Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM

6 posts, read 22,020 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I are looking to buy our first house and start a family! You may think my concerns are premature but we have always been a couple whom plan. For the past two years we have rented a house in the lovely town of Forest Hills NY however the property prices and outdoor area you get for your money is less than we would like ( we like to enjoy our home and spend all our time weather permitted outdoors. So we are looking to move further upstate either, Westchester, Rockland, or New Jersey and possibly the beginning of Orange county. My husband and I do need to be within one hour and a half commute of the city for family and work. Our dream is to be lakeside and as my husband is a builder and I am an interior designer, the thought of a house with a little land to extend and renovate does not scare us, in fact we would love the opportunity to profit from our home in the future. I know we may be asking for a lot, so our main priority would be that we buy in an area that we could stay and raise our new family for at least the next five to ten years, this means good schools, health services, supermarkets, good community, etc... To sum it up we do not want to be completely isolated out in the sticks! After all, families like to be near other families.
If anyone can advise and help us narrow, our search down it would be appreciated. By the way, we would be looking to spend between 500K and 700K. Thank you so much in advance. Emma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 05:10 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,930 times
There is a lot out there in your price range....i would recommend something like New City down in Rockland, possibly Monroe/Woodbury Area, or even Warwick.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:53 AM

47 posts, read 193,191 times
Try Lake Lucille in New City(Rockland). It's a very small lake, but a nice community.

Try some of the lake communities in Putnam county above Westchester. I forget most of their names; there are a few.

Good Luck.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:14 AM

103 posts, read 448,550 times
You can try South Salem, Lake Katonah and Somers in Northern Westchester and Mahopac in Putnam county. There are small lakes all over the area, and your price range can afford a nice house with good potential. Commute to the city is easy on Metro North/Harlem line, trains arrive to Grand Central.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Thank you for your replies we will look at all your suggestions and let you know how we do.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Our first priority is good schools,any suggestions? Thank you

Old 07-02-2007, 03:25 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma E View Post
Our first priority is good schools,any suggestions? Thank you
In Southern Orange, you can still get a pretty good bang for your buck and still have a great school district. Monroe-Woodbury is very good and there are several lakes throughout.

~Joey

Old 07-02-2007, 07:16 PM

103 posts, read 448,550 times
All Westchester/Putnam towns I mentioned above are in excellent school districts: John Jay (South Salem, Katonah), Somers (Somers), Mahopac (Mahopac).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York