Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

Nahh...it has the hood element..but it is not the hood. It has housing projects, but that is no longer the driving force in the community...it is just one of them now..same goes for UWS/Chelsea/Hells Kitchen...the elements are there..but its not the hood anymore. If you want to talk about specifically the housing projects ..then yes..it is still hood,..but if you want to talk about the LES, and Ave C/D the answer is no..it is not still hood..but the hood is there. There is a difference.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It really isn't still the hood, but some of that element of the neighborhood is still there...as it is to some degree or another in similar neighborhoods. Understand the difference? You can say the same thing about chelsea, it has housing projects and that element is still there..but it is not still the hood...same goes for hells kitchen and the upper west side.
I never found Chelsea to be remotely "hood". I honestly didn't even know those were projects until someone told me. I understand what you're saying.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM

912 posts, read 1,085,456 times
Damn, caught the buck 50 on his way to 106 & Park? Out of all places? SMH.

Creeps slash honor student in face near his LES junior high school

I'm startin' to wonder, i know it isn't as bad as when i was livin' out there as a kid (1996-1999) but is these gang slashings still outta control? Out in Wash Heights, this was a problem, hope it gotten better though.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Damn, caught the buck 50 on his way to 106 & Park? Out of all places? SMH.

Creeps slash honor student in face near his LES junior high school

I'm startin' to wonder, i know it isn't as bad as when i was livin' out there as a kid (1996-1999) but is these gang slashings still outta control? Out in Wash Heights, this was a problem, hope it gotten better though.
someone was murdered their yesterday on ave d & east 4th or east 3rd. shot

Old 04-28-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
It really isn't still the hood, but some of that element of the neighborhood is still there...as it is to some degree or another in similar neighborhoods. Understand the difference? You can say the same thing about chelsea, it has housing projects and that element is still there..but it is not still the hood...same goes for hells kitchen and the upper west side.
avenue c, d & fdr drive are the hood parts of lower east side , once you get to avenue c , most of the buildings are low rent buildings & the area is filled with housing projects/SECTION 8 APARTMENTS

Old 04-29-2010, 10:15 AM

looks like brooklyn had a hot night of killings.

Brooklyn
A Canarsie woman was found stabbed to death last night in her home.
Maritza Jolliffe, 53, was discovered with a single stab wound to her chest at around 7:20 p.m. in the basement of her three-story home on East 81st Street near Flatlands Avenue, cops said.
Her niece made the grisly discovery.
Police later picked up the victim's boyfriend and were questioning him early today. Sources said he and Jolliffe had a history of domestic violence.
A man found on a Canarsie sidewalk yesterday was initially believed to be passed-out drunk, but was actually mortally wounded by a bullet, sources said.
Sheriek Ellis, 35, was discovered at around 3:20 a.m. near the Breukelen Houses on East 104th Street at Glenwood Road. He was rushed to Kings County Hospital where he died.
A broad-daylight shooting yesterday left a man dead in Flatbush.
The killer shot the 30-year-old victim at 3:30 p.m. during an argument on Foster Avenue near East 25th Street.
[LEFT]
Read more: NYPD Daily Blotter - NYPOST.com
[/LEFT]

Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,406 times
Default 2 shot in Chinese restaurant robbery

Two employees were shot during a robbery Saturday morning at a Chinese restaurant - 5/01/10 - New York News and Tri-State News - 7online.com

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Does anyone believe the bomb threat in Times Square qualifies as crime in NYC? I see this as something seperate...not crime but overall terrorism and should be classified as such. For example, had that bomb went off and killed 20 people, I don't think it should show up as 20 murders, although they were technically murdered. Sadly, maybe a new category should be started indicating murders via terrorism, like the WTC attacks, which would be seperate from the regular crime stats.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Does anyone believe the bomb threat in Times Square qualifies as crime in NYC? I see this as something seperate...not crime but overall terrorism and should be classified as such. For example, had that bomb went off and killed 20 people, I don't think it should show up as 20 murders, although they were technically murdered. Sadly, maybe a new category should be started indicating murders via terrorism, like the WTC attacks, which would be seperate from the regular crime stats.
you are right if a bomb killed 100 people they would tell you nyc has this amount of murders in 2010 aside from the bombings.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 AM

966 posts, read 2,446,259 times
I see a somewhat obvious connection between the recent increase of unchecked or untreated mental illnesses, triggered largely by the recession, and the recent rash of violent crimes and robberies. It's happening here in Madison, too. People are losing it. I'm not making excuses, but it does help to look at some of the root causes. Desperate people do desperate things in desperate times. This is not new.

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City