Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Folks, the anti-fracking people are not anti-fracking because they fear the process and its impact on the environment. They are against fracking because they are earth worshipers, and natural gas competes with their fantasy of the United States having 100% of its electrical generation coming from renewable energy. Because natural gas is a cheap and abundant competitor, they must kill it.

You can look it up. There are organizations called something like 2030 Carbon Free, which actually think that wind, solar, hydro and whatever else they are dreaming of can power the American economy, including enough power to charge batteries in 150 million electric cars.

With respect to New York State, I can understand why there are concerns in wine country. But the area between Route 17 and the Pennsylvania border, has no tourism, no wineries, no lakes, and very few people. There is absolutely no reason why fracking should not commence in Broome, Tioga and Steuben counties tomorrow.
Step away from the hyperbole and take this into consideration:
How would New York deal with hydrofracking wastewater? | News from North Country Public Radio

Once screw up and the most important resource we actually need to live is gone -- water. I'm not a treehugger, but I do enjoy a clean glass of water. What happens further down the road when aquifers are compromised and potable water has to be trucked in?

Then there's this statement from the article:

Quote:
Brian Rahm of Cornell's Water Research Institute says... that the most important thing isn't whether or not wastewater can be treated. It's whether the Department of Environmental Conservation can enforce the rules they've spent the last five years creating.
If the DEC can't adequately enforce the rules it has put into place, what reassurances do we have that the drilling companies will abide by them on the honor system? And if they don't follow the laws, who will be paying for the clean up? Eveyone in NYS -- including those who won't benefit from fracking -- or just the fraacking areas which have benefited from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:18 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
What about Delaware county? Is that in the fracking area or too close to the Catskills? and if Oneonta is included, why not Cooperstown? Are they going to just end up avoiding gentrified, touristy areas? I mean, I'm all for avoiding the Finger Lakes for the reasons I have stated, but is that fair to residents of other areas who may not want fracking but don't have strong lobbies to try and protect them?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
What about Delaware county? Is that in the fracking area or too close to the Catskills? and if Oneonta is included, why not Cooperstown? Are they going to just end up avoiding gentrified, touristy areas? I mean, I'm all for avoiding the Finger Lakes for the reasons I have stated, but is that fair to residents of other areas who may not want fracking but don't have strong lobbies to try and protect them?
There's a small area surrounding the Catskills to protect it where things like fracking would never be allowed. It does not include whole counties though. It's so many feet/yards. Oneonta isn't included in the Catskills watershed protection area.

If residents don't want fracking, they NEED to stand up and say something! No one is going to do it for them. Go to town meetings. Contact your politicians and let them know what you don't want. Don't count on a lobby to do a damn thing for you. They're not out there to protect you. That's your job!

Old 12-17-2013, 11:43 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,590 times
Broome county has a history of industries contaminating water and housing and then pulling out. People are a little bit leery of promises made before the fact. Of course, there are only 345,000 people living in the 3 mentioned sparsely populated southern tier counties, not enough people to cause concern like Syracuse or NYC.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:04 AM

93,376 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
Broome county has a history of industries contaminating water and housing and then pulling out. People are a little bit leery of promises made before the fact. Of course, there are only 345,000 people living in the 3 mentioned sparsely populated southern tier counties, not enough people to cause concern like Syracuse or NYC.
Very true. Think of The Plume in Endicott for an example. For those that don't know and while it is in a part of the village, most of it is fine: Life In The Plume: IBM's Pollution Haunts a Village | syracuse.com

Here's another new article: Fracking chemicals can disrupt hormones | Innovation Trail

I also want to say that I'm actually torn in terms of the subject and can see both sides in terms of concerns and jobs opportunities.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 PM

38 posts, read 81,934 times
Quote:
I live in northwestern Ulster County and our Town Supervisor, as well as many in the Ulster County area, have lobbied the governor many times and continue to speak up against fracking. Unfortunately, the Oneonta area (which is northwest of me) seems more likely to allow it. I've been reading the Daily Star and I own a beautiful piece of lakefront property On East Sidney Lake. I am not a full-time resident of that area, but I know of folks who are very opposed to fracking, as I am, also. The documentary "Gasland" is a great eye-opener for those not well informed.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Folks, the anti-fracking people are not anti-fracking because they fear the process and its impact on the environment. They are against fracking because they are earth worshipers, and natural gas competes with their fantasy of the United States having 100% of its electrical generation coming from renewable energy. Because natural gas is a cheap and abundant competitor, they must kill it.

You can look it up. There are organizations called something like 2030 Carbon Free, which actually think that wind, solar, hydro and whatever else they are dreaming of can power the American economy, including enough power to charge batteries in 150 million electric cars.
I'm anti-fracking and I don't worship the earth. As a human being, I have a simple need for clean water and clean air. Without those two things, we all die.

I also don't believe electric cars are much of a help. What do you do with the batteries when the cars are old? They're a hazardous waste and you can't just stick them in the compost bin or closest trash can. The batteries create a massive, complex issue.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I think if the conversation was just confined to the Southern Tier there wouldn't be such an outcry. But central NY keeps creeping into the conversation and that makes people nervous. And rightly so, I might add. Perhaps there's nothing to it, and it's just the media looking for sensational, hot-button topics. Or maybe there are some plans, like what's being proposed around Seneca lake.

The entire Finger Lakes region should be off-limits because of watershed/water supply issues. Legislators in Albany need to step up, and do the right thing, and make a provision that no fracking or related acitivites go on in this area. The lakes are just too important, not only to tourism, but because they are so unique, and a natural wonder that should be protected like a state park (Adirondaks). But I guess I'm just biased!
I'm with you! There is no where else in the world with anything like the Finger Lakes.

Problem is water doesn't stand still. It moves all over so it may be fine in one area and 20 feet away it can be contaminated. Then that crap spreads and spreads. It creates a nightmare. Look at all the sites where the state gave permits to dump PCB's decades ago. Those sites are either now being cleaned up or are in lawsuits to be cleaned up. I grew up on the Hudson River and that thing is disgustingly filthy.

Skaneateles Lake is protected because it's the drinking water for Syracuse. I imagine Hemlock Lake and Canadice Lake are protected because they're Rochester's water.

What's being proposed around Seneca Lake? I haven't read anything and now you've got me curious. I live less than a mile the way the crow or seagull flies from the lake!

Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Some States Confirm Water Pollution From Drilling - ABC News

Contaminated well water...did we really expect anything different? Do we trade safe, clean drinking water for energy?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Some States Confirm Water Pollution From Drilling - ABC News

Contaminated well water...did we really expect anything different? Do we trade safe, clean drinking water for energy?
Me? No. I grew up with a well. I took geology courses in college. I know how water moves. I even passed high school biology so I know that human beings can't exist without clean water. Neither can anything else like plants and animals we eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York