Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 AM

447 posts, read 1,563,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Don't paint a pretty picture for most of these thugs. They are obviously dropping out of school and I hear the same old story, they want to deal drugs cause they want to have the money, the expensive clothes, material things and get some women. I know plenty of young thugs (friends and family in Philadelphia and Camden) that decided to join gangs, drop out of school, rebel against their parents wishes to sell drugs. They know about the dangers of getting arrested or getting kill. they don't care. I don't feel sorry for these thugs. I was close to one, my nephew. He still out there in Philly and he is the worse influence to his little brother and sister. Hope he gets arrested and goes away, but if he gets kill, then is his choosing. I might share a tear to my sister but not for him. We try many times to get him out of the streets. But he is making the cash so he does not listen. He is gone from our family anyway. It is a hard decision that we make, but we have to. Also I blame my sister for having these children with another thug of an ex husband. She had these children with the worst role model there can be. She should not had these children in the first place. At least my other nephew is doing good in school and he is 15 years old. I am glad we have had a good influence on him. Or so I think.
You listen to too much rap. There have been surveys of young drug dealers and the overwhelming majority have said if they could get a real job they would take it. Let me ask you something, if you had to pay the rent,food,bills,etc and you parent(s) was out of work and you didn't have a job either how would you make your money? Starve or start making some money? Sorry but McDonald wont make the rent.
You say MOST want

expensive clothes,women,and the money.
MOST do not wear expensive clothes, Most probably are single,MOST cornerboys make $40-$60 a day. How will you get $100 jeans with all your money going to necessities? The only dealers who make real money are the kingpins who can pull in $20,000,000 a week. Those are the guys with a Rolls Royce or the expensive clothes.
Also,you think anybody "chooses" to die? That is just plain ignorant.
Most drug dealers dont live past 25. I can safely say 80% will be paralyzed,dead,or locked up before 25. They also know that.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am glad you know how the drug trade works. Please go talk to Ray Kelly and enlighten/educate him with your inside knowledge so he can solve the drug problem in NYC. At the end of the day, whether it's a small time dealer, big time dealer, a kid who 'is just making a buck"....the effect is all the same on the community. If you are going to be a part of the drug game, why would someone feel bad when you are killed by the drug game? Just don't do it...and then we won't have those 500 deaths.
As long as people want drugs someone is going to rise up and provide them. Prohibtion is and has always been a failure.

Poor inner city NYers are especally in a squeeze because they are always competing for jobs with immigrants. America needs to stop low/non skilled immigration.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
You listen to too much rap. There have been surveys of young drug dealers and the overwhelming majority have said if they could get a real job they would take it. Let me ask you something, if you had to pay the rent,food,bills,etc and you parent(s) was out of work and you didn't have a job either how would you make your money? Starve or start making some money? Sorry but McDonald wont make the rent.
You say MOST want

expensive clothes,women,and the money.
MOST do not wear expensive clothes, Most probably are single,MOST cornerboys make $40-$60 a day. How will you get $100 jeans with all your money going to necessities? The only dealers who make real money are the kingpins who can pull in $20,000,000 a week. Those are the guys with a Rolls Royce or the expensive clothes.
Also,you think anybody "chooses" to die? That is just plain ignorant.
Most drug dealers dont live past 25. I can safely say 80% will be paralyzed,dead,or locked up before 25. They also know that.
I do not listen to too much RAP. I used to like it but I actually stop listening to such crap. It poisons the minds of our youth. Especially since I am Latino and I have seen what it does to people I know. My nephew loves rap music and see where he is at. Selling drugs and making cash. He ain't helping anyone but himself. He loves the money and the women that leash to him. Last I heard he already got this girl pregnant. I don't want to hear about it really. i don't care for him anymore. So are a lot of his friends i had talk to. Most are all rebels against their parents wishes. They are not helping their families. Anyway my other nephew is not into rap, he is more into rock and pop I think. He is doing so much better and so is my niece. Ok the point is I don't feel sorry for these thugs. They choose that path and want to destroy others with their drugs. No sympathy from me.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:09 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Wow, i've been busy working extra shifts for two days and about thirty new comments... @ Sobroguy it really doesn't make sense to reason with people like you. I should have stopped writing back once I sarcastically said I wouldn't respond to your comments because honestly... reading your comments gives me heartburn.

