Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 04:36 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,981 times

Advertisements

For fear of being viewed as sexist (I am not), here I go:

Obviously, many women who work in the fashion industry are expected to dress well, especially at work. Unfortunately, not all of them are Chanel Iman, and so their salaries reflect that. There seems to be some sort of disconnect here, with women in fashion, who earn lower than "normal" (at least for NYC standards) salaries, but are dressing well, going to clubs, etc, and paying Manhattan rent. Where is the extra cash coming from? You can get guys to buy you free drinks at bars, but there's only so far you can go. With the financial crisis, many women find themselves cut off from daddy's credit card or their boyfriend who used to work for Lehman Brothers. And of course, there are a countless number of single women in NYC as well. Let's cut to the chase:

Today, I saw a woman in my building, she got on the elevator (her floor is home to a prominent fashion magazine company), she was very attractive and dressed incredibly well. However, I could clearly see the store tag still attached to her suit. When I told her, she fixed it, but also got beet red during the process. Embarrased, she thanked me for telling her in the elevator, before she could go out like that in public.

My question is, how common is this amongst women in NYC? I don't know any man who would ever do such a thing like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 04:42 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
i'm missing your question....you want to know how many women on average in manhattan pretend to live a lifestyle they cannot afford?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i'm missing your question....you want to know how many women on average in manhattan pretend to live a lifestyle they cannot afford?
Well I was being specific on the store tag thing, but yes.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:54 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
I intern (unpaid of course) in fashion and our office looks like the catalog that it represents. You are supposed to dress in their clothes and not everyone can afford it so many people shop for similar things at J Crew and H&M. We also have a killer sample sale.

As for going out...we try and do one "big" night out a month. We plan a fancy dinner and then go to an upscale bar. Other than that you can find us on St Marks in the east village eat $1 dumplings...

Old 04-01-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I intern (unpaid of course) in fashion and our office looks like the catalog that it represents. You are supposed to dress in their clothes and not everyone can afford it so many people shop for similar things at J Crew and H&M. We also have a killer sample sale.

As for going out...we try and do one "big" night out a month. We plan a fancy dinner and then go to an upscale bar. Other than that you can find us on St Marks in the east village eat $1 dumplings...
Hey that's pretty cool. There is a place down in Chinatown that sells 5 dumplings for $1.

Fried Dumpling - Chinatown - New York, NY

Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Honestly, when I worked in the industry in NYC- credit cards or parents were usually the answer. I know several girls who racked up $10k++ in clothes/ going out expenses in just a year or two. Generally, the story has two endings: 1) girl confesses to parents & they pay off her debt and she promises to never do it again or 2) girl gets engaged, confesses her debt, and he pays it off just like that.

With the girl you saw today though, my first instinct was that she is a "returner.". To give the illusion that she is "keeping up appearances" on a magazine/ pr salary, she is constantly buying & returning the "latest" fashions all over Manhattan. She knows which boutiques are lenient with return policies and of course can take advantage of the anonymous nature of the huge dept stores like Saks, Barneys, Bloomie's, and Bergdorf. She always leaves the tags on so she can return after wearing it a time or two.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:17 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Re: The "tag" thing..... that's one of the oldest scams in the books.... People will buy an expensive dress/suit/outfit, wear it for an occassion or for work (keeping the tag on, of course), and then return it within the time allotted and get a refund. VERY tacky.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Honestly, when I worked in the industry in NYC- credit cards or parents were usually the answer. I know several girls who racked up $10k++ in clothes/ going out expenses in just a year or two. Generally, the story has two endings: 1) girl confesses to parents & they pay off her debt and she promises to never do it again or 2) girl gets engaged, confesses her debt, and he pays it off just like that.

With the girl you saw today though, my first instinct was that she is a "returner.". To give the illusion that she is "keeping up appearances" on a magazine/ pr salary, she is constantly buying & returning the "latest" fashions all over Manhattan. She knows which boutiques are lenient with return policies and of course can take advantage of the anonymous nature of the huge dept stores like Saks, Barneys, Bloomie's, and Bergdorf. She always leaves the tags on so she can return after wearing it a time or two.
You and ohiogirl pretty much nailed it. I think the only other "strategy" not mentioned was sharing rooms (e.g. 4 girls in a 2br apt) or living at home.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I knew someone who worked in PR who used to have a collective, rotating wardrobe between herself, her sister, and best friend (one of whom was in the fashion industry). She'd also shop for vintage couture and would raid her mother's closet as well to borrow pieces.

Another woman I know who had to look good for work kept a part-time job at a department store, the minimum required to stay on staff, just to keep the discount. The store didn't care because her store salary and more was spent on clothes; and, her sales were stellar, since she actually wore what they sold because she wasn't living on the store salary.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
There's also Daffy's and Century 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City