Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:54 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,894 times

Advertisements

Interesting topic I thought to bring up since we have several Landlords in this forum as well as tons of tenants in the forum to.

What are your thoughts about a tenant blacklist?

A tenant blacklist (for those who don't know) is information shared by and between Landlords which basically informs and warns Landlords if a prospective tenant is considered undesirable due to: late rent payments, didn't pay rent at all, destroyed the apartment, altered or modified the apartment, having illegal pets, having undesirable occupants living with the lease holder, has been taken to court for non-payment, had holdovers, played excessive loud music, used or sold drugs, broke or didn't obey building rules and regulations, etc.....

Pretty much anything that would tip off the Landlord that a prospective tenant might turn out to be undesirable or a difficult tenant to deal with.

If you get on this tenant blacklist, chances are no Landlord would rent to you because of your rental and behaviorial history as a Tenant.

Last edited by victorfox; 12-05-2009 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Interesting topic I thought to bring up since we have several Landlords in this forum as well as tons of tenants in the forum to.

A tenant blacklist (for those who don't know) is information shared by and between Landlords which basically informs and warns Landlords if a prospective tenant is considered undesirable due to: late rent payments, didn't pay rent at all, destroyed the apartment, altered or modified the apartment, having illegal pets, having undesirable occupants living with the lease holder, has been taken to court for non-payment, had holdovers, played excessive loud music, used or sold drugs, broke or didn't obey building rules and regulations, etc.....

Pretty much anything that would tip off the Landlord that a prospective tenant might turn out to be undesirable or a difficult tenant to deal with.

If you get on this tenant blacklist, chances are no Landlord would rent to you because of your rental and behaviorial history as a Tenant.
what the difference between this and obtaining housing court records on somebody? which is very easy to do.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
what the difference between this and obtaining housing court records on somebody? which is very easy to do.

From my understanding, some of the information available to Lanldords from the blacklist goes beyond the housing court records. Housing court records can't tell you the full story if a tenant is undesirable other than not paying their rent. It goes more into depth based on the previous landlord's observation and experience with the tenant.

I guess it also screens for their character which housing court records don't. You can have a tenant that pays on time but at the same time complains about every little thing and is difficult to deal with. It creates headaches and grief for the landlord which he can do without regardless of the tenant paying his rent on time.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Quote:
From my understanding, some of the information available to Lanldords from the blacklist goes beyond the housing court records. Housing court records can't tell you the full story if a tenant is undesirable other than not paying their rent. It goes more into depth based on the previous landlord's observation and experience with the tenant.

I guess it also screens for their character which housing court records don't. You can have a tenant that pays on time but at the same time complains about every little thing and is difficult to deal with. It creates headaches and grief for the landlord which he can do without regardless of the tenant paying his rent on time.
That goes beyond facts, however (character is all relative!). And I believe there would be legal recourse for those who are libeled in that kind of document. Bad idea.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:15 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,474,305 times
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. If you create a list like this, you WILL be sued for slander.... and you WILL lose. How are you going to say that someone is a drug dealer unless there is a court conviction? how are you going to say someone is "undesirable" as a tenant unless you have concrete proof of this?

Why not create a "blacklist" of landlords?? You know, the slumlords who don't fix things but are there salivating with their hand out on rent day. Or, better yet, the ones who patch things and claims it's "fixed"

If a LL wants to do due diligence before renting an apartment, he/she can simply check public records (housing court, criminal court, etc). The "blacklist" you're proposing is absurd.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
Actually, there is a "list" - it's called asking for references from previous landlords. A good tenant will have no problem getting one; a troublesome tenant will not.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:59 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,474,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Actually, there is a "list" - it's called asking for references from previous landlords. A good tenant will have no problem getting one; a troublesome tenant will not.

Bingo!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
That goes beyond facts, however (character is all relative!). And I believe there would be legal recourse for those who are libeled in that kind of document. Bad idea.
I agree. The same thing can be said of employers who blacklist an ex-employee in the same way.

The landlord can be sued for such things, because you don't know the true background behind every story or if someone has changed or not.

Wrong on so many levels.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM

Yeah theres alot of issues that can create problems.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 PM

111 posts, read 392,673 times
Quote:

Doesn't bother me at all. I'm all for the free exchange of information. Now as a a landlord you have to be careful about the information you supply. Pretty easy to show somebody didn't pay their rent on time, numerous complaints, etc. Unless the Landlord say something that they knew was false they have not committed libel (or slander I guess if this list is word of mouth or something).

However, there could be actually specific laws against this for all I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City