For time purposes I am only going to respond to the first new comment after I wrote which was at the end of page 56. First off for the 85th time, I grew up in East New York during the crack epidemic in the late 80s and early 90s so I ask you again please stop saying ignorant comments like I cant contribute to a crime thread and stop trying to discredit me, by leaving out important details...

Two, when you look to discredit other people, or respond to them in a sarcastic or negative manner which you havent just done to me, but to many others on this thread, your comment whether it is a valid one or not, loses all credibility since you need to resort to other methods to build up your comment by tearing down others. I am only doing this now since you put me on the defensive.

Three, you say that I keep on solely focusing on you repeating the same point over and over again while others repeating the same things I don't give attention to. Now let me counter that point with facts. NO ONE has mentioned the same crime twice. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE. I dont know what you're referring to exactly. Please be specific and dont just say something in the hopes that people forget what everyone else has written. Like i told you, if people are bringing up a crime that happens in a crime thread, then there is nothing wrong with that. If people say wow it was a bad week and 19 people were murdered... there is nothing wrong with that. They are not repeating information, they are simply expressing their sadness or their point of view for the current spike in murders.

You, on the other hand, choose to comment nearly every time someone mentions another murder to once again repeat your point that we are tired of hearing already and cant agree with more that crime is not what it was in the 70s, 80s or 90s. I mean pick another word. We've already used "bring something else to the table" twice we've used "broken record" to describe your comments, what else can we use???

On top of all this, you seem to not have a care in the world about the murders in this NYC unless it is over 1000 murders. You claim in the later pages that obviously 500 murders affects you and yet when someone said 1 murder is alot (which should be true for anyone, since there is nothing positive or pretty about a murder) you say that this person needs to write on another thread since his mentality is warped or whatever word you used. That comment write there shows how you really feel. Whether Mott Haven has desensitived you to crime, which is what seems to be true in your case, alot of crime is still happening. We have 8 million people granted but you fail to point out that there are many parts of NYC where hardly any crime at all happens. Also I highly doubt we have more than five times the amount of visitors in this city as our entire population. Please back up your statements with links and then ill believe you but that number seems ridiculously high and it seems as if you just put it to make a point (the made up number was too high though).

Now that being said, areas like Brownsville, East New York, Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, Flatbush, South Jamaica, Far Rock, Harlem and certain areas in the Bronx are still seeing crimes happen at a high rate. I think it was Mekitor that said that there were alot of other areas in the 90s that were like Brownsville and worse than Brownsville today??????????

That has to be one of the most idiotic comments i have ever read on a thread. Brownsville is and has been one of the worst areas in the whole country. That area is a war zone and i know because I lived right next to it for the longest time and passed by the Sutter projects and New Lots ave and East New York Ave on my way home from school many times. On top of that I continue to visit the area since I still have friends who haven't been killed there... yet. @ mekitor and sobroguy especially NO ONE IS COMPARING TODAYS TIMES TO BACK THEN. NO ONE. Shoud i say it again? or will you once again repeat the same thing... Please discuss something of more relevance to this thread and try not to get upset or knock someone else's comments simply because they are not the exact same opinions as yours. You say that you're open minded sobroguy and yet you try to discredit every persons comments that aren't similar to yours. How is that keeping an open mind?

You saw what happened when the link was put up that showed that crime is still below last years pace? I kept an open mind and agreed with you and actually gave you the benefit of the doubt. I said despite everything, what sobroguy said was true about crime. However, that being said, what people were referring to and you knew that but chose to conveniently ignore it in your comments was the violent crime rate. That has jumped not slightly but significantly and that is what we continue to talk about here because it is and will always be a CRIME THREAD. If you dont want the people on this thread to post crime or mention the obvious differences from this year to last year then I will tell you again this thread is not for you...

