Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,669 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Orange County from NJ in the next year or so. My job would be located in Rock Hill. I have children and want to move into a town that has a good school system, and very nice homes. Does anyone have any suggestions? I briefly looked at Scotchtown (on google maps) and it looked like there were nice developments in that area. I drove through Cental Valley, and loved the "greens of Woodbury." But this, I think, would be too far of a hike to Rock Hill. I was wondering if a place that looks similar to Central Valley exists closer to Middletown or Scotchtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML8855 View Post
I may be moving to Orange County from NJ in the next year or so. My job would be located in Rock Hill. I have children and want to move into a town that has a good school system, and very nice homes. Does anyone have any suggestions? I briefly looked at Scotchtown (on google maps) and it looked like there were nice developments in that area. I drove through Cental Valley, and loved the "greens of Woodbury." But this, I think, would be too far of a hike to Rock Hill. I was wondering if a place that looks similar to Central Valley exists closer to Middletown or Scotchtown.
Hey ML8855,

The Greens at Woodbury, is amazing. I love that subdivision, and the interiors (of the one's that I've seen) are even better than the outside. But you are correct it is a hike up to Rock Hill from there.

As for other options...you can check out Goshen, it's gorgeous and they have a new subdivision going in behind the Government buildings there (the name of the subdivision escapes my mind right now but I'm sure someone else will pipe in with the name of it). Nice homes. There's also a lot of new construction going on in the outlying areas also. Goshen is exit 125 or 124 off 17.

Middletown/Scotchtown area is nice, but you probably are going to want to be in the Pine Bush School District.

Give me a little more detail as to what you are really looking for, such as type of home, type of community, or even price range you are looking to be in and I can give you some better suggestions. Although if you liked Central Valley, you'll definitely like Goshen and it's probably about 15 minutes closer to Rock Hill then the Central Valley area.

Talk to you soon and happy hunting!!!

~Joey

Old 11-23-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,669 times
Thanks Joey!

I am looking for an exact (or something like) the Greens at Woodbury" in Goshen. I drove around Goshen today, actually, and had a hard time finding homes that look similar to Central Valley. I'm looking for homes that have a stuco exterior and are fairly new. The greens at Woodberry would be a perfect representation of what i am looking for in Goshen. But I couldn't find an area like that. I think I was just looking in all the wrong places.

You're not the first one to mention that goshen is beautiful. I just seem to drive around a ton of farm land, filled with horses and all. What I'm really looking for are nice developments, where the houses are a little closer together, rather than seperated by 5 acres of farm land.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 AM

6 posts, read 23,868 times
Goshen, Montgomery, and Pine Bush might all give you the feel you are looking for in a home and relocation and a reasonable proximity to Rock Hill. There are also some areas of Middletown that might work too. If you would like to know more about the area let me know. I have lived here my whole life and love it!

Old 06-21-2008, 05:35 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,360 times
Montgomery has great schools, and it is an easy commute up route 17K, and then onto Rt. 17. There is a Rock Hill exit off of Route 17. You may have the Wurtsboro Hill and maybe another mountain to contend with, however. Mother nature can be cranky in NY in the wintertime.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 AM

33 posts, read 189,610 times
I live in Goshen and love it! The development someone was referring to is called Harness Estates. It is in the Village of Goshen. I live in the village too. OP, if all you saw was farms when you drove around Goshen, then you were in the town and didn't come to the village. Harness estate homes are close together, with little property but they are very nice. No stucco look though, really that is hard to find up here in Goshen. Rockland County new homes are more that style. Up here in Goshen, we love the farm house or victorian house styles so that is usually what you see in new construction. There is a beautiful development in Goshen, not far from the village called Remington Ridge. The views from it are amazing, but you get more property, 1-3 acres. They have a lot of home styles, so you might find the style you are looking for. Harness Estates is building a new section in the development of million dollar homes and you might find a style you like. I haven't seen the plans yet. Let me know if you need directions if you want to take a look at Harness Estates, they are easy to find and I do believe they have a website. There is a small development next to Scotchtown Elementry in the village of Goshen that might be worth looking into. There is another one too and I can't think of the name, but it is not too far from the school. Do a search on ghvmls.com and you can search by school district for the area homes. One thing I do have to warn you about. Goshen is known for our high taxes. They were just raised too. For example, my home was built in the 30's, 1700 sqft 3bed, 1 & a half bath on .25 of an acre and I pay $6600 in taxes and that is with the star program. Most new construction homes taxes start at $10-$12,000.

Personally, if schools are a big factor, stick with Goshen. I'm not only saying that because I live here. It is from the extensive research, scouting the schools and talking and knowing people in lots of different areas of the county. I have lived here for 5 years and have a 10 year old in the school and really amd very happy with them.

Let me know if you need any help or have any questions! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York