Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 AM

2 posts, read 10,616 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm new to this board as you can tell. I'm supposed to be moving to Cairo, NY with my family within the next few months. I really don't want to but I have no choice. I'm moving from NYC (Queens to be exact). I've been reading up a little bit on Cairo online so I think I know most of what I need to know. A couple of things that I havnt found any information about... does anyone know the radio stations that play in Cairo? There were quite a bit of radio shows that I listen to here in NYC (mostly talk radio) and I want to know if I will still be able to listen to them. I somehow doubt it but it's worth a shot to ask. If I cant get a couple of radio stations when I move to Cairo, is there someway i can put up some kind of antenna and be able to pick up those stations being that we are not real far from where the shows are transmitting from? I'm just asking because I would hate to not be able to hear my shows and I even checked to see if I can hear the shows online but I cant.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,494 times
Most radio stations now simulcast on the internet or offer podcast downloads of their shows. If you are able to get high-speed internet, and if you are locating in the town of Cairo you probably can, you should be able to find the shows you like.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 AM

136 posts, read 778,445 times
From Cairo, you can probably get WGY from Schenectady (I know you can definitely get WGY from the Catskill area on route 23) . They seem to have talk shows all day long.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 10,616 times
Yeah, I looked on their websites and only 1 of the shows broadcasts online and they dont have podcasts.

So I guess the antenna thing is not possible, huh?

Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM

237 posts, read 757,188 times
Hopefully you'll be busy enough here every day that it won't matter if you can get the stations or not. Just in case, what specific ones are you looking for? I may be able to fill in the blanks for you.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,673 times
Default Wabc

I used to listen to 770 WABC from Cairo, although i don't live there anymore and am not into what you can receive.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,043 times
Default moving to Cairo

By now I hope you have adjusted to life in a small town. Someday you will treasure the experience, and may even want to bring up your own children there. I raised my two sons in Cairo, and it was the best place to grow up. We all look back and consider Cairo our home, 30 years later!
It'll grow on you....don't fight it.
Laurie

Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 23,523 times
It sounds like you are making a very big adjustment. I will be honest with you the radio stations around here and the reception is rather poor. I used to really like our one local station The Cat until they changed it all over to lite fm music and I now I hate it. I do not know anything about antennas for radio stations but maybe you could ask at radio shack or best buy and they could help. Satellite radio is alright out here, its fuzzes out in a few small places but thats it. In anycase, I wish you the best of luck. I know I wouldn't want to move from the country to the city and the other way around must be just as daunting. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York