Last edited by anon1; 08-05-2010 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM

157 posts, read 394,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
I do not listen to too much RAP. I used to like it but I actually stop listening to such crap. It poisons the minds of our youth. Especially since I am Latino and I have seen what it does to people I know. My nephew loves rap music and see where he is at. Selling drugs and making cash. He ain't helping anyone but himself. He loves the money and the women that leash to him. Last I heard he already got this girl pregnant. I don't want to hear about it really. i don't care for him anymore. So are a lot of his friends i had talk to. Most are all rebels against their parents wishes. They are not helping their families. Anyway my other nephew is not into rap, he is more into rock and pop I think. He is doing so much better and so is my niece. Ok the point is I don't feel sorry for these thugs. They choose that path and want to destroy others with their drugs. No sympathy from me.
You sound beyond ignorant. Did you graduate high school? Doesn't sound like it. How could you misconstrue and discredit HIP HOP so much when you clearly know NOTHING about the genre. Once upon a time, hip hop saved many youths from a life of crime and helped them escape the horrors of unfettered poverty. There are different sub genres of hip hop such as GANGSTER RAP which sounds like what your relatives are listening to, which is okay although I wouldn't recommend it to the youngsters.

Anyway, had to get that off my chest, in regards to the article posted by newjerseykid I hope that guy never gets elected to anything important in our city. More police? Cracking down MORE on noise, graffiti, etc.? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This man needs to suffer a slow and painful death for saying such blasphemy. We don't need anymore conservative, police state nonsense in this city. It sucks. The day I get stopped by the cops for drinking outside or smoking reefer I'm leaving this city. I could not care less if a few kids are drinking and smoking weed near me and I love graffiti so I wouldn't care if we didn't spend a cent on buffing graffiti throughout the city. Maybe we could actually SAVE some money. We're such a safe city already why do we need to enforce more strict laws? Why do we need more police? I thought we were super safe so what are we all worried about?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
You sound beyond ignorant. Did you graduate high school? Doesn't sound like it. How could you misconstrue and discredit HIP HOP so much when you clearly know NOTHING about the genre. Once upon a time, hip hop saved many youths from a life of crime and helped them escape the horrors of unfettered poverty. There are different sub genres of hip hop such as GANGSTER RAP which sounds like what your relatives are listening to, which is okay although I wouldn't recommend it to the youngsters.
Correct. I just hate it when people put the blame on hip-hop when drugs, murders, and other sorts of crime have been happening BEFORE hip hop ever existed. In fact when hip hop first came about in the 70s when NYC was a lot worse, if it has that bad of an effect then the crime of today would surpass it of the 70s-80s.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Anon you are rewriting history..and we would not be having this conversation had you not asked 'what I am bringing to the table.' You think you are on the defensive? Right. Feel free to disagree with me, however at the end of the day YOU LIVE IN RIDGEWOOD, and somehow you are questioning me WHO LIVES IN MOTT HAVEN NOW AND FOR DECADES. Clearly cuz you spent a few years as a kid in Brooklyn you know all about crime in NYC today. Ok...reading the NY Daily News is a bad source by the way.

I stand by my assessment that while crimes do occur in NYC, and are higher in certain neighborhoods like my own, it is peanuts compared to what it was. Does it make my community "safe"? Nope..but where is? It is better however, monumentally so, but maybe from Ridgewood you would not know that. So while those whine and complain about how horrible crime is..the reality is it isn't horrible....we know what horrible is..and this ain't it, and longtime residents of NYC know this. Should we concerned about crime? Sure...knock yourself out..however at this time there is no reason to WORRY.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 PM

447 posts, read 1,563,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon you are rewriting history..and we would not be having this conversation had you not asked 'what I am bringing to the table.' You think you are on the defensive? Right. Feel free to disagree with me, however at the end of the day YOU LIVE IN RIDGEWOOD, and somehow you are questioning me WHO LIVES IN MOTT HAVEN NOW AND FOR DECADES. Clearly cuz you spent a few years as a kid in Brooklyn you know all about crime in NYC today. Ok...reading the NY Daily News is a bad source by the way.

