Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 15,932 times

Advertisements

I love historic homes and have always wanted to restore one. Anyways, I have fallen in love with one in Little Falls, (and nothings definite or set in concrete), but before I make the decision to buy it, what is Little Falls like? I remember reading it had about 5000 people, but thats about all I know. Anyone know anything else? Nice small town? In the middle of no-where? good? bad? I'm from Maryland so I don't quite know what to expect. How much does it snow up there? (not that I hate snow, I was just wondering). Thx for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 15,932 times
Oh, and if this helps, I was reading, and remember that it was "the geographically smallest town in Herkimer County".

Old 09-07-2006, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 7,959 times
Default Little Falls

By reading your post I assume that you have never visited Little Falls and that your have found this historic home on the web?

It would seem that if you are at all serious about purchasing a house there you would want to visit the area first. That would be the best way to find out if you like the town/area.

Little Falls is east of Syracuse and would have similar weather. Sometimes we get lots of snow, some years, like last year, not so much. Little Falls is located on the Erie Canal and there is a lock there with a drop of over 40'! I've never seen it but hope to this coming weekend. I also believe there are remnants nearby of a much earlier canal lock that was part of a canal which preceded the old Erie Canal of 1825. So yes this town has history, as do most canal towns.

If you are interested in the area do come to visit. Fall is an especially nice time here!

Old 12-16-2006, 09:17 PM

10 posts, read 90,161 times
Hello Nick7764. Although I have never lived in Little Falls, my wife and I visited the town for a couple of days in November. We are from California and are also thinking about relocating, and Little Falls is one of the town we are interested in. I thought the town was beautiful, the homes and buildings are very historic. It's definately small town life, but it seemed a really nice community to me. I would be interested to know if you actually do move to the area. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 AM

144 posts, read 637,956 times
I am orginally from the Mohawk Valley/Herkimer County. I now live in Northern California, but grew up and spent 25 years of my life in upstate NY. Little Falls was, pardon the pun, a neat little place. It's pretty in the summer, I believe the Mohawk River runs right through it. There used to be an incredible Italian restaurant we would go to every month, not sure if it's still there. Very hilly. Very old. The whole region has had a major exodous of people and businesses over the past 10-15 years. It does snow like a ******* there. In the feet range. Rains quite a bit in the summers too. It's quiet and simple there. Tons of old historic houses for you to work on. Plenty of cheap land to buy up around there too. I personally couldn't ever live there, but if you like a slow place of life, can afford to live on a low salary, and enjoy the ups and downs of bad weather, it's a perfect place. Go visit first. See if you like it!

Old 12-22-2006, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 17,354 times
Default Love it here

We moved here two years ago. It was a definite change of pace for both of us, but upon retiring it was exactly what we were looking for. We too searched all over PA and NY before finding where we wanted to be.

I would have to say that housing prices are at least a couple of years behind the curve of the rest of the country. I think they have peaked in LF and will be on their way down eventually. There are certainly a number of beautiful houses in town, and others that just need someone to care about them to restore them to beauty.

There's fishing on the canal, Canal Days, a short drive to Adirondack Forest...it's a perfect place if you're an outdoorsy type of person.

There are some adjustments to be made to living in a small town, especially if you come from an urban area. Everything is very much concentrated because the town is just under 5000 people. For us, it's taken a little while, but we've found that over time it's become so comfortable that we have a hard time imagining leaving.

That's a long enough post for now...if anyone has more questions, or would like specific questions answered, please feel free to e-mail us at Koshbashar@msn.com.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 7,964 times
I lived in Little Falls growing up in the 50s and 60s... now I am in my 60s and have become interested in Little Falls' history, and it's future. The town has not just been in a downward spiral for a few years... it's been headed down since about 1910. Old and picturesque... it certainly is, but the valley that makes it beautiful also acts as limiting force. My hope is that the future will be better...

Old 06-23-2008, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,417 times
Default What happened to Little Falls

There was a Mayor of the town named Ted Blowhard. He tore down the working class people's housing along mainstreet. He was the mayor for 40 years of ruination of the town. He called it Urban Renewal. When the new census came out he doubted it's accuracy. He torn down their housing and then couldn't believe they moved. He helped to support the Democrats in Albany to continually raise taxes to drive out the great manufacturing businesses that made Little Falls a great American town and tribute to the working class. He raised the taxes on property to the point that more affluent people moved out and sold their mansions at bargain prices to people that couldn't maintain them. He helped to build an artificial "steel awning" along the historic main street that was both hideous and ugly while he lined his pockets with donations and perks from the construction companies hired to do it. All the great mansions were forced to be sold to government projects that filled the town with "mentally disabled" and social misfits. You can live there if you want but I suggest you be true blue democrat to get along. Other than that it's a great great city to have lived in, during the 50's and 60's.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,218 times
Default Little Falls

I am reading with interest all the posts from those who seem not too familiar with Little Falls. I have lived here all of my life and cannot imagine living anywhere else. I did go away to college but was anxious to return. I have a good job, have a wonderful family, and am very happy on where I am in my life. I recommend Little Falls to anyone. Yes, it is small and some of the homes are VERY close to one another, and there are a lot of hills but the pros outweigh the cons. My family is safe, the schools are excellent and the people are friendly. It is a small town but it is a safe one. Oh, and regarding the post where the person noted that all the mansions were sold for those "mentally disabled" people. Yes, several of them were but those "mentally disabled" individuals need good homes too!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,932 times
Default Hancock St. Little falls

Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me a little about that area in Little Falls, I am buying a home on that street through an auction, and haven't seen it yet. Is that area nice? The house is located on that street, It was a forclosure, and I am going to fix it up for a second home. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York