Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM

454 posts, read 763,863 times

Advertisements

I always wonder how NY anti-frack peeps can dismiss so much money so easily (I wrote this on another post) when NY is in such dire straits.

And I also wonder how the gas industry can even exist if it goes around "poisoning water." It wouldn't last 5 years.

Here in Dallas, the water out of the tap smells and tastes awful already, so we'd never know if we were drinking benzene on the rocks. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
I always wonder how NY anti-frack peeps can dismiss so much money so easily (I wrote this on another post) when NY is in such dire straits.

And I also wonder how the gas industry can even exist if it goes around "poisoning water." It wouldn't last 5 years.

Here in Dallas, the water out of the tap smells and tastes awful already, so we'd never know if we were drinking benzene on the rocks. Cheers.
I suppose we should ask the folks in PA who can set their tap water on fire.

The bottom line is, no one knows for sure how fracking will impact NY in the long run, so it pays to be cautious. You can compare it to TX, I can compare it to PA - but we won't know for sure until fracking has been going on in NY for a while. Again, we need to proceed with caution because there is a lot at risk.

Of course money is needed, but New Yorkers have to decide whether it is something we should risk our natural resources for. And the answer to that question will vary depending on who you ask.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
I live around gas drilling just outside of Dallas, Texas. I find much of what is stated in the NY 'newspapers' is nothing like the fracking that I know. I live in a Scarsdale-like suburb northwest of Dallas, and we've had fracking around us for 15 years. I read in our little local paper yesterday that we are getting 4 more wells in our town. No fanfare, no outrage.

I have seen a couple of rigs here and there, but they are only present for about 6 weeks, then they are replaced by a much smaller apparatus. Drilling in no way has changed anything about our town. I have never seen a truck, the roads are fine, our real estate values have climbed steadily, and it's done only good in increased revenues for our area.

Drilling in no way "industrializes" a region, at least it hasn't down here. In fact, it can be done without you even noticing it.

Maybe they operate differently up there, but here in Texas it's been no big deal, just lots of money. BTW, whenever I state this on a forum, people (I guess the lefties) think I must 'work for the industry,' which I don't. I keep trying to calm people fears about this big change that they imagine is coming. Also, almost every article you read only reports (questionable) negative aspects of drilling.

Just had to throw in my 2 cents. Atleast it's from a person who has actually witnessed drilling, and not just read about it. If anyone would like to ask me about the drilling here, feel free to reply.
How do they dispose of the waste water, how much of the chemical fracking liquid is recovered. You never saw a truck, that is rather hard to believe, that is most certainly not the case in North Dakota. How does fracking increase real estate values, I would think it's the other way around.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 PM

Didn't see any trucks, granted the number of drill sites is much greater than TX but have to wonder.

"The Population Doubles
Imagine you live in a small rural town worried for years about depopulation, and suddenly, overnight, the population doubles, and the newcomers are thousands of young men without families. Imagine that you live in a tiny town with one main street that doubles as a state highway.
That's the situation in New Town, N.D., population 1,500 — at least, it was a couple of years ago. Today it's anybody's guess how many people live here, and no one knows how many 18-wheelers roll through every day, either. They just know it never stops."

Oil Boom Puts Strain On North Dakota Towns : NPR

Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM

93,366 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Maybe people should look up Oil Springs Indian Reservation. Kind of an odd situation.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Sorry if you can't read the entire article.

ALBANY -- One of the most contentious issues in the debate over shale gas drilling in New York's share of the Marcellus Shale region -- how to handle millions of gallons of contaminated wastewater -- remains unsettled. As the state ponders final regulations, environmental advocates say the issue is a glaring gap in preparations.

There are three options for waste disposal in the state Department of Environmental Conservation's 1,500-page environmental review and proposed regulations for hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, of deep horizontal wells for natural gas in the Marcellus Shale:
Truck the millions of gallons of wastewater produced per well to a treatment facility and either discharge the treated water into a river or reuse it for another drilling project; -- Ship it out of state for deep-well injection disposal; or
Recycle it on-site for drilling multiple wells

Wastewater disposal core of drilling debate

Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
If they want to drill, fine, let them drill. But there should be a stipulation written into the law that says if you screw up the environment the punishment is the death penalty. I think that's fair.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
If they want to drill, fine, let them drill. But there should be a stipulation written into the law that says if you screw up the environment the punishment is the death penalty. I think that's fair.
Unfortunately that won't solve the problem they created, superfund sites will outlive generations.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sorry if you can't read the entire article.

ALBANY -- One of the most contentious issues in the debate over shale gas drilling in New York's share of the Marcellus Shale region -- how to handle millions of gallons of contaminated wastewater -- remains unsettled. As the state ponders final regulations, environmental advocates say the issue is a glaring gap in preparations.

There are three options for waste disposal in the state Department of Environmental Conservation's 1,500-page environmental review and proposed regulations for hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, of deep horizontal wells for natural gas in the Marcellus Shale:
Truck the millions of gallons of wastewater produced per well to a treatment facility and either discharge the treated water into a river or reuse it for another drilling project; -- Ship it out of state for deep-well injection disposal; or
Recycle it on-site for drilling multiple wells

Wastewater disposal core of drilling debate
The article doesn't mention that thus far drillers do not have to disclose all of the chemical additives in the fracking fluid and flowback- different compounds require different filtering techniques, and if you don't know what is in the flowback, how do you know the filtering process(es) needed? In addition, flowback is radioactive, and that can't be filtered out.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Now now we must make it resonable and appropriate but most importently ENFORCABLE! Too many time the industries are able to tie things up in the courts for years. Make it straight foward and clear..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York