I stand by my assessment that while crimes do occur in NYC, and are higher in certain neighborhoods like my own, it is peanuts compared to what it was. Does it make my community "safe"? Nope..but where is? It is better however, monumentally so, but maybe from Ridgewood you would not know that. So while those whine and complain about how horrible crime is..the reality is it isn't horrible....we know what horrible is..and this ain't it, and longtime residents of NYC know this. Should we concerned about crime? Sure...knock yourself out..however at this time there is no reason to WORRY.
Crime isn't horrible at all. But an increase in crime should be taken into consideration. If no one does anything about who is to say it wont get worse and worse before it gets out of control? A rise in crime means that something is going on that wasn't happening before. What if we finish this year at 530 murders. You will probably say "its only as bad as 2008". Then the next year it gets to 590 murders. Then you'll say "its only as bad as 2007." Pretty soon, if no action is taken, you'll be saying "its only as bad as 1988". You should worry about more murders Because more murders=more drugs. We all know what drugs does to a community.
Especially crack/cocaine.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
njnyckid dont even bother with Sobroguy. He is of the mentality that anyone who has lived in a bad area there entire lives and then moves to an ok area for a few years cannot speak on the matter on the crime. To Sobroguy since you are so convinced that crime only happens in Brooklyn and in Mott Haven why dont you pass by anywhere between Onderdonk through Wyckoff Ave. anytime after 8pm and see what happens to you??? Not a threat just stating that every neighborhood has its good parts and bad parts.

Now what makes you think that I lived in that area solely as a kid and that ive lived in Ridgewood my entire life... did i ever mention that in any post? Did i ever mention my age? Nope. There you go again, trying to discredit someone without any facts whatsoever. The reason why I told you bring something else to the table (which by the way weren't fighting words nor were they any reason to start a war of words with me or anyone else in the first place) was because you weren't just saying the same comment but you were trying to make people sound ignorant for talking about the recent violent crime increase, when in all honesty, they were just speaking what the facts are reporting. But you know what, I lived in ENY nearly my entire life and just moved over to Ridgewood for about five years so despite me knowing the neighborhood of ENY better than Ridgewood and still going over there to visit friends and family as well as Brownsville on a consistent basis, you know what you're right I have no reason to argue with someone like yourself. We are clearly not on the same level and never will be... thank god.

P.S. - "I stand by my assessment that while crimes do occur in NYC, and are higher in certain neighborhoods like my own, it is peanuts compared to what it was."

For those counting that is the 75th time that sobroguy has mentioned this comment in different ways even though I never disagreed with him in the first place about it...

P.S.2 - "So while those whine and complain about how horrible crime is..the reality is it isn't horrible....we know what horrible is..and this ain't it, and longtime residents of NYC know this."

For those who read this comment of Sobroguy please copy and paste where i said or anyone has said something to the effect crime is horrible and is reverting back to the days of the 70s... Lets give sobroguy some credibility please.

If not, then im done on this thread for certain; at least responding to him. It seems as if people like sobroguy just like to argue with others and stay close-minded so we should just let him speak his last words and then not answer him. He will always be right.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Crime happens everywhere..we know this..which is why I said...where is 'safe?' You are welcome to move on from this thread...I too will move on as soon as people stop fear mongering. If I didn't keep this thread in check, those who come on here and read the comments would think NYC is worse than Afghanistan. The reality is, crimes do occur here, but if you keep your nose clean, stay away from the homeys in the projects, and don't get involved in the drug game, you are highly unlikely to be murdered (as in a 100 in 56 million chance, or if you like 100 in 8 million chance). Other crimes do occur, basic street smarts should apply and you will do fine also.

At this point in time, the uptick in the murder rate is being met with a heavy hand by the police, and concerned citizens are speaking up. If the police were not vigilante, I would say we have a problem, but that's not the case. This uptick though is in fact normal, as crime rates, like housing, stocks, etc, do not go up (or down) in perpetuity, they go up some years, down others...but its the long -term trend that matters. And thus far, with a paultry 7 months of data, we may end up at 2008 numbers (the former record low). How exactly could people be worried? I mean really...when crime was going down down down..the same people were worried that it won't last! Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City