It was a very different experience from the year before.

I got to walk past Columbia (I think on Broadway) when the students had taken over some of the buildings. Some of them sat on the window ledge, their legs dangling over the side. They had a bucket on a pulley so that people on the street could send up food.

One day my girlfriend and I took the subway to the Village to go to Cafe Wha? even though we had been expressly told not to. We got in trouble, but it was worth it, haha.

I hung out with fellow University-related friends, and also non-University-related friends on 122nd street. We were white, black, and Puerto Rican and you know what? We didn't see color or race. We were all just kids and we got along great.

I have other stories, but this is long enough. I love reading this forum and remembering those 2 wonderful years in NYC. I'm a little jealous of those of you who are still lucky enough to be living there. Thanks for walking with me.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 PM

168 posts, read 908,903 times
Wow, a new building on 121st St? That surprises me. I don't remember our street number, but the building was (is) called Bancroft. It was much closer to Amsterdam than Broadway and had a nice courtyard in the front.

It was a good place to live and I'm glad you're enjoying it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City