Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate Rome as a place to live and raise a family?
Very good place 4 40.00%
Somewhat of a good place 1 10.00%
Not a good place 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 21,393 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm trying to get some information about Rome New York. I was born in the snow capitol of the United States - Rome New York - and I'm seriously thinking about returning. If anyone has some information for me including job opportunities, housing, churches and other resources, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you very, very much.

Regards,

K Davenport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2006, 02:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I'm also making the move back to Upstate NY. But I'm going home to Rochester. I am not very familiar with the Rome, but my Father lives in Utica. That area isn't doing to well. I would suggest maybe Albany for the best job opportunities in Upstate NY.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:10 AM

26 posts, read 110,592 times
I'm planning to move back to upstate new york as well... Rochester area (formerly from Buffalo - don't want to go back there). Can you give me an insight as to pay scale for legal staff (secretary/paralegal). It's hard to apply for work if you haven't a clue what's good or not-so-good pay. I'd also like to know about the towns around Rochester - good, bad, or indifferent (I'm thinking about Irondequoit, Webster, Ontario). I haven't lived in upstate new york for many years so I'm sure it will be a whole new experience!

Old 04-24-2006, 10:03 PM

The nicest suburb of Rochester is probably Pittsford. They have one of the best school disrticts in the country and all of the neighborhoods and subdivisions are beautiful. They have their own nice little historic downtown and a nice dock lined with shops and restaraunts on the Erie Canal. I was originaly from Greece, a town west of the city... in general. the eastern suburbs of Rochester are nicer... the east side of the city tends to be nicer than the west side too. When I move back this summer I am actually considering moving to a nice neigbhorhood of the city. They have a load of beautiful turn of the century homes with nice charecter. (I would use my brother's address to send my kids to Pittsford schools though)

Old 04-25-2006, 08:43 AM

Thanks!! I kind of thought that the east side of town was better.

I think a nice city neighborhood is awesome. But I don't know which areas are good and which are not. I understand the crime rate is high, but when I compared it to the place where I currently live, it was actually lower!! Who knew? And all this time, I've felt quite safe here (West Palm Beach).

I just love the old victorian type homes with loads of character, don't you? I'm going up there next week to look at properties and found a gorgeous home in Ontario. Can you tell me anything about that town? It doesn't seem like a very long drive to the city. I don't have any children (they're all grown - I'm an "empty nester") so schools aren't very important. I need to find a job too and I really hate the thought of driving into the city every day - would love to find a job close to where I live! I guess safety is my biggest issue. Also, Ontario is in Wayne Co. rather than Monroe -- do you know if taxes are lower in Wayne Co.? I'm blown away by the taxes!! Whew! I guess that's just New York for ya! Where do you currently live? How long have you been away from NY? I haven't lived there since 1980!

Last edited by Skye; 04-25-2006 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-25-2006, 08:30 PM

Wayne county taxes are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than Monreo County taxes... as are the taxes in Ontario county... the fastest growing county in the area. Pretty much all of the city of Rochester's well kept old victorian homes are in the Southeastern area of the city in the Park Avenue area. Crime there is very low compaired to other areas of the city and you won't see much "grittiness" there. But most people in the area would tell you to move to the suburbs. You for sure won't have to worry about crime there and people tend to be more neighborly.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 24,588 times
Don't do it. I lived in and around Utica (it's neighboring city) from 1969-1989. I remember the population being around 80,000 to 100,000 and now it's closer to 50,000. Why did so many people leave? Not much in the way of job opportunities, and the crime rate went up. I could go back right now and buy my old house in Utica for less money than I sold it for in 1989. It's probably not like you remember, and that's a bummer cause I have many fond memories of the area. Places you live sometimes change. I've lived in Arizona 17yrs now and the weather is nice, and there's alot to do in the area, but faced with the opposite senario...there are "too many people" moving here! Loved it when we first moved here, but it changed, and not for the better. Hope you find a nice place you like though.

Last edited by soon2Bazrefugee; 05-05-2006 at 11:59 PM..

Old 05-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Just got back from Rochester trip

Weather was beautiful - had a great time - but it was so good to get back to Fla. I just don't know about going back up there to live!! I'm inclined to agree with soon2b.... - things are just not going great guns up there economically. New York state is an expensive place to live -- taxes are outrageous!! Property taxes are $2000+ and upwards to nearly $5000 for comparable homes like I have in Fla. sales tax is significanty higher -- and then there's the state income tax! those people are taxed to death!

decisions... decisions....

thanks to everone for your input.

Last edited by Skye; 05-07-2006 at 01:02 PM..

Old 05-07-2006, 01:45 PM

All I can say is this, and you can take this 2 cents and buy some penny candy with it. What are your reasons for wanting to move to Rochester, and what are your reasons for staying in Florida. Personaly, for me, having asked the same questions for years (only about NC instead of FL) I came to the conclusion that the only thing that was significantly bettter here was the economy and cost of living. Both of those factors are subject to change. Raleigh won't always have a booming economy and the cost of living wont always stay low (you would understand that though, living in Florida; my mother-in-law lives down there for half of the year, and says the cost of living has skyrocketed in the past couple of years, and is only going up). The reason I wanted to move back to Rochester was because I wanted to be closer to my family, and be in an area with more of a "community feel". I can't speak for Florida, but I know in the "Triangle", that community feel is lacking, for me at least. I don't care for the extremely humid southern summers and in all reality don't mind the snowy winters in WNY because their beautiful summers and falls make up for it IMO. But it all depends on what you prefer and what you are looking for. You may like the weather in Florida so much that you couldn't handle the snowy winters in Rochester. Just go with what matters to you most.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:12 PM

I keep going back and forth with it -- and I know you're right about (a) community (b) beauty of summer and fall and (c) economy is subject to change everywhere and anywhere.

I guess my concerns are whether or not I can handle the cold weather again and whether I can find employment that will pay enough for me to live on -- i'm 59 years old...haven't lived in the north in nearly 30 years and once I get up there I know I won't be able to come back if I find it just unbearable. I have visions of cleaning the snow from my car on a mid-January morning thinking "what have i done!!" It's quite an undertaking to make a permanent move and I just don't want to feel like I've made a huge mistake after all is said and done. The thoughts of starting all over again, re-establishing myself in a whole new environment is a bit overwhelming. I'll need to get a job when I get there and employers aren't exactly in desparate search of someone in my age group. As we all know, getting a decent job is all about networking these days... as opposed to searching the classifieds, and I have no contacts up there in that regard.

You're also right about reasoning and deciding where my priorities lie -- it's just a matter of weighing out the pros and cons. Whatever my decision turns out to be, I guess I'll just have to live with it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York