Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 AM

134 posts, read 286,372 times

Advertisements

So I am coming to NYC next month (Dec 9-12) for the first time! Any suggestions for things that we MUST do? Places to eat? I am traveling with a girlfriend and we are 28 and 30. We will be celerating our birthdays while we are there. Someone suggested we try Nobu for our bday dinner. Any other suggestions for fun things to do? We want to visit some of the 9-11 memorial, FAO Schwartz, maybe go to Central Park and check out a broadway show. Thats about it for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:22 AM

715 posts, read 2,510,020 times
Make sure you stop and see Grand Central Terminal on 42nd Street. The Staten Island Ferry -- to say you've ridden it -- is pretty much a must do. Do the Empire State Building, Central Park, and Times Square.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Rock of Ages is a fun show about the Sunset Strip in the 1980's. Very loud, bawdy, rowdy, raucus, and fun -- almost like being in a club during that time period. I've seen it 3X -- Love it! Playbill.com has a special ticket offer for Rock of Ages (and other popular shows) but you need to sign up as a member (free) in order to get it.

In the Broadway area, try to have Dinner (or at least drinks) at the View Restaurant and Lounge at the top of the Marriott Marquis. It's a revolving rooftop restaurant which offers magnificent views while rotating.

The Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center will be lit by the time you arrive and the whole Rock Center area is wonderful to see at Christmas. You can ice skate at Rock Center under the big tree. Radio City Music Hall is right there and each year there is the big Christmas Spectacular which is a huge tradition. Great show. St Patrick's Cathedral is right there, too, so in a matter of 1 block you can see 3 iconic NY landmarks. I almost forgot -- NBC offers studio tours -- another thing to do at Rock Center.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest posting this on the NYC board, too, to get the local perspective.

Off the top of my head other things to do/see:
South Street Seaport
Museum of Modern Art
Museum of Natural History/Hayden Planetarium
Chinatown/Little Italy

I love December in the City -- I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 PM

48 posts, read 131,562 times
Definetly do a broadway show-Wicked and How to be Successful in Business... are very popular right now (use broadwaybox.com to get cheaper tickets for other shows) Times Square is AMAZING! Hard Rock cafe is cool as well. M&M store, Madame Tussaud's wax museum, central park...Have fun in the city that never sleeps;-)

Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 PM

48 posts, read 131,562 times
Also, if you get the chance, try to get to the Statue of Liberty too (Battery Park)-very reasonably priced and def a day trip

Old 11-29-2011, 02:47 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
As already suggested you should post this question on the NYC forum rather than the NY State forum.
I would suggest taking a ride on the Roosevelt Island tram for a great view of the Manhattan skyline.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM

Thanks everyone! I didn't realize there was a NYC Forum....going to post there now!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:55 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
I actually think as a tourist you will have better luck here in the general forum, many of them may not have done the tourist stuff.

Dreamshots list is about the same as mine.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Thanks a lot. I posted there anyway and have gotten about the same number of replies....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I actually think as a tourist you will have better luck here in the general forum, many of them may not have done the tourist stuff.

Dreamshots list is about the same as mine.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
My GF and I took a horse drawn carriage ride through Central Park a couple weeks ago. In 44 years its by far the kewlest thing I have ever done on a date. You should do it.

The Cake Boss has a shop in Times Square. Have a cannoli. They are the best I have ever had. We went down to Mulberry ST for comparison and the CB wins but the ones in Littly Italy are pretty amazing as well.

The view of the skyline after dark from the Staten Island ferry takes my breath away everytime I see it. Everytime.

Use the subway, its cheap and fast. Nothing scary about the trains, not in Manhattan at least. Nothing scary at all. Manhattan is huge, walking isn't really an option.

Buy a knock off bag for the old lady on Canal St. What the heck its fun.

Walk 34ST by day. 42 ST by night. Both are prolly safer then your living room.

On a clear day the top of the Empire State Building is more then words can ever say, MUST SEE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York