Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 AM

30 posts, read 113,760 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm looking at studying in NY starting this Sep, and would appreciate some advice on which neighbourhoods I should look at for accommodation.

I'd like:

something family friendly (have a 2 year old)
something latino friendly (my partner is mexican)
something not more than 45 minutes by public transport to lincoln centre
something less than $1200 a month rent (I know, it's budget - student life!)

Thanks in advance everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 04:43 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,975,370 times
Which borough? You're not going to be able to afford Manhattan.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 AM

477 posts, read 1,408,395 times
I would contact the school and see if they provide student housing or if they have any connections on getting cheaper housing, as this will be your best bet. Finding housing on your own on that budget is not going to get you very far in NYC unfortunately. The "family friendly" areas are usually some of the most expensive areas in the city. You can find something in Bensonhurst which is family friendly and not as expensive as other Brooklyn neighborhoods, the catch is, for this price you are looking at a one bedroom, and the other thing is, depending on where you are the subway station may be a bit of a walk. As a general rule, the further away from a subway stop you are, the cheaper the rent is.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:58 PM

917 posts, read 2,952,452 times
Look at living somewhere in Jersey with access to Port Authority. You're going to be looking at a horrible commute (at least an hour) with a $1200 budget, but you can probably rent a 2 bedroom within an hour of Port Authority, and it's only a short subway ride from there to Lincoln Square.

The other option is getting a one bedroom up in the Bronx near a 2/3 line, but those are not areas that are "family friendly"

Old 02-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I can't get housing through the school as I have my child and they only provide dorm. housing. I was thinking somewhere in New Jersey would be my best bet - any suggestions for neighbourhoods there?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 PM

A quick craigslist search shows that Jersey City is somewhat in your price range for a not fancy small two bedroom. I'm not familiar with the area so I don't really have much to say on it. I have friends who live in Fort Lee and Rochelle Park, and I've gone out in Hoboken and those areas are fine, but I don't think they're in your price range.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:35 AM

P.S. How is Sunset Park? Someone suggested it to me, and I'd be keen to know what you think.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 AM

9,250 posts, read 24,114,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Look at living somewhere in Jersey with access to Port Authority. You're going to be looking at a horrible commute (at least an hour) with a $1200 budget, but you can probably rent a 2 bedroom within an hour of Port Authority, and it's only a short subway ride from there to Lincoln Square.

The other option is getting a one bedroom up in the Bronx near a 2/3 line, but those are not areas that are "family friendly"
What exactly does that mean?
I live in Pelham Parkway which is on the 2 and the neighborhood is crawling with families.There are so many kids that the elementary schools(which are pretty good schools by the way,maybe that's why) are at 125% of capacity and they just announced plans to build a new school.
My apartment looks out onto the little league field in Bronx Park,which also houses the Botanical Garden and The Bronx Zoo.The local shopping area,White Plains Road and Lydig Avenue has a vast array of stores for virtually everything within a few blocks.There is a low crime rate and the neighborhood is chock a bloc with 1920's and 1930's garden apartment building complexes with elevators and very large apartments and single and 2 family houses.
If it's not a "family friendly" neighborhood why are there so many families here ?
The neighborhood is also quite evereyone friendly and a 2 br apartment in a 2 family house or a larger building for 1,200/mo is no problem.
The 2 train to Columbus Cir is about 30 to 35 mins.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-08-2010 at 06:30 AM..

Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 AM

She specifically said within half an hour of Lincoln Center- I didn't realize Pelham Parkway was that close. Most of the places I think of when I think of half an hour north with $1200 for a 2 bedroom are not the nicer places. Admittedly, my experience with that area is mostly Harlem/Wash Heights, but the fringes of the Bronx within half an hour of Lincoln Center that I've been to weren't very nice.

And the 2 doesn't run to Columbus Circle. She'd have to either change to the 1 at 72nd or walk from from there, both of which can tack on 5 to 15 minutes depending on the exact location of her school. You're then up to around 45 minutes, which does not fit her requirements.

And OP, Sunset Park is an OK neighborhood, but it will be about an hour to get to Lincoln Center.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 AM

9,250 posts, read 24,114,074 times
I think the OP clearly stated 45 min.Don't know where the 30 came from.
The running time on the 2 from Pelham Parkway to 72 St is actually 33 mins so I think even with a change or a short walk it would be within the 45 minutes.I happen to live 2 blocks from the subway and go from inside my apartment to a gallery in Chelsea door to door in a little under 45 mins regularly.This includes a change to the 1 somewhere and a I almost never wait for a change for more than a minute or two,if at all during normal hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City