Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 11,594 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband is getting out of the military on medical retirement. We are looking to go back to NY but not into the city again. We have family down there but we want a more suburban life. I am 23, he is 29, and we just found out we are expecting. We don't want to be around people who party crazy. We want a good family community. From what I have been seeing, I really like the area of Wappingers Falls... any suggestions?

We are in Germany now so it isn't easy to just up and visit. We want good school districts and somewhere nice that won't run us a fortune. Also somewhere with decent jobs for my husband and I.

Please and Thank You for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:33 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFamily2012 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband is getting out of the military on medical retirement. We are looking to go back to NY but not into the city again. We have family down there but we want a more suburban life. I am 23, he is 29, and we just found out we are expecting. We don't want to be around people who party crazy. We want a good family community. From what I have been seeing, I really like the area of Wappingers Falls... any suggestions?

We are in Germany now so it isn't easy to just up and visit. We want good school districts and somewhere nice that won't run us a fortune. Also somewhere with decent jobs for my husband and I.

Please and Thank You for your advice.
Does it matter where in NY in terms of being closer to NYC or would further Upstate work for you? I ask this because of this: https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/ente...places_landing

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/ente...places_landing

Syracuse VA Medical Center Home

and he might be interested in this program: Military/Veteran Programs

and some more information: Central New York Jobs

Upstate New York Real Estate

Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

2011 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

Search for School Profiles

https://reportcards.nysed.gov/counties.php?year=2010

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 04:42 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM

715 posts, read 2,510,020 times
The Lower and Mid Hudson Valley are desirable places to live, for sure. A more subdued (as compared to Westchester and Rockland) suburban lifestyle can be found in Putnam, Dutchess, and Orange Counties. Wappingers is nice as is Fishkill, Hopewell Junction, and Beacon in Dutchess County. Cold Spring, Carmel, and Brewster are desirable in Putnam. The Town of Wallkill, Montgomery, Washingtonville, Chester, Goshen, Cornwall, The Town of Newburgh, Monroe, and Tuxedo are worth looking in to in Orange County. Aforementioned locations are suburban in nature but NY City is a short train ride / drive away.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM

Jobs can be found in the Hudson Valley but I would expand your search to include NYC if you decide to move to this area.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Thank you so much for that reply. We are looking to be within 3 hours max from the Bronx. That is where his mom and brother live. He grew up in Puerto Rico and the Bronx, so his first language is not English. He isn't looking in going back to school. I had to help him through his Associates because his grammer makes writing difficult. He is giving me his GI Bill benefits so I can do my masters.

We liked everything we have been seeing about Wappingers Falls and that area.. and all the way up to Oneonta. The only issue is that we are outsiders and really don't want to settle down somewhere we don't know much about..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Thank you for specific names, Dreamshot!! I will look into those places.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for that reply. We are looking to be within 3 hours max from the Bronx. That is where his mom and brother live. He grew up in Puerto Rico and the Bronx, so his first language is not English. He isn't looking in going back to school. I had to help him through his Associates because his grammer makes writing difficult. He is giving me his GI Bill benefits so I can do my masters.

We liked everything we have been seeing about Wappingers Falls and that area.. and all the way up to Oneonta. The only issue is that we are outsiders and really don't want to settle down somewhere we don't know much about..
Along with the Hudson Valley, perhaps the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area may work too. Perhaps some nice community near Amsterdam, which is a small city with a high Hispanic percentage, could be ideal in terms of comfort for your husband culturally, but finding a place that is safe with good schools. School districts like Schalmont, Mohonasen, Scotia, Broadalbin-Perth and Niskayuna. Cities like Schenectady, Albany and Troy also have noticeable Hispanic(largely Puerto Rican) communities too. Here is some school info for that area: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Along with the Hudson Valley, perhaps the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area may work too. Perhaps some nice community near Amsterdam, which is a small city with a high Hispanic percentage, could be ideal in terms of comfort for your husband culturally, but finding a place that is safe with good schools. School districts like Schalmont, Mohonasen, Scotia, Broadalbin-Perth and Niskayuna. Cities like Schenectady, Albany and Troy also have noticeable Hispanic(largely Puerto Rican) communities too.

Thank you
I know this may sound horrible.. but my husband does not like most Puerto Ricans. He hates how a lot of them give Puerto Ricans a bad name because of the high percentage of non working ones on welfare.. his words, not mine.. We go to Puerto Rico often and I think that is enough for him. He also is pretty political.. he does not want to live anywhere with too many democrats.. again, his words, not mine.. I know this all sounds horrible.. But he wants a pick up truck and a back yard. I want friends and neighbors.. which is why suburbs work for us. The only time he really likes being around big spanish speaking communities is for church.. and we are in Germany and found a church that is mostly spanish.. I am sure anywhere where our children will be safe and in good schools is all we really ask for.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Next question for everyone.. .Where to avoid in Dutchess county??

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Next question for everyone.. .Where to avoid in Dutchess county??
The City of Poughkeepsie. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York