Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 AM

197 posts, read 636,360 times

Advertisements

Port Jervis, Monticello, Liberty, Wurtsboro, Walden, Newburgh, Schenectedy, Gloversville,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
Malone & Massena in NNY.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 PM

38 posts, read 155,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
malone & massena in nny.
bingo

Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,590 times
Yep, if they ever close the prisons then Malone will be hard pressed to survive.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,918 times
Talking Not exactly

Someone out there must see potential and growth here...............in the past year, we have or are in the midst of adding more airline routes here (direct flights) to additional cities in Florida, a new Hampton Inn, a Fairfield Inn, a Taco Bell, a 5 Guys Burgers/Fries, Walgreens, Texas Steakhouse, new optical shoppe, Moe's Southwest Grill, new Aspen Dental Group Offices among the things I know right off the top of my head........our foreclosure rate is nil, our colleges are packed with the most students ever, and we even have traffic jams now! I don't get the sense at all that this is an economically depressed area. If anything, we have more people living here from Vermont because our housing costs are so low compared with theirs......No huge companies are shutting doors.......Montrealers in great numbers are here almost every weekend.....We are in the midst of growth here economically for whatever reason. You can take this town off of your 'ghost town' list...........not happening here..........

Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Unless something major has happened since I graduated, how is Plattsburgh depressed? Wasn't it gaining population? There are many beautiful streets and homes in the area.
Many small, as well as, not so small businesses have closed. Starbucks downsized.... their building AND staff. Labor Ready closed it's doors mid 2009. I guess something major has happened since you graduated. Go to DSS on any given day and the crowd is equal in size. New people in all the time needing assistance for one thing or another. People that acquired jobs through 'job search' or 'One Work Source' have been back because of layoffs. Temporary and seasonal work is all there is. Other than positions in the medical field.

Sure would be nice if people began to realize that our country is NOT in as good of shape as some seem to think it is.

But then what do I know. I just live here.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
Port Jervis, Monticello, Liberty, Wurtsboro, Walden, Newburgh, Schenectedy, Gloversville,
Newburgh? The town definitely not, the city (somewhat). We all know the City of Newburgh has its crime problems a lot of people on welfare, but I wouldn't really call it depressed. The waterfont district is thriving. Buildings and houses from the 1800s and early 1900s are being fixed up. A lot of new businesses have opened up on Liberty Street. East Parmenter Street is being redevelop. Orange County Community College is moving to a brand new building.

Newburgh has a lot of projects and things going in its future. Give it another decade or two and Newburgh will have turned it dramatically around like Beacon has done.

It's like not Sullivan County where nothing is really happening there.

Last edited by OrangeHudson; 10-28-2010 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 08:23 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
Someone out there must see potential and growth here...............in the past year, we have or are in the midst of adding more airline routes here (direct flights) to additional cities in Florida, a new Hampton Inn, a Fairfield Inn, a Taco Bell, a 5 Guys Burgers/Fries, Walgreens, Texas Steakhouse, new optical shoppe, Moe's Southwest Grill, new Aspen Dental Group Offices among the things I know right off the top of my head........our foreclosure rate is nil, our colleges are packed with the most students ever, and we even have traffic jams now! I don't get the sense at all that this is an economically depressed area. If anything, we have more people living here from Vermont because our housing costs are so low compared with theirs......No huge companies are shutting doors.......Montrealers in great numbers are here almost every weekend.....We are in the midst of growth here economically for whatever reason. You can take this town off of your 'ghost town' list...........not happening here..........
And this would be the reason that Plattsburgh is seeing any kind of economic growth. If it weren't for the college this place would be much worse off. The only reason traffic may be heavier is because school has started. I never said this place is a ghost town. But there are a lot of people hurting here. As with all over the US.

We are at 9.0% unemployment. Granted that's down 1% from April. Still that's not much. And still way too high.

http://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/laus.asp - just scroll down till you get Plattsburgh for the sheet.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
Yep, if they ever close the prisons then Malone will be hard pressed to survive.

That would be the case for many upstate towns, Population would also go down because they count the prison population as apart of the towns population.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Newburgh? The town definitely not, the city (somewhat). We all know the City of Newburgh has its crime problems a lot of people on welfare, but I wouldn't really call it depressed. The waterfont district is thriving. Buildings and houses from the 1800s and early 1900s are being fixed up. A lot of new businesses have opened up on Liberty Street. East Parmenter Street is being redevelop. Orange County Community College is moving to a brand new building.

Newburgh has a lot of projects and things going in its future. Give it another decade or two and Newburgh will have turned it dramatically around like Beacon has done.

It's like not Sullivan County where nothing is really happening there.

The only reason why orange county has more happening than sullivan is because of all the commuters in orange. also sullivan very rural and pretty secluded and too far to commute to nyc from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York