Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM
TBD TBD started this thread

13 posts, read 45,764 times

Advertisements

Finally see they broke ground at the former BP Gas Station on Eliot Ave and 74th St in Middle Village. Sign on the fence indicates that a Chase Bank Branch is coming soon and that the Developer is Sutphin Properties, a development firm owned by Robin Eshaghpour . Some DOB research shows Eshaghpour’s name on many construction permits in the boroughs related to Retail Developments mainly Banks and Drug stores. Thank God it’s not going to be another gas station or smelly French Fri joint. Here are some photo’s …
Attached Thumbnails
Bank Branch opening Eliot Ave, Middle Village-087.jpg   Bank Branch opening Eliot Ave, Middle Village-081.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 06:24 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,592 times
Very interesting, thank you. Will be good for the community.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,094 times
Default on the other hand...

On the other hand... it's unfortunate because Middle Village has been trying to hold on to small business owners: avoiding large chains from setting foot has been critical in that process. It's part of what makes the area so charming.

There's a small local bank not too far away from the location of the new Chase location. Not unlike the Walgreens that set up shop across the street from an independent drug store.

I'm sure everyone who grew up in the area has fond memories of getting a milk shake at a candy store that looked like it was from a movie, or getting meat from a butcher and their parents getting advice on how to do a home project from the actual owner of a hardware store.

I'm all for choices, but another chain for an area that used to be a haven for mom-and-pop shops, no matter how pretty, is not something to celebrate. There is a reason people chose to live in Middle Village, Maspeth and the surrounding areas: they are...or used to be... neighborhoods.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 PM
TBD TBD started this thread

13 posts, read 45,764 times
Its not that I'm rooting for the Bank rather shareing what is happening as the site has been in limbo all fenced up for about 2 years now. Considering the finacial climate today, I'm just glad that the owner is developing it, rather than letting it rot with litter.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM

9 posts, read 39,844 times
I drive my most stalled construction sites in the city and i see many sites just sitting there rotting cause the developer lost his financing. Last week I went by and took a photo and it looked like nothing was happpening. I guess they started. The pic is what it looked like last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Bank Branch opening Eliot Ave, Middle Village-063.jpg  

Old 03-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Fisrt post says Robin Eshaghpour of Sutphin Properties owns it. I checks Acris and it list the owner as 74-01 Eliot Ave LLC as the owner. Could be an affiliate of Sutphin. Didn't he build the Walgreens up the block?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,442 times
You already have the Valero gas station across the street as well as Getty and Mobil on the corners of Eliot Ave/69th St. Save the gas stations for Woodhaven and Queens Blvds.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 PM

I agree, the redevelopment of the subjet site fits well within the area. I way I see it, Robin Eshaghpour did our neighborhood good by baiting Chase as a tenant in these tough times.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 AM

Anyone know if the plan calls for drive windows? I past by it and the gate was open, pretty large site just for a bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City