Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times

Advertisements

/\

The more you research the more you will find. Gas outside of NY automatically drops at least .30 cents due to tax differences. Property tax on cars can be irksome but usually pans out to way.....less than school taxes in NY. If you were to consider a move to SC look at the schools carefully the state is not considered one of the stronger ones for public education.

With regards to employment could you transfer your job and would it pay enough to have the lifestyle you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:33 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Yeah with this current increase even Dad is thinking of moving for the first time ever. He has always been a staunch supporter of our town and school, he was not happy when we moved two hours away. Yet he's even starting to say it might be cheaper elsewhere. Grandma and Grandpa and one of my uncles live near Myrtle Beach and we are always blown away by the cheaper cost of living there.

And that argument of get a cheaper place doesn't make sense. The whole point is I can afford a nice a place in another area, the only reason I cannot afford one here is taxes. My taxes have more than doubled in the last 6-7 years yet my services from those taxes have DRASTICALLY decreased. Not only am I getting less for my money, I am getting substantially less for substantially more money. I graduated from my daughters school and I am appalled by the changes there, the lack of opportunities she has.

I spent the day researching cost comparisons between here and Myrtle Beach. For 150-200K I could have a beautiful brand new home within 4-5 miles of the ocean. The current cost of gas in Myrtle is 3.30 a gallon (I called Grandpa) vs 3.88 a gallon here. SC income taxes would be about $60 a year cheaper (negligible difference). Groceries are much cheaper, produce options superior.

However, there is the car tax, which is something irksome to take into consideration. But I think it'd be worth it for the blue sky and sunshine.

NY state just doesn't seem to understand what is happening. People cannot afford to live here so they leave. That leaves the same (or higher) costs to support the state with less people to pay it. Therefore the people left have to pay more. So they leave. Its a cycle that can only be fixed by making it cheaper to live in NY state. Instead the powers that be are making it more costly to live in NY state, which will only increase the rate at which people leave.
Being that my mother's family is from an adjacent county, I'll say to pick the area you want accordingly in terms of schools and considering the part of NY you are from, there may be some culture shock. I'm thinking of Socastee, Carolina Forest, North Myrtle Beach, St. James and Myrtle Beach High are the schools you would probably want your children to feed into.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-07-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 03:51 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
LOL Sean you and I definitely share some opinions on NY. However in summer it is a beautiful state.

But I am just starting to learn how much extra I pay just to live in this state. I really had no idea until a few years ago that the cost of living is so much higher here. If I'd known I'm not sure what our life would be like now.

I obtained my first Masters degree in elementary education in 2004. I received a job offer in NC on my answering machine in response to a resume I had posted online. Yet we were scared to leave the state and my husband had just started his first professional job in Syracuse. Everyone told us that it cost a lot more to live down there and we would never make it. So we turned it down. I regret that decision every day. Even more, I regret not taking a $5000 signing bonus and giving Hawaii a try. But I'm sure my parents would have tackled us before we made it on the airplane with their grandaughter.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
Sorry I misrepresented, I'm not moving, just dreaming of moving. Comparing costs just to see what its like. I won't leave until my daughter graduates. I went to the same school k-12 and I want to make sure she has the same opportunity. Plus I am so ingrained here, one grandparent, 12 aunts and uncles, and over 30 cousins live within a 20 minute drive. I can only think of one cousin who has left the state, and she is definitely the black sheep of the family.

But yeah I did compare the jobs and given my education and experience I would make more money there, which was surprising. My husband would make a little less so that would be a wash.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Times have changed a great deal.

Back in 69 NY you could hear NY's death rattle but she was still twitching. That's when my parents pulled out of NY. All your family back then was generally close by.

But now taxes have driven millions of NYers out. Most likely all of us have family all over the US. And you will find a bunch of NYers (millions) wherever you go to ease your journey.

I net two ex NYers last year in Wall SD, pop. 700. One from the Albany area and one from Fayettevile.

The biggest boasters of other states are located in Albany NY. You can't look at the choices NY makes and draw any other conclusion they they WANT working people to leave.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Times have changed a great deal.

Back in 69 NY you could hear NY's death rattle but she was still twitching. That's when my parents pulled out of NY. All your family back then was generally close by.

But now taxes have driven millions of NYers out. Most likely all of us have family all over the US. And you will find a bunch of NYers (millions) wherever you go to ease your journey.

I net two ex NYers last year in Wall SD, pop. 700. One from the Albany area and one from Fayettevile.

The biggest boasters of other states are located in Albany NY. You can't look at the choices NY makes and draw any other conclusion they they WANT working people to leave.
If it wasn't for the drug store Wall wouldn't even be on the map. walldrug.com

Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonMassSAHM View Post
The only reason those don't seems to grasp the idea of high tax in New York are the same ones enjoying handouts, food stamps and welfares.

I think ckhthankgod jinxed the Syracuse game last night.
Was rooting for the Orange but dug too deep a hole. That final play call was questionable. Should of held on to the ball and shot an open 3. There were still 15 seconds left when the charge was called at 59-56.

The welfare benefits in NY is nauseating and am grateful to not contribute to these lazy bums anymore. Another extra sin tax in NY is on liquor. I literally pay half of what I paid in NY for wine and liquor at Fry's Food Stores in Tempe. I don't smoke but packs of marlboro's in AZ are between $5-$6. NY is over $10 last I knew. Yeah I know about the reservations for unregulated cheap smokes. However, they require a little driving even from Buffalo or Syracuse. I NEVER got gas at the res. NEVER. It's unregulated and messes up your fuel line and filter.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
LOL Sean you and I definitely share some opinions on NY. However in summer it is a beautiful state.

But I am just starting to learn how much extra I pay just to live in this state. I really had no idea until a few years ago that the cost of living is so much higher here. If I'd known I'm not sure what our life would be like now.

I obtained my first Masters degree in elementary education in 2004. I received a job offer in NC on my answering machine in response to a resume I had posted online. Yet we were scared to leave the state and my husband had just started his first professional job in Syracuse. Everyone told us that it cost a lot more to live down there and we would never make it. So we turned it down. I regret that decision every day. Even more, I regret not taking a $5000 signing bonus and giving Hawaii a try. But I'm sure my parents would have tackled us before we made it on the airplane with their grandaughter.
That's too bad. Negative Nelly's in NY who are AFRAID to leave will always tell you "Oh it's expensive in NC." "You won't like it there." Misery loves company. Stagnant people who seem to complain at the umpteen thousand local bars across Upstate NY are those who have never traveled or experienced life in the Sun Belt. In AZ, everyone almost came here from somewhere else. People who come here want to be here except for those who couldn't afford the So Cal beach communities.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM

/\

It's a NY thing and I would hear it downstate also. My sister and I were emptying out our moms house and while stopping at a local store 2 of the sales giirls were just complaining non-stop about whatever. My sister asked why don't you just move out of here, they hemmed an hawed and said they probally wouldn't. Thats it in a nut shell everyone complains but when it comes down to it their not going to leave. This was in one of the NYC suburbs not the boonies.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Saratoga County has the lowest taxes in NY. Saratoga County is the fastest growing county in Upstate NY. If that's not a correlation, I don't know what is.

Saratoga County

Other correlations: its the wealthiest county Upstate and I might add, probably one of the most liveable.

New York locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taxes matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York