Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 PM

51 posts, read 170,703 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, could anyone tell me exactly where 267 East 55th street in Brooklyn is? I lived there until I was 12 years old and attended PS 244 down the street. This was back in the 70's and I've never been back. Since some Brooklyn neighborhoods are a little notorious I am curious to find out where exactly I spent my childhood. I always believed it was Flatbush but while talking it over with my mother today she says it wasn't really all the way in Flatbush, or something lke that.

I also remember my Aunt and my six cousins all lived in a big house on Miller Ave...if anyone could tell me exactly what neighborhood that's in I'd appreciate it.

Whenever someone mentions neighborhoods like Flatbush or East New York, I've always thought to myself "I would be too scared to even walk down the street in those places." And although it sounds as if the neighborhoods themselves have changed drastically since I was there, it's a little ironic to think I've already lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
267 East 55th is just off Church Avenue. You could call that East Flatbush.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the speedy info.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
You can even see what it looks like on the ever-amazing street view
267 e 55th st brooklyn ny - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/yfk6dls - broken link)

Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 PM

Thanks. That's really kind of surreal for me. Except for the awnings out front and I think the little gate, it looks exactly the same as it did when I lived there. My parents owned the place and the day they sold it in 1979 I remember playing with the kids of the new owners. I wonder if the same people own it today.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
Thanks. That's really kind of surreal for me. Except for the awnings out front and I think the little gate, it looks exactly the same as it did when I lived there. My parents owned the place and the day they sold it in 1979 I remember playing with the kids of the new owners. I wonder if the same people own it today.
I can understand exactly how you feel. I've been back to the building my grandmother once owned in Brownsville (where I lived as a kid). It looks almost exactly the way it did all those years ago, but of course that's the only thing not to have changed!

Old 10-15-2009, 03:03 PM

Exactly. Knowing its located in a part of Brooklyn I'd be nervous to even ride through now has a twilight-zone effect.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
Quote:
Exactly. Knowing its located in a part of Brooklyn I'd be nervous to even ride through now has a twilight-zone effect.
actually that particular area isn't so bad especially during the day time. Its the areas around Nostrand that get a little hectic, but during the day its ok if you ever want to go back and take a visit. Just hard working Caribbean people there.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:27 PM

It would be cool to visit although the second hand information I get usually makes all of Flatbush sound like an armed war zone where the residents have to huddle indoors because its dangerous to go outside. But if I could back and see the old building, as well as my school and the church I used to go too that would be a pretty intense experience for me.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:37 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
Quote:
It would be cool to visit although the second hand information I get usually makes all of Flatbush sound like an armed war zone where the residents have to huddle indoors because its dangerous to go outside. But if I could back and see the old building, as well as my school and the church I used to go too that would be a pretty intense experience for me.
That is not true, I think its one of those places where you'd have to actually live there or be there like around 2am if you were to come across a lot of the criminal activity. During the day time, especially east 55th street, its alot more come. That particular block tends to be the more calmer blocks day or night, especially since its further away from nostrand ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: