Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Jaged you really believe Bloomberg is a horrible Mayor? The only person that can assert that Bloomberg is a horrible mayor is a person who just moved to NYC and only experienced 1 Mayor of NYC! Bloomberg has pioneered the biggest affordable housing initiative in NYC's history. He has pioneered the largest green movement in history with an emphasis on green/sustainable developments, green rooves, increased parkland, the million tree initiative, new pedestrain zones and bike lanes, etc. Under his tenure crime has dropped to record lows and remains there despite the collapse of the economy. He has invested billions in once "off-limits" neighborhoods like the South Bronx to reposition it as the future home of the working/middle class, and is focusing heavily on quality of life issues in NYC, with the implementation of the 311 system as one example, and rezoning areas for further residential and business development to make room and increase services for an anticipated increase in the population.

So if you want to talk about a bad Mayor, let's do that, but Bloomberg ain't it..far from it. Please tell me what mayor in the past 40 years has come close to achieving anything remotely close to what Bloomberg has done for NYC, and is still doing.

As for dropping the price on the condos to make them more affordable, I am all for that!
LOL under bloomberg about 1million new yorkers, real new yorkers left the city thats the past decade. I call that one of bloombergs greatest achievements. To bad his congestion gauging zone was not implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatehipsters View Post
let the homeless move in

Yeah right...we don't need more homeless/low-class people living in NY. We have enough of them as is.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
LOL under bloomberg about 1million new yorkers, real new yorkers left the city thats the past decade. I call that one of bloombergs greatest achievements. To bad his congestion gauging zone was not implemented.
Whats your definition of a "real NYer"? Cause if I'm not mistaken, NY has become a more desirable place to live since Guilliani and Bloomberg took office. These 2 mayors did the right thing by removing a lot of trashy people, thus cleansing NY which I THANK THEM for. And I don't mean just Manhattan but ALL 5 boroughs. A big emphasis on bettering QUALITY OF LIFE is in my opinion what Guilliani and bloomberg policies focus on which is a great thing. In other words...they wanted to get rid of all the riff-raff in NY. And I am 100% in support of that.

You have some very liberal people here and there that think today's NY is bland and plain and would prefer a NY that is more edgy like it was back in the 70's and 80's. I totally disagree with that vision. I hope NY never goes back to those days. I am a huge supporter of the gentrifying NY and I hope it continues and trickles down to the outer boroughs especially the Bronx where it is really needed.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:39 PM

169 posts, read 489,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Whats your definition of a "real NYer"? Cause if I'm not mistaken, NY has become a more desirable place to live since Guilliani and Bloomberg took office. These 2 mayors did the right thing by removing a lot of trashy people, thus cleansing NY which I THANK THEM for. And I don't mean just Manhattan but ALL 5 boroughs. A big emphasis on bettering QUALITY OF LIFE is in my opinion what Guilliani and bloomberg policies focus on which is a great thing. In other words...they wanted to get rid of all the riff-raff in NY. And I am 100% in support of that.

You have some very liberal people here and there that think today's NY is bland and plain and would prefer a NY that is more edgy like it was back in the 70's and 80's. I totally disagree with that vision. I hope NY never goes back to those days. I am a huge supporter of the gentrifying NY and I hope it continues and trickles down to the outer boroughs especially the Bronx where it is really needed.
AGREED!.....I remember pre Giuliani NY...and what a hell-hole!.....the Port Authority bus terminal was scary as hell..one example

Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post
AGREED!.....I remember pre Giuliani NY...and what a hell-hole!.....the Port Authority bus terminal was scary as hell..one example
The people that hate Giuliani and Bloomberg are the people that like that incompentate bum of a Mayor....David Dinkins. He did absolutely nothing to better NY. He just kept the status quo. What a loser.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
The people that hate Giuliani and Bloomberg are the people that like that incompentate bum of a Mayor....David Dinkins. He did absolutely nothing to better NY. He just kept the status quo. What a loser.
Giuliani was indeed a great mayor probably one of the best nyc mayors inn the last 20th century. History has already determined giuliani legacy which is mostly positive and marked with controversy. Me I don't put bloomberg in the same bracket as giulani because they are different. Besides bloomberg is still the mayor of nyc and history has not decided how great or lousy mayor he has been only you bloombucks fans are doing that. So far bloomberg is a mixed bag of potatoes.

I don't like dinkins either but I don't blame him for the mess that was in the city along with ed koch. Probably need to blame abe beam for the downfall of nyc which lead to its decay. Or even worse president jimmy carter for not bailing nyc out of its debt.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-15-2010 at 06:38 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM

157 posts, read 394,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Giuliani was indeed a great mayor probably one of the best nyc mayors inn the last 20th century. History has already determined giuliani legacy which is mostly positive and marked with controversy. Me I don't put bloomberg in the same bracket as giulani because they are different. Besides bloomberg is still the mayor of nyc and history has not decided how great or lousy mayor he has been only you bloombucks fans are doing that. So far bloomberg is a mixed bag of potatoes.

I don't like dinkins either but I don't blame him for the mess that was in the city along with ed koch. Probably need to blame abe beam for the downfall of nyc which lead to its decay. Or even worse president jimmy carter for not bailing nyc out of its debt.
It was actually President Ford who did not bail us out of debt, which led to significant urban decay. Dinkins was the one who put more cops on the streets, so he started what Giuliani finished. People who hate Dinkins don't realize he took a cesspool city into his hands fueled by crack and unemployment. The quality of life issues began with getting rid of graffiti on the trains in 1989, and continued with Giuliani. (and till this day)

Old 05-15-2010, 03:16 PM

667 posts, read 940,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
The condos should be offered to Russian officials who can buy more as 40,000 luxury condos and pay immediately in cash.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,828 times
Quote:
No, Dinkins did not keep the status quo. It was a lot worse than that. He increased the income tax and let crime run rampant. He watched and did nothing during the infamous Crown Heights riots. He said "Let theM vent their rage".

Dinkins reminds me of Jimmy Carter. A one-term fiasco who thankfully got booted out on his arse before he could do any further damage.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
No, Dinkins did not keep the status quo. It was a lot worse than that. He increased the income tax and let crime run rampant. He watched and did nothing during the infamous Crown Heights riots. He said "Let theM vent their rage".

Dinkins reminds me of Jimmy Carter. A one-term fiasco who thankfully got booted out on his arse before he could do any further damage.
I know for sanitation dinkins had a program where you got promoted not based on test scores but based on race. The fact of the matter is this bloomberg has been a great mayor and i can only image how bad things would be if we had dinkins or some other former mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City