Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,054 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have just accepted a new job in New York City and will be moving there from San Franciso at the beginning of March. I have only been to NYC once (on the day of my job interview) and I am hoping for some advice and guidance to expedite my apartment hunt and help ensure that it will be a success. To that end, here are some pertinent details about my situation:

-- I'm a single 35 yr old woman w/ no pets or children and I want to live alone.

-- I want a studio or 1 br apt. for between $1800 and $2200/month. (I'll earn ~100k/yr and I think that's what I can probably afford.) I don't really care whether the place is a studio or 1 bedroom. So long as I can fit a queen-size bed, full-size sofa, and a large desk, I'll be great.

-- I prefer hardwood floors and pre-war Brownstone styling, but modern is really fine, too. I'd just love a bit of architectural interest or a view, if I could find it.

--My job is in Midtown on Lexington between 45th and 49th and I would like to live within ~30 minutes of my work. I'd prefer to commute via a single direct subway line.

--I'd like to live close to the density and bustle of the city center, but preferably in a slightly green and leafy neighborhood with its own character, shops, cafes, bookstore, etc. I'm thinking maybe the Upper West Side or certain neighborhoods in Brooklyn (Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights). I'm very open to suggestions on this point.

So, given all that, my main questions are:

-- Does finding something that will meet all the above requirements seem feasible? If not, what are the sticking points? Should I be considering other neighborhoods? Is my budget too low?

-- I will be conducting my search, for the most part, from San Francisco using online resources. I need to have something lined up for March 1st. I may be able to make one visit to New York in February to actually look at places, but being there in person more often than that will be difficult. This makes me think that a broker may actually help me a lot. Do you guys agree? Will a broker makes my search more efficient and increase the likelihood that I'll find a place to satisfy my needs?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
It's my impression that in your price range people generally do not use brokers. However, you may find in your search for apartments that one you like is being handled by a broker, so be sure to ask about any fees.

Yes, I think your price range is feasible, but the most you can do long-distance is get a ballpark idea of money. I think you have to be here in person to decide what neighborhoods you prefer, and to evaluate the building. And you may be a bit under the gun in terms of timing.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
It's impossible to get from the UWS to Midtown East on one train. You either want to be on the Eastside or in Queens. The N Train goes east on 59th, but that's still 10 blocks north of where you want to be.

If you're in Park Slope, you'd want to be near Grand Army Plaza so you could take the 4 Train express to Grand Central.

Of course, these are ideal transportation links. Finding an apartment inevitably involves compromise. Everybody wants a quick and easy subway commute, but it's not always possible.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 PM

508 posts, read 2,120,239 times
It is possible in your price range to find something in Manhattan and in good areas as rentals have come down in price. I did a search myself and will DM you the info.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 PM

Thank you very much for the replies! I really appreciate them. I have a few follow-up responses/questions:

--First, I am definitely willing to bend on the commute. If I can't make it to work on a single train from the neighborhood I live in 30 minutes, but could make it there within 30-40 minutes with just one connection and maybe a little walk, I would be ok with that.

--Second, I don't think I fully understand why people in my price range wouldn't use a broker. Could you elaborate on that? Will brokers not want to work with me, because I'm not spending much per month? Really, I am willing to spend a one-time broker fee (I have a relocation allowance that could help with this) if the broker's assistance would enable me to take a single weekend trip to NYC to find a nice apartment that meets my needs. Do you all not think this is feasible? Do you all have any recommendations for reputable brokers?

--Finally, thank you very much, Vita Love, for the apartment recommendation. I am not really looking for a furnished place, but that place did look nice. I wonder, though, if living in Midtown would give me the neighborhood feel and access to a little bit of green space that I'm hoping for. My impression was that Midtown was predominantly a financial/business district. Am I mistaken?

Thanks so much!
AJ

Old 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_SF View Post
Thank you very much for the replies! I really appreciate them. I have a few follow-up responses/questions:

--First, I am definitely willing to bend on the commute. If I can't make it to work on a single train from the neighborhood I live in 30 minutes, but could make it there within 30-40 minutes with just one connection and maybe a little walk, I would be ok with that.

--Second, I don't think I fully understand why people in my price range wouldn't use a broker. Could you elaborate on that? Will brokers not want to work with me, because I'm not spending much per month? Really, I am willing to spend a one-time broker fee (I have a relocation allowance that could help with this) if the broker's assistance would enable me to take a single weekend trip to NYC to find a nice apartment that meets my needs. Do you all not think this is feasible? Do you all have any recommendations for reputable brokers?

--Finally, thank you very much, Vita Love, for the apartment recommendation. I am not really looking for a furnished place, but that place did look nice. I wonder, though, if living in Midtown would give me the neighborhood feel and access to a little bit of green space that I'm hoping for. My impression was that Midtown was predominantly a financial/business district. Am I mistaken?

Thanks so much!
AJ
The financial district is WAY downtown. Midtown east, in the Turtle Bay area is mixed residential and business. Around that area and in Kips Bay, Murray Hill and Gramercy you might well find an apartment in a brownstone on a tree-lined street. And you could walk to work.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM

988 posts, read 3,256,170 times
I would look on the UES, Midtown East, or Murray Hill. Something along the 4/5/6 subway line and you shouldn't have a hard time finding a studio in a pre-war building, it'll most likely be a walk-up though.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for setting me straight on those neighborhoods. I will definitely broaden my search to include those areas. I appreciate this advice.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Brokers are desperate in this market. I'm sure you could find a good one to work with. Also, lots of landlords/management companies are paying the broker's fee these days. This is another big change brought about by the market correction. The downside of a broker was the cost. If you're not paying the fee I see no reason not to use a broker, especially as you don't know the city and have to move so quickly. Best of luck.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 AM

26 posts, read 75,261 times
i definitely think you'd do better with a broker if you don't know the city at all, the only thing is that usually brokers handle or have expertise in a specific neighborhood or groups of neighborhoods. so you might want to contact a couple of different brokers to cover different nabes. i'd say to focus on the upper east side for ease of commute. the sidestreets are lovely with parks nearby that satisfy your green space requirement, loads of restaurants and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City