Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 PM

8 posts, read 12,578 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in NYC and we will be moving within the next few months. I'm a Northern Californian, born and raised, and aside from a few trips to NYC, haven't a clue about living in the city (or the surrounding state 'burbs).

While I'm sure the following questions have been asked numerous times...I'm going to throw them out again (and then take a detailed look through the archives for additional info). Note: The more liberal, alternative a neighborhood/town is, the better (farmer's markets, naturopath, yoga studios, co-op food, etc_). We're not necessarily as interested in areas with a "good" public school district as we are in one that has a selection of great non-parochial private schools (Waldorf, Quaker, etc). Also, any advice specifically from transplanted Californians would be welcome!

1) What's the opinion on living in NYC vs. the suburbs/surrounding areas for folks with young kids?
2) What are the best areas to live in NYC? I've heard Park Slope is nice...anything else?
3) What are the best 'burbs to live in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,634 times
What's your budget and how big of a place are you looking for?

There are plenty of places like the ones you describe, but they are pricey.

How far is your husband willing to commute and where is his office located?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 AM

108 posts, read 285,894 times
I was born in Brooklyn, and moved to Northern California (East Bay) for ten years. I'm sure you've heard Oakland compared to Brooklyn, and it's true - there are a lot of similarities. I lived in the Berkeley/Albany area, and the first time my sister visited me out there, she said "I see why you like it here - this looks like Brooklyn!"

With a family, you'd want to check out Park Slope, but it is rather expensive, and, like anywhere else, the more desirable nabes are going to be more expensive. Bay Ridge is less expensive than the Slope, and is very family-oriented. Not quite as liberal as the Slope, but it's getting there, and you'll find most of the amenities you mention. They're getting ready to open a food co-op there soon.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 AM

For those asking about budget and size...we currently live in (and own) a 3 bedroom/two bath 1950s suburban ranch home w/ a large back yard. I am very happy with it and think I'd prefer to do the suburbs. My husband can go either way as he spent 12 years in Paris and was quite happy there. Having never lived in a city aside from a year-long stint in Brussels (don't ask), I don't have much experience with the whole urban lifestyle so perhaps I'd be thrilled with it and just don't know it.

Budget...for buying, probably between $900,000-$1.5M (my husband's new job is quite a bit more lucrative than the one he previously had) and rental would be $4K-7K.

J

Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
It's always dicey with the public schools and it's too late in the year to be looking for private schools for September. It might be that you're best off in a suburb. Which suburb is best depends - is your husband's office on the East or West side (yes, it does make a difference)?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 AM

RE: location of my husband's job....I haven't a clue what side it's on (clearly I'm green when it comes to NYC!). His office is in the 1300 block of Avenue of the Americas, zip 10105. Maybe someone can tell me whether this is Eastside or Westside so I can avoid looking like a loser in future? ; )

J

Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
OK, that's the West side. You're going to want to look in New Jersey and Long Island. Westchester and Connecticut are do-able, but mass transit train will leave him on the East side at Grand Central and it's another subway train to get cross-town.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,634 times
You can get yourself a nice home in a good suburb with easy access to Manhattan on that budget. Viral MD is right, though. Your commute time will depend on which side of the city his office is located in. If it's on the west side, I'd look at Jersey because it has easy access through the Port Authority and PATH Trains. If you're on the east side, you could look at Westchester near a Metro North stop for access to Grand Central.

If at all possible, try to come out for a week or two and spend some time in both the city and the suburbs. Ask a realtor to show you what you can afford in the city. You may be pleasantly surprised and Central Park makes a great backyard. Check out Park Slope as well- you could get an AMAZING place at the upper end of your budget right near Prospect Park. My mom grew up in Oakland and went to Berkeley, and Park Slope reminds me a lot of where she used to live.

In my experience, the suburbs tend to be a bit more conservative and the city tends to be more liberal. There are definitely exceptions to this but I've found that this is a pretty good rule to live by.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
You'd probably like Forest Hills. It's somewhat suburnanish, fairly liberal, easy to commute into the city by subway, convenient shopping, nice parks, diverse dining etc. If you want the real suburbs with quieter streets and more wide open space you'll have to venture out to Long Island, Connecticut (Greenwich), Westchester, and Jersey. Staten Island is somewhat suburban but probably not what you're looking for, same with many parts of Nassau County unless you can find someplace on the Northshore within your budget.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks much to each of you for taking the time to provide some assistance! I'll likely continue investigating locations in NYC and outside the city in recommended Long Island and New Jersey.

J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City