Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm hoping the GOP eliminates HUD that's one agency that needs to go. The Dept of the Interior can handle disposing of Hud Homes.
Right on! What NYC really needs is a GOP majority to reform and spark change. The tag team of the late 90's of Pataki, Giulliani, and Bruno are created for the Rent Stabilization Reform Act that helped the city improve for the better via deregulation and amount other things.

We need a repeat of that for 2012 and beyond for NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,854 times
Actually, they will accept vouchers just not in the way most people are thinking. the way section 8 is doing is that they are not "absorbing' the vouchers, means that section 8 budget for NYC will not take the voucher, how ever the budget that your voucher sits in....ie albany, will keep the voucher but will have to pay by NYC rulles and statutes.

This means that if your voucher increases due to moving into the city, it comes from the originating budget and not the subsequential budget.

Also, Please stop refering to Section 8 as a hand out. Yes some people can play the game better than others. however there are people out there that have a real need for it. besides when you make less than 30,000 a year in NYC (Working, SSI, SSD) then you will need a lot of little help to pay rent.
How about if you feel like its a hand out, go volunteer at the local shelter, food pantry, and ask the people there how much money they make in a year.

Oh by the way, I work for the government, 35+ a week and in a year I am lucky to make $22,000 a year. Never mind the fact that I have a kid. And before some one says I should had been finacially stabile in a good relationship, I thought I was. Good job, decent BF. Then in one night I lost all of it becuase he showed me what kind of man he was and I didn't know I was pregant, I was using protection. was so busted up, I couldn't go to work. Since I couldn't go to work, I couldn't do my job so my job replaced me. I went from making 48k before taxes a year to 22k before taxes. I would love to have section 8 but can't because its closed. I am not asking for a hand out, just a hand up so that I can stop freaking out when my rent is $1070, my gas is 50, my ele is 150, and my phone is 50, and my traveling to get to work is 108 a month, plus the day care fees of 100 a month, and that doesn't include toliet paper.

So please stop refering to it as a hand out, instead refer to it as a hand up.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbarer View Post
If Section 8 is closed in NYC how is it that I can find numerous Craigs list ads for apartments here accepting Section 8? Is it fraud? Again, I am looking to return to NYC from ALbany. How is it that these apartments claim to accept Section 8 if there is no more section 8?
They are not issuing new vouchers or accepting new wait list applicants, but people who already have vouchers can move to different apartments after their first year lease is up.

Unfortunately, with section 8 you really need to apply for it before you ever need it. I'm always surprised when somebody loses a job and thinks they can hop on section 8 just like that. Whenever a waiting list is open, if you qualify you should apply whether you think you need it or not.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kili087 View Post
Actually, they will accept vouchers just not in the way most people are thinking. the way section 8 is doing is that they are not "absorbing' the vouchers, means that section 8 budget for NYC will not take the voucher, how ever the budget that your voucher sits in....ie albany, will keep the voucher but will have to pay by NYC rulles and statutes.

This means that if your voucher increases due to moving into the city, it comes from the originating budget and not the subsequential budget.

Also, Please stop refering to Section 8 as a hand out. Yes some people can play the game better than others. however there are people out there that have a real need for it. besides when you make less than 30,000 a year in NYC (Working, SSI, SSD) then you will need a lot of little help to pay rent.
How about if you feel like its a hand out, go volunteer at the local shelter, food pantry, and ask the people there how much money they make in a year.

Oh by the way, I work for the government, 35+ a week and in a year I am lucky to make $22,000 a year. Never mind the fact that I have a kid. And before some one says I should had been finacially stabile in a good relationship, I thought I was. Good job, decent BF. Then in one night I lost all of it becuase he showed me what kind of man he was and I didn't know I was pregant, I was using protection. was so busted up, I couldn't go to work. Since I couldn't go to work, I couldn't do my job so my job replaced me. I went from making 48k before taxes a year to 22k before taxes. I would love to have section 8 but can't because its closed. I am not asking for a hand out, just a hand up so that I can stop freaking out when my rent is $1070, my gas is 50, my ele is 150, and my phone is 50, and my traveling to get to work is 108 a month, plus the day care fees of 100 a month, and that doesn't include toliet paper.

To me the main issue I have with Section 8 is the quality of tenants it has in stock. 90% of the tenants are ghetto to some extent or another. If you're a landlord like me who wants to keep the building desirable and ghetto-free, why would I rent to a ghetto section 8 tenant? The 10% who aren't ghetto are hard to find. They mainly consist of senior citizens.

Remember, the idea is to improve the quality of life here in the Bronx and make it less "hood", not further degrade it. By renting to section 8 tenants, you further degrade the neighborhood

Old 11-10-2012, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Yes because what was really tearing this country down was handouts to the low-income, not the banks screwing people, not the waste of money on wars, it's the poor who are the root of evil and the cause of every travesty this country has ever had...
You sound Craaazy of course is not the poor people tearing the country down No one wants to be poor its the out sourcing of jobs for cheap labor to Foreign countries its the companies like these Rich people who OWN banks who want more money than they would ever need in a life time you figure if America was so GREAT why cant you find jobs for everyone paying at least $35.000 yearly were people can survive pay there bills and live comfortable Think about it rent in NYC is so expensive but if you can make it here you can make it anywhere and there right.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,532 times
[quote=Have A Heart;26894887]You sound Craaazy of course is not the poor people tearing the country down No one wants to be poor its the out sourcing of jobs for cheap labor to Foreign countries its the companies like these Rich people who OWN banks who want more money than they would ever need in a life time you figure if America was so GREAT why cant you find jobs for everyone paying at least $35.000 yearly were people can survive pay there bills and live comfortable Think about it rent in NYC is so expensive but if you can make it here you can make it anywhere and there right to a certain extent. What the need to do is lower the taxes in NY so people can live and survive its just a bad time for most and people really need help with there RENt so i will be so happy when Section 8 is reopened to help those who truly need it and ther families..

Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM

11 posts, read 18,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kili087 View Post

HPD now handles all incoming section 8 applications. You can apply for HPD units and sometimes they have some units aside that are section 8 (Project Based) Good Luck!

Old 11-27-2015, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,975 times
There are plenty of disabled Vets with section 8 (HUD/VASH program) now and we get discriminated against shamefully. Landlords lump us in with the bad apples. It's not right. We served the country and now Landlords should find it in their hearts to cut us a break and rent to us.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:47 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
landlord hearts???

Wrong demographic.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 PM

274 posts, read 297,997 times
I always liked HilltopJay. he says it like it is. No political correctness and sound reason.

Fact is section 8 tenants have a bad reputation, but that's through their own actions. its too bad that vets and the elderly are rolled into that category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City