Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:49 PM

67 posts, read 227,762 times

Advertisements

It really all depends on what you like. Just remember to stay flexible, cause you may have to travel to other boroughs, Long Island, or Jersey to find exactly what you are interested in or scheduled in a way that fits you. Also learn how to get around using the train and bus lines, parking prices can be a b**tch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 PM

197 posts, read 895,089 times
There is many great italian restaurants and pizzerias in Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge area, Middle Eastern food on Atlantic Avenue, and great Caribbean food in Flatbush and Crown Heights. Almost every neighborhood in Brooklyn can offer authentic ethnic food. Thanks to Booklyn being so diverse.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:29 PM

25 posts, read 100,310 times
pied-à-terre?

Quebecers often assume everyone around the world understands or cares about our insular colonial French culture. That's what happens when nationalist governments run the educational system.

As a former Quebecer and a person of French-Canadian heritage, I can say that.

That said, I sure do miss Quebec.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:43 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Can somone S'plan what the heck a pied-à-terre is ?
Im living in NYC all my life and never heard of one, it that the same as them squirting toilet bowls, bidette's bidet's (spelling) ?

Note to toujoursdan:
Emm I'd drop the French and Canadian "stuff" if you want to get along with native New Yorkers.
This stuff dont well fly here
"Assimilate"

-Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by america_dude View Post
pied-à-terre?

Quebecers often assume everyone around the world understands or cares about our insular colonial French culture.
WTF is up with you guys?

Maybe it doesn't fly in Mattituck but I understood him just fine. It's an expression I've heard used my whole life. Nothing linked to any "insular French colonial culture" about it.

Why should someone who is Québécois drop the "French" and "Canadian" "stuff"? There are plenty of restaurants right in his neighborhood owned by native speakers of French. NYC, and Cobble Hill, are cosmopolitan places where you need not worry about fitting in with the Nascar "talk American" crowd. The guy comes down 10 days a month and doesn't need to vet his vocabulary for your sake.

I thought he was asking where he could explore in Brooklyn. There are plenty of neighborhoods that provide a lens on how the entire NYC area fits together. The yuppie and the artsy and the blue collar and so on. See as much as you can.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:59 PM

25 posts, read 100,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
WTF is up with you guys?
You're right. I guess I'm so assimilated into America (or maybe I just wish I were) that I have a certain sense of cultural self-loathing.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,729 times
^^

It's actually a loanword so part of the English dictionary. French or not, you'd have to be pretty haughty to use that word anyway.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:10 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
^^

It's actually a loanword so part of the English dictionary. French or not, you'd have to be pretty haughty to use that word anyway.
I just don't think so. I'm a beer, ballgame, grill a steak guy and I wouldn't hestitate to use the term because it has a particular meaning. You could just say you've got an apartment in Brooklyn, but there is a nuance of a part-time crash pad that the French expression conveys.

I don't think it's haughty at all, especially when you're a native French speaker who may not be aware that certain Americans think that anything French or anything in any other language is haughty.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,219 times
First of all... while there are valid reasons to resent someone for casually mentioning their pied-a-terre in Cobble Hill, I think that just using the term is not one of them.

Secondly... to the OP, it really depends what you like to do, of course. But a short list for me would definitely include simply walking around some of the more beautiful parts of the area. Start off with the Brooklyn Heights Promenade (uh oh, another French word, maybe I should just call it the "sidewalk") and walking over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan. Also check out Prospect Park and the Grand Army Plaza area. While you're over there, the Brooklyn Museum is a couple of blocks away. It's no Met but pretty cool. BAM is also supposed to have some very worthwhile stuff, though I haven't been there. Check out the bars and restaurants on Smith Street and 5th Avenue. Go to Coney Island and catch a Brooklyn Cyclones game, if you happen to miss the Expos. Wander around some of the major ethnic enclaves that still exist in Brooklyn -- Sunset Park (Mexican and Chinese), Boro Park (Orthodox Jewish), Brighton Beach (Russian), etc.

It all depends what you want to do. Brooklyn isn't as high energy and exciting as Manhattan but it's definitely a city worth exploring in its own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: