Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times

Advertisements

I'm staying in Manhattan for a few weeks and want to know the areas to stay away from. I know Harlem, but what other neighborhoods should I avoid? I'd like to know any in Manhattan, but moreso in Lower Manhattan as that's where I'm staying. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
the most dangerous area in manhattan in east harlem , and since your staying at the lower east side i will tell you to avoid ave D strip from east 10th all the way down to the williamsburg bridge.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:25 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
Neither Harlem or East Harlem are DANGEROUS...only if your looking for danger will you find it and that is for ANY location in NYC.......NYC is VERY SAFE if you are not a trouble maker..

Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 AM

154 posts, read 535,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I'm staying in Manhattan for a few weeks and want to know the areas to stay away from. I know Harlem, but what other neighborhoods should I avoid? I'd like to know any in Manhattan, but moreso in Lower Manhattan as that's where I'm staying. Thanks
There arent large areas in Manhattan that are really Dangerous, only some pockets in Harlem and the Lower East Side have some crime problems.

I visited Harlem (125th st.) and East Harlem with my family, and we had no problems at all.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Neither Harlem or East Harlem are DANGEROUS...only if your looking for danger will you find it and that is for ANY location in NYC.......NYC is VERY SAFE if you are not a trouble maker..
east harlem isnt dangerous??? im sure a crime map , and spotcrimes itself will debunk this statement. normally every week their is 1 or more shootings in east harlem accoring to gothamist and the area isnt dangerous??? i dont think you are from new york city.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
lies once again. anyone who reads the newspaper everyday like me will know this is a huge lie , as a matter of fact i just saw an article on a teenager killed by mistaken by a stray im pretty sure she would agree with you if she were alive again

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
east harlem isnt dangerous??? im sure a crime map , and spotcrimes itself will debunk this statement. normally every week their is 1 or more shootings in east harlem accoring to gothamist and the area isnt dangerous??? i dont think you are from new york city.
Not every part of East Harlem is dangerous, it's a big area. Some spots are very nice. Although I wouldn't say it's Wonderland.. there's probably some areas I wouldn't suggest just anybody to go to though.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
lies once again. anyone who reads the newspaper everyday like me will know this is a huge lie , as a matter of fact i just saw an article on a teenager killed by mistaken by a stray im pretty sure she would agree with you if she were alive again
You sound like an expert on East Harlem. I've been living here for only 3 months. Would you please tell me which blocks are so dangerous that should be avoided at all cost?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Midtown.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times
hahaha I'll be avoiding midtown for reasons other than being dangerous, that's for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City