Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,188 times

Advertisements

One month ago, I sold my car. The car is nonfunctional and the buyer is aware of this. The car was parked in my yard. The buyer bought the car in full and was promptly given the bill of sale, title, and keys. He then stated he will pick up the car the next day. The next day and the day after that came and went with no sign of him. On the third day I contacted the buyer on when he plans to pick up the car and he stated the next weekend. Instead, he shows up on the Saturday just to check over the car and states he still can't get hold of the tow truck until Sunday. Sunday comes and goes with no sign of him. And now after a month since he bought the car, he is not answering my calls and the car is still in my yard. Can I legally have the car towed off my yard at his expense? If so, how I go about it? When I contacted the police department, they said it is a civil matter, so I have to check the legal issues because even though he has the papers, because he has not taken physical possession of it, I could still be responsible for the car. The buyer and I had made no agreement for me to hold or store the car for him indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 PM

979 posts, read 4,457,300 times
Have you talked to a tow company? I would think they would know how to store abandoned property legally.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
You could try asking one of the experts at Allexperts. Maybe this guy? Mark Shemel - has some expertise in landlord/tenant/property disputes He's not a lawyer but maybe has some expertise in the area.

I used that site for something else I needed an expert for & my expert was great and fast (and free).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: