Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 AM

152 posts, read 476,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger
If you are going to work in the city every day, I would not recommend living on Long Island. It is too much of a commute. Astoria in Queens is a nice and safe neighborhood with still affordable rent.

NYSinger
I would have to agree with NYSinger. Although LI is still a very nice place to live, you should look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 21,412 times
thank you guys. A few family members who still live in NY have said to me to look into Astoria, I have a friend that stays in Elmhurst, thats who I stayed with when I went up in January 06 to take all of my tests. It looked like a nice area(looks are very deceiving). Thank you guys. And I do believe I will not regret working for the NYPD. My Uncle lives in Wading River and he said I can stay with him while I go to the academy, but thats a LONG commute.

5 posts, read 20,523 times
Default Welcome

Chris welcome to New York. There is a good reason why millions earn in New York and retire to Florida. I live in Orange/Rockland county with many friends in the NYPD. Our area is beautiful and very family oriented. Someone earlier mentioned high car insurance. Not always the case. Your more than welcome to call me or visit my webpage:
MOD CUT (advertising is not allowed on this forum)

Last edited by Yac; 07-26-2006 at 01:58 PM..

954 posts, read 4,377,174 times
Glad to hear you're coming to the City.
I think it smart to forget about a car for a while and rent somewhere in the five boroughs that has good subway access. Let yourself get settled in and then worry about the expense of a car/buying something etc.
I lived in Manhattan for 6 1/2 years and have been in Park Slope Brooklyn now for about 2 months. Just make sure that you find a place that has reasonable access to transportation and you really will not miss a car that much.
I grew up in Detroit where cars are everything, but don't really miss having one. I rent one on occasion.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 AM

59 posts, read 325,253 times
I live in Astoria now and am very happy with the neighborhood. It is very safe with a lot of nice restaurants/stuff to do. It's also close to Manhattan, 15-20 Minute train ride to Midtown Manhattan. Check craigslist for possibilities, too!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
Default Moving to NY from FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
Good morning, I had a question for you guys.
I currently live in Florida, and in January my fiance and I are going to be moving to the NYC/LI area.

We wanted to know of some nice/"cheaper"(if there is such a thing) places to rent an apartment so we can get settled in. I will be employed with the City of New York as a Police Officer, so obviously I would not be making alot of money, and my fiance currently works here in a bank as a teller. I do not know how much that pays up there.

I appreciate any of the help I can get...Thank you
Hi Chris. Best thing to do is to check out New York Newsday in the classified section. Depending on where you want to live, 5 boroughs or out on the Island. Factor in Travel Time. I used to live in Queens and Traveled to NY and it would take me longer to commute into NYC than if I was out on the Island. It is a good move (it will be tough) but the benefits of living in NY outweigh any other place. There is no other city like NY. I lived there for most of my life and moved to Charlotte, NC for three years, now I am back. Charlotte is one of the most polluted cities on the east coast. I have met very unfriendly people here and the wait to get anything completed is horrendous. Yeah, the housing is nice, but not without major problems.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:30 PM

10 posts, read 49,727 times
Default Long Beach, NY Jones Beach

Hey does anyone go to Long Beach instead of Jones. Is it open to public? Is there more than 1 beach? Thanks for your responses.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 49,727 times
COngrats and Good lUck on your move. EVen some western parts of Long Island like Port Washington, New Hyde Park, Glen Cove etc are a great way to get familiar with Long Island and still commute to NY. Alot of NYPD I know live on Long Island. Good Luck. Reply with any other questions.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:39 PM

44 posts, read 221,183 times
OMG, I would move back to NYC in a NY minute, if I could! You'll be fine anywhere you choose. Ya can always move to another burrough if you dont like it. Experiment, have fun with all the Big Apple has to offer. Im from MA and lived in NY for over 7 yrs., now Im in hell in NC......NY has it ALL. I know many, many members of the FDNY & NYPD and they live allllllll over NY. You cant go wrong. Good luck to you!!!!

P.S. I used to go to Jones beach, even in the winter! I love that boardwalk....it was so nice to see so many ppl out walking about, even in 5 feet of snow and 10* weather!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 22,690 times
I cannot sure your rental budget . You may compare the price and location in some sites such like criagslist, NewYorkResidentials, or matchifieds. Obviously, the rental price in Manhattan is expensive. Long Island or Jersey City is another choice. However, you should consider the time from home to your working place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City