Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,514 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the process of evicting a tenant and want to kmow how I can blacklist them so future landlords do not have the problems that I have experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,334,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrock1 View Post
I am currently in the process of evicting a tenant and want to kmow how I can blacklist them so future landlords do not have the problems that I have experienced.
That tenant will appear when a landlord does a housing court check. So the tenant is already blacklisted.
The "blacklist" is the list of tenants who have been sued and taken to housing court.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 AM

979 posts, read 4,462,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
That tenant will appear when a landlord does a housing court check. So the tenant is already blacklisted.
The "blacklist" is the list of tenants who have been sued and taken to housing court.
Not necessarily true. According to the Class Action Blacklisting Settlement of 2006 the following:
o Reports will include the actual disposition of all eviction cases;

o Reports will highlight the absence of any activity for at least 12 months in eviction cases abandoned by landlords;

o FAR will expunge cases from its database that were found to be without merit or which were brought in error;

o Reports will contain a prominent notice advising prospective landlords that the fact an eviction proceeding was brought does not represent an adverse disposition or that the tenant was evicted.

I would advise any tenant to request, in a settlement with their LL that the eviction suit be withdrawn because it was without merit or brought in error so as not to be reported to the 5 or so agencies that pick up court records. It was automatic before this lawsuit but because of obvious damage by baseless lawsuits this class action suit was brought.
A tenant would have this leverage simply because of the time and expense for a LL in LL/Tenant court.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM

461 posts, read 2,002,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post

This "blacklist" is a great tool for LLs to weed out the undesirables. I use it all the time and has worked wonders for me. I recommend all Landlords to use this tenant screening tool to better the quality of tenants in their building.

I also recommend to treat it just like a job interview, meet face to face with every prospective tenant (including every occupant) so you can properly "size them up" on their character, physical appearance (dress wise), and the way they carry themselves overall. Many times just reading the rental application isn't enough and doesn't tell the whole story about the prospective tenant and their lifestyle. On paper they may look fine but if you were to meet them in person, sometimes their character can undo any good that was on the application. It's a certain vibe or gut feeling you get when you meet a propspective tenant in person that out weighs what's on paper. Always go with your gut feeling! That's how you avoid undesirable from renting your apartments.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM

142 posts, read 419,234 times
I'm a LL and I don't agree with the "blacklist." I think that it could be abused and used for discrimination. I could see land lords having "code words" and such to point out people from targeted backgrounds.

During my interview process I found that the $40 processing fee weeded out MOST of the "bad" tenants. Also, I do a back ground and credit check. I ask for a letter of employment also.

Luckily I found an elderly renter whos daughter lives in the neighborhood. Since they have ties to the community and neighborhood they treat my property nicely. I own in ATL so I'm sure that renting is much more difficult here. But with the proper screening I don't there is a need for a "black list."

Old 06-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
I'm a LL and I don't agree with the "blacklist." I think that it could be abused and used for discrimination. I could see land lords having "code words" and such to point out people from targeted backgrounds.

During my interview process I found that the $40 processing fee weeded out MOST of the "bad" tenants. Also, I do a back ground and credit check. I ask for a letter of employment also.

Luckily I found an elderly renter whos daughter lives in the neighborhood. Since they have ties to the community and neighborhood they treat my property nicely. I own in ATL so I'm sure that renting is much more difficult here. But with the proper screening I don't there is a need for a "black list."
Discrimination is such a broad word in my opinion. It's used very loosily by people trying to scare LLs so they can loosen up their rental criteria and rent to them despite their "flaws". You have people that claim discrimination because the LL requires the tenant to have good credit and they don't so they think its discrimination against people with bad credit. Or denying people who have dogs if no dogs are allowed in the building with the exception of a medically needed dog of coarse or discriminating against people who smoke, or people who are convicted felons, etc.

We as humans are ALL judgemental and rightfully so. LLs are no different. They don't want a certain type of people that will create problems for them down the road. So if a prospective tenant has been taken to court for non-payment, a previous holdover or whatever, and then this tenant applies to one of my apts, after I do a through tenant screening on him and discover he's been evicted before then I'm a deny him. Just like criminals have a "wrap" sheet, so do tenants.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,043,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Discrimination is such a broad word in my opinion. It's used very loosily by people trying to scare LLs so they can loosen up their rental criteria and rent to them despite their "flaws". You have people that claim discrimination because the LL requires the tenant to have good credit and they don't so they think its discrimination against people with bad credit. Or denying people who have dogs if no dogs are allowed in the building with the exception of a medically needed dog of coarse or discriminating against people who smoke, or people who are convicted felons, etc.

We as humans are ALL judgemental and rightfully so. LLs are no different. They don't want a certain type of people that will create problems for them down the road. So if a prospective tenant has been taken to court for non-payment, a previous holdover or whatever, and then this tenant applies to one of my apts, after I do a through tenant screening on him and discover he's been evicted before then I'm a deny him. Just like criminals have a "wrap" sheet, so do tenants.
Victor, why do you always sound angry in your posts?

If being a LL is so miserable why do you do it?

You seem like you might be a cool dude, but always sound so tense? Are you an Aries? LOL!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:33 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,043,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post

I'm not a LL, but I agree about the discrimination thing. I'm black, so I guess I'm sensitive to anything that smacks like it could put me in a "redline" position.

I know that NYC is a racist city, more racist than the south and other parts of the country in my opinion. At least in these areas, you know who doesnt like you, because they have no problem letting you know.

It's cities like NYC where it's invisible (but not REALLY) you can tell just by looking at the workforce, the neighborhoods, etc.. You know? It's kind of obvious when there aren't too many "diverse" neighborhoods and it's 2010 already.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 14,093 times
I'm a tenant and the tenant blacklist doesn't faze me. I'm for it. IMO there should be a LL blacklist.
I've had some LLs that all they wanted was their rent and wouldn't fix any problems in the apartment. I've actually had to take a landlord to court because we had a major rodent and bug problem that he wouldn't take care of, had a major leak that wasn't being taken care of properly, electrical problems, the apt below us was being used as a sublet with new people moving in and out every week. And that was just to name a few things. The list went on. LLs like that should be blacklisted.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynangel718 View Post
I'm a tenant and the tenant blacklist doesn't faze me. I'm for it. IMO there should be a LL blacklist.
I've had some LLs that all they wanted was their rent and wouldn't fix any problems in the apartment. I've actually had to take a landlord to court because we had a major rodent and bug problem that he wouldn't take care of, had a major leak that wasn't being taken care of properly, electrical problems, the apt below us was being used as a sublet with new people moving in and out every week. And that was just to name a few things. The list went on. LLs like that should be blacklisted.

I agree with the LL blacklist because there are a lot of slumlords that give the good landlords a bad name. So I'm all for it. Hopefully that'll teach those slumlords to maintain their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City