Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 PM

104 posts, read 282,892 times

Advertisements

Huge debate of mine, which consist of some of these cities! Where would you relocate and why??
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Poughkeepsie because it's the closest to NYC, one of my favorite places to be.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 PM

370 posts, read 1,366,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Schultz View Post
Huge debate of mine, which consist of some of these cities! Where would you relocate and why??
* TROY CITY NO WAY--looks like the South Bronx in downtown Troy.
* Albany city NO WAY* bad crime (see above)

I am sure both Troy and Albany have nice parts but where I have been have looked dicey with very high crime rates.

Do you want to live in a city and do you have a job already?
c
I live in a suburb of Albany that is just a suburban place but okay. I will be moving though after May. Where to is still up in the air but maybe north of Albany. If my husband doesn't get another job by then, we are out of the capital region...

Never been to Schenectady but hear crime is VERY BAD.

Poughkeepsie (city of) was crime ridden in 1988 when I lived there...but you could live in Hyde Park or Fishkill (nearby towns).

Don't know about Utica or Syracuse or Buffalo.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:34 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Schultz View Post
What are you looking for in a place to live? Once that is established, then the people trying to help you will give specific information.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:45 PM

104 posts, read 282,892 times
See, I'm not too worried about looks, as to I am quite fancy upon the romanesque buildings that Troy has, although I thought their crime rate was substancially lower than opposing cities like Albany, Schnectady, Poughkeepsie and Buffalo. I love NYC and don't mind the rough look as long as it isn't rough.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM

I believe that Troy's crime rate is lower than most, if not all of those cities. Of course, there are good and bad in that regard in Troy though. You may like this neighborhood guide: Troy NY Neighborhoods (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods.html - broken link)

Here are guides for Schenectady and Albany: Schenectady 2020
//www.city-data.com/forum/alban...hborhoods.html
Schenectady::Neighborhood Asscociations

Albany NY Neighborhoods - Mansion, Pine Hills, Center Square, Colonie, Guilderland, Troy & More On Albany.com - Community's Official Guide
Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY
Neighborhood Commercial Districts - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY (http://www.albanyny.org/Businesses/EconomicDevelopment/CapitalizeAlbanyCorporation/NeighborhoodCommercialDistricts.aspx - broken link)
Neighborhoods of Albany, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Albany Neighborhoods

Old 02-13-2012, 03:03 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Any reason Rochester is not on your lengthy list? Just curious.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM

70 posts, read 165,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that Troy's crime rate is lower than most, if not all of those cities. Of course, there are good and bad in that regard in Troy though. You may like this neighborhood guide: Troy NY Neighborhoods (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods.html - broken link)

Here are guides for Schenectady and Albany: Schenectady 2020
//www.city-data.com/forum/alban...hborhoods.html
Schenectady::Neighborhood Asscociations

Albany NY Neighborhoods - Mansion, Pine Hills, Center Square, Colonie, Guilderland, Troy & More On Albany.com - Community's Official Guide
Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY
Neighborhood Commercial Districts - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY (http://www.albanyny.org/Businesses/EconomicDevelopment/CapitalizeAlbanyCorporation/NeighborhoodCommercialDistricts.aspx - broken link)
Neighborhoods of Albany, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Albany Neighborhoods
It is lower than most on the list but still pretty high.Troy has a violent crime rate of 902. The 20th highest for cities with a pop between 40,000-60,000. Also just a disclaimer I've never been to Troy just reporting stats, so I'm only looking at it through numbers.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndicottNewYork View Post
It is lower than most on the list but still pretty high.Troy has a violent crime rate of 902. The 20th highest for cities with a pop between 40,000-60,000. Also just a disclaimer I've never been to Troy just reporting stats, so I'm only looking at it through numbers.
Also keep in mind that Troy is a city center that is among many suburbs of bigger city centers and the population is short by almost 4000 people according to the information I compared between the list on Wikipedia and this website: US2010

Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Also, Binghamton and the surrounding area may work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York