Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:37 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
^^ are you trying to make someone jealous??
what? nooo

i'm jealous of my friends who live in that building though damnnnn! and those pics do it no justice..it was a stupid camera phone.

and good luck SD - you gotsta get up there. it will suck with the crappy brokers, landlords, etc.. but there's quite the upside too

Last edited by john_starks; 05-30-2010 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:35 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
I'm in Jersey apartment hunting in Brooklyn and Queens and I've been finding lots of 1BR starting around $1200. As far as cost of living in NYC being worth it, I think "comfortably" is highly subjective. If this includes living in Manhattan and going out every night, then I guess you'll want to make $150K> a year. But if you make different lifestyle choices, life can be doable on far less than that, and without roommates. I have friends making $50-60K who are doing pretty well for themselves. They don't live a Sex in the City lifestyle, but they have fulfilling jobs and social lives. It can be done.

I agree that $2K isn't enough saved unless you have a job lined up already. You'll blow through that fairly quickly, just on moving into a place alone.

If considering Jersey, please take into account the cost of commuting. The price of a monthly pass from where I am currently (almost $200) combined with the cost of a 30-day unlimited Metrocard for the city is extremely not worth it, IMO. I'd rather live in the boroughs and put that $200 towards rent.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:08 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
I'm in Jersey apartment hunting in Brooklyn and Queens and I've been finding lots of 1BR starting around $1200. As far as cost of living in NYC being worth it, I think "comfortably" is highly subjective. If this includes living in Manhattan and going out every night, then I guess you'll want to make $150K> a year. But if you make different lifestyle choices, life can be doable on far less than that, and without roommates. I have friends making $50-60K who are doing pretty well for themselves. They don't live a Sex in the City lifestyle, but they have fulfilling jobs and social lives. It can be done.

I agree that $2K isn't enough saved unless you have a job lined up already. You'll blow through that fairly quickly, just on moving into a place alone.

If considering Jersey, please take into account the cost of commuting. The price of a monthly pass from where I am currently (almost $200) combined with the cost of a 30-day unlimited Metrocard for the city is extremely not worth it, IMO. I'd rather live in the boroughs and put that $200 towards rent.
Depends on where you live , but if you live near the PATH a monthly Pass will be no more then 54$ , which is quite cheap in the NYC Metro. That said he can live by himself , in the Ironbound section of Newark , or around Journal SQ / Historic Downtown of Jersey City. Living in the Suburbs and commuting to NYC will set you back 200-300$ a month depending where you live. Living in Urban Jersey still is the cheapest , 60% of Urban Jersey is safe now. You'll need to have at least 10k to live here i would say , most of the 10k is adjustment & backup money.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:14 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The general rule is 40x rent = annual income, so you should be ok paying $750 per month. I am not sure if there are studios in the Bronx or on Staten Island for that price - in any case, people who are making 30K in NYC generally have roommates. Even at 40K and more.
Crap, in Manhattan, even at $100K some have roommates!!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,097 times
I've made "starry eyed" moves to affordable southwestern cities (loved the canyons and mountains) from New York City. They were wonderful (and affordable) adventures made when the economy was in decent shape. New York City, however, will wipe the stars from your eyes pretty quickly in this bad economy. You will find the economic adjustment to living in NYC to be pretty drastic if you want a reasonable lifestyle on 30K, if you can find work. I strongly recommend making a couple of visits here first, to get a real sense of what life would be like at your income level in the present economy. This is probably the riskiest of times to make such a move economically.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Depends on where you live , but if you live near the PATH a monthly Pass will be no more then 54$ , which is quite cheap in the NYC Metro.
That's true... and that's still an additional $54 on top of an $89 Metrocard monthly to get around the city, which I assume he would want to be doing on a regular basis. I just wanted to point out the cost of commuting from outside the five boroughs as a hidden cost he may not have taken into account-- like me.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadDriver View Post
I am tentatively planning a trip there later this year. I plan to stay in a hostel for 10-14 days to keep expenses low and to get a good feel for the city.
I strongly recommend that you visit before you move. And don't stay in Manhattan but someplace like the HoJo's on Queens Boulevard. You want to replicate your potential lifestyle/commute. The commute is essential. It's great going out in the East Village. Spending over an hour each way on the subway is not. It's possible to live here on 30K, but it will be hand-to-mouth and nearly impossible to save up for another move if you don't like it.

It's obviously not "worth it" for you in monetary terms. Only you can decide if the cultural and social amenities are worth the cost.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 11,344 times
No its not. I'm only here because I had to settle for a job here after college and times are too hard to be picky about location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City