Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLITTLE349 View Post
30-45 mins into Wall St.
If I were you I would zero in on Brooklyn Heights.It's one of the best neighborhoods in the city with a very,very short commute to Wall Street and very decent elementary schools.You may have to rethink the public/private school question at the middle or high school level but that is a long way off and you really shouldn't worry about it right now with a 2 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,752 times
Get off the high horse, you poor schleps. Let people make the money they make and ask the questions they want.

The best public schools in the city are in the Upper East and barely within your 30-45 min. travel limit. Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope in Brooklyn are desirable too but the schools are more hit-and-miss. As that NYT article says, there are single good schools in Tribeca and the Village too but getting into them is hard and even requires a lottery these days.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
If you don't mind living downtown, look at TriBeCa. There are some excellent neighborhood schools in the area, and on your income, you would be able to find a family apartment in the area. The commute to the Financial District is very easy.

However, if you prefer an older, lower-scale (height, not economically) neighborhood, as opposed to taller high rise buildings with modern apartments, I'd agree with bluedog2 that Brooklyn Heights would definitely be an area to consider. In Brooklyn Heights, one has the charm of an historic neighborhood mixed with some great views, and an easy commute to Lower Manhattan.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-07-2009, 04:54 PM

53 posts, read 176,000 times
Should I feel I am "average" and I don't get it ?
A family of three can live with $ 50.000 in NY and many do.
Mod cut: TOS violation

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-07-2009 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
Yes, it's possible. Esp. if you only have one kid.

You're borderline, though, because you'll be able to afford so much more out in the suburbs you'll be gritting your teeth at times.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
you guys make a combine total of 250k? why dont you twp try to purchase a coop or a condominium if you to want an above standard of living. as for schools for your child try the upper east side the upperwest soho and tribeca. when your child hits teens send him to private or parochole for s decent education. thats just my two cents and sorry about the spellingim posting from a cellphone.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 AM

85 posts, read 192,166 times
How about Dyker Heights in Brooklyn NY. Blue Ribbon private schools and express bus to Wall Street is 20 minutes.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 PM

656 posts, read 1,419,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLITTLE349 View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to NYC with our 2 year old. Household income around $250,000. Given that it's NYC, wondering if there are any places that offer a good education and decent place to live. We are currently in central Connecticut, but don't want to do over a 30 mins commute. Are there decent public schools? Kid friendly? Any thoughts/recommendations? Even tips on sites to search welcome!
That's more than enough money to live in new york city, however I do not know if you have any special circumstances, do you take a lot of vacations, do you have a lot of out of pocket expenses such as health care premiums, are you hit with the AMT.

Even a household income of 125k would do, new york rents have fallen and home prices will still high are not as high.

What kind of place do you want to live in? Apartment, condo, house with yard (if so how big, we are not talking an acre but you can probably get a decent sized yard).

35-40 minutes will give you a plethora of options at that salary. As for schools, I am not sure what you are looking for, are you looking for the very top, or just decent but well performing (may lack the bells and whistles), education sometimes depends on the student, however you do want a school that does perform well and the children are motivated and too rowdy as many inner city school districts. Have you considered private, if so how much are you willing to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City