Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,938 times

Advertisements

<Shakes head, sighs>

Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Yup and God bless.........

Old 06-20-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe weed View Post
wow. that's some great info and a lot of alternatives to look into. thanks so much. btw, i googled Thruway (didn't know what that was) and found their site. seems like a round about way and will add about an hour to get to nyc but it looks like the more direct route will be activity challenged. mahalo!
Is the more direct route to go Route 219 to I-86 to Binghamton to I-81 south to I-380 to I-80 to NYC from Niagara Falls? If so, you may like the Corning Museum of Glass, a Binghamton Mets game, perhaps a a detour to Watkins Glen or Ithaca or maybe a trip to the Arnot Mall in Big Flats or Oakdale Mall in Johnson City.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:15 PM

715 posts, read 2,510,721 times
Mapquest actually suggests that the Thruway (90) to Syracuse and then south on 81 to Binghamton and into PA to 80 east is the most efficient route. In addition to CKH's suggestions, if you've never had Krispy Kreme, there is one in Scranton, PA...also, AAA Scranton Red Barons (Yankees)...and this route also rendezvous with Route 17/4 in New Jersey at the Garden State Plaza...this place is a woman's dream, trust me --- if you decide to take this route, I'd suggest Bobby's Burger Palace in Paramus, NJ

Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 PM

If the MapQuest route is the correct route, then a trip to the drive in A&W in Cortland may work and perhaps a trip to this nearby resort could as well: Greek Peak - Ski Resort, Indoor Waterpark, Spa, Adventure Center

There's Roseland Waterpark near Canandaigua and Thunder Island near Fulton too. Roseland Waterpark

Welcome to Thunder Island!

There are also drive in movie theaters just outside of Auburn, Fulton and Rome. Finger Lakes Drive-In | Auburn, NY

Midway Drive-in Theatre

West Rome Drive-In lives on to see 61st season - YNN, Your News Now
New owners say West Rome Drive-in will open this summer | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News

Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 AM

67 posts, read 95,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is the more direct route to go Route 219 to I-86 to Binghamton to I-81 south to I-380 to I-80 to NYC from Niagara Falls? If so, you may like the Corning Museum of Glass, a Binghamton Mets game, perhaps a a detour to Watkins Glen or Ithaca or maybe a trip to the Arnot Mall in Big Flats or Oakdale Mall in Johnson City.
Yes looks like it. I think the mapquest directions going through Syracuse may have more to see. maybe stop overnight at Scranton. That or stay on the thruway and stop overnight in Albany.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I stated I don't like that area and told what I consider some good choices in Eastern NY.
You never stated in this thread that you don't like the area. Saying Buffalo to Utica is flyover country is absolutely misleading because as CKH pointed out him and Dreamshot listed lots of things to do.

To the OP - while not kid-friendly, there are a ton of wineries throughout the Finger Lakes region if you and your wife wanted to pop in for some tastings or just to pick up some bottles. I also see you're visiting from Hawaii... I moved here from Hawaii almost 3 years ago! Hope you're enjoying your trip!

Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM

The long version??

Here goes...............

I'm by no means as well traveled s the others here of coarse but I've traveled the NYS Thruway from Buffalo to NYC many times, including as recently as this Month. Actually from the PA line which is not the same as Buffalo like many think. The Thruway does end there but it starts back up on the other side.

Buffalo is a pretty nice city. Gets kinda a bum rap but I like it. Its a near top tier city for retail having most national chains. Only afew biggies I can think of missing, Nordstroms Costco and Trader Joes being three. In my hobby field I have two national chains, kinda like Coke/Pepsi. Buffalo did have both but lost one this year. Some of the places along Transit Rd are the biggest I have ever seen. Oh well they still have one. Personally I like Buffalo but if I was going to the city why bother?? NYC has everything.

Then Rochester. For retail I'd say Rochester was a notch down from Buffalo. Many of the same chains but not all. Nice city. I do prefer Buffalo but have other reasons to be in Rochester and really it has everything I personally could ever want.

Couple nice things to see in the Rochester/Buffalo area but I focused on the amusement park and sports part of your request. KInda tough to top the baseball HOF in Cooperstown when someone asks about sports IMHO. So I skiped those parks. Darin Lake park is out there but I thought I'd plug the Adirondacks instead. Prettier ride.

Syracuse and Utica?? They both just have basic mass market retail. I'm sure where ever your from you have everything those two small cities have. I live right between them and while one or the other have better this and that they both offer the same very limited selection of everything. Retail is zero. Attractions are zero.

But from Utica on there are literary a million things to do. But you had said time was a factor. So I picked two things off your list and stated them. Like history?? The Herkimer House is in Little Falls. Nice old house built before the Revolution by slaves. Did you know NY had slavery?? And the drive down US 20?? Until say roughly 1960 US 2o was the main road across NY and tons of neat stuff was built along the way. By 1970 or so most was closed down but I remembered seeing alot of it. I love that stuff. Most is gone now though but some can still be seen. That whole area is so beautiful that if it don't make your heart flutter your already dead.

But you were basically just passing though so I gave the Cliffs.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:12 PM

All of the bigger Upstate NY areas west of Utica have big malls and there is an outlet mall in or near Waterloo. All 3 of those areas have minor league baseball, as does Batavia and Auburn. Rochester has a Major League Lacrosse team and Rhinos Soccer. I guess the Finger Lakes aren't worth anything(sarcasm). There is Letchworth State Park, aka the Grand Canyon of the Northeast south of Rochester. I could go on, but I already mentioned a bunch in other posts, as did other posters. This should help too: ILOVENY | The Official New York State Tourism Site-Home

New York State Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation

Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 AM

Thats the editorial aspect of it, his time is limited, he gave a rough time frame and asked what people thought he should see.

So I think like Finger Lakes, cute but mostly famous for wine and taking a day to catch a buzz going from sample to sample. OP is traveling fast with teenagers. Not a good fit IMO.

OP likes sports. Some minor league team in Podunk NY or Cooperstown?? Time only allows one. I picked Cooperstown. Or he could skip Upstate all together and see the Yankees. Frankly I was appalled somebody asked about Upstate NY with four teenage boys that like sports and Cooperstown hadn't come up. But ya all used your own editorial licence to omit that. If it was four teenage girl fashionistas hell bent on shopping there way across the state I prolly woulda left that area out.

Letchworth State Park?? I love that park and was well aware he was going by it. Its nice, been actually trying to find time to get there myself again. But the area around Cooperstown or Old Forge is IMO much prettier.

Outlet Malls?? Those things are 6 for a buck all over the USA. He's on his way to NYC, why bother?? Within a couple hours he will have the choice between the actual Gucci store or a knock off on Canal Street.

On the history stuff I'm fascinated but not everybody is. NY was a slave state but due to the harsh climate and short growing season NY (all of the snowbelt) couldn't make slavery work for economic reasons. Smaller owner/operator farms made more sense then large plantations. Not to many years later NY became a hot bed of fire and brimstone abolition. Its interesting to go from place to place and see the transition, somewhat hypocritical, take place. But many people either care about only one side or don't care at all. So all I can do is point it out and move on.

Last edited by Sean®; 06-22-2012 at 04:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York