Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times

Advertisements

They probably live in the NYC Metro.

Most people I know who move from Western NY end up moving back when they realize the South isn't any cheaper and the QOL is worse.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
They probably live in the NYC Metro.

Most people I know who move from Western NY end up moving back when they realize the South isn't any cheaper and the QOL is worse.
It's not just upstate, I know at least a dozen people who moved from Long Island to Florida or North Carolina and ended up moving back to LI once they realized the grass wasent greener down South. Alot of people don't seem to grasp that while the property taxes might be lower the quality of life is not much better, if not worse.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It's not just upstate, I know at least a dozen people who moved from Long Island to Florida or North Carolina and ended up moving back to LI once they realized the grass wasent greener down South.
They people who move tend to get fed up with petty things like politics... then realize that New York isn't such a bad place outside of the winters. Our schools are funded.. we have no shortage of parks, beautiful geography, livable wages, a world class city (and smaller, still productive cities like Buffalo / Rochester), and an extensive public college system not seen anywhere else in the country. Such a horrible place to live!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
It's not just upstate, I know at least a dozen people who moved from Long Island to Florida or North Carolina and ended up moving back to LI once they realized the grass wasent greener down South. Alot of people don't seem to grasp that while the property taxes might be lower the quality of life is not much better, if not worse.
Then they either moved to the wrong area or were already making well above average money in Long Island.

10 go South and never come back for every one that comes back. Those are the ones you hear about because its counter-intuitive. People love stories like that.

If you're making $50k on Long Island, and $50k in NC, unless you really did absolutely no research, you can't possibly have a better life on Long Island. If you make $100k on Long Island and make $50k in NC, then obviously, that's a different situation.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
They people who move tend to get fed up with petty things like politics... then realize that New York isn't such a bad place outside of the winters. Our schools are funded.. we have no shortage of parks, beautiful geography, livable wages, a world class city (and smaller, still productive cities like Buffalo / Rochester), and an extensive public college system not seen anywhere else in the country. Such a horrible place to live!
1. Winters matter to many people
2. Other school systems are funded too. Your schools are funded by astronomical property taxes, so it doesn't come out of thin air. Some people don't care about schools.
3. Other states have parks, beautiful geography, and great cities as well. I never got this argument.
4. Ever hear about California's public colleges?
5. Typical arrogance from NYers, no place else has anything. Buffalo and Rochester?!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM

93,374 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Do you think another aspect could be that many move to a facsimile of where they left and that the pros and cons are just different? I can get those that are retired moving away, but I wonder if the people that you know that have moved back are those that are younger or a mix.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
1. Winters matter to many people
Grow a pair or move. As much as people complain about weather, it rarely comes up as a serious reason for relocation. Good jobs trump weather 100% of the time. NY Weather is actually very good 6 months out of the year. Outside of California, you will seldom find more comfortable weather from May to October. That is why so many New Yorkers are snowbirds and own second homes. May to October is atrocious in every location that has a "nice" November to April.

Quote:
2. Other school systems are funded too. Your schools are funded by astronomical property taxes, so it doesn't come out of thin air. Some people don't care about schools.
They don't fit in here. If you don't value education, why are you living in a state that values education?

Quote:
3. Other states have parks, beautiful geography, and great cities as well. I never got this argument.
We know this. New York just has it all. Mountains, beaches, forests, farms, wine country, ski country, small towns, small cities, medium cities, world class city, and an international border with two distinct provinces. Believe it or not, most states actually do not have all that I have listed.

Quote:
4. Ever hear about California's public colleges?
You advocate people moving to California? I love California... but it is far more expensive than New York. The West Coast is also far removed from most people's descendants on the East Coast. That is why Florida is such a popular preference to Arizona.

Quote:
5. Typical arrogance from NYers, no place else has anything. Buffalo and Rochester?!
I didn't say that. I said it is hard to find a state that has everything available to New Yorkers. Not everyone needs everything... but the options are there. New Yorkers have a good quality of life. The grass is not greener on the other side.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Grow a pair or move. As much as people complain about weather, it rarely comes up as a serious reason for relocation. Good jobs trump weather 100% of the time. NY Weather is actually very good 6 months out of the year. Outside of California, you will seldom find more comfortable weather from May to October. That is why so many New Yorkers are snowbirds and own second homes. May to October is atrocious in every location that has a "nice" November to April.

That's your opinion. I don't share it.

They don't fit in here. If you don't value education, why are you living in a state that values education?

I don't live in NY. Who said anything about not valuing education?

We know this. New York just has it all. Mountains, beaches, forests, farms, wine countries, small towns, small cities, medium cities, world class city, and an international border. Believe it or not, most states actually do not have all that I have listed.

Some have 12,000' peaks, some have a 1,000 mile mostly undeveloped coast, some have amazing desert landscapes. What's your point?

You advocate people moving to California? I love California... but it is far more expensive than New York.

I'm not advocating anything. Many parts of California are cheaper than Long Island.

I didn't say that. I said it is hard to find a state that has everything available to New Yorkers. Not everyone needs everything... but the options are there. New Yorkers have a good quality of life. The grass is not greener on the other side.
So, you find the state that fits your needs. Some states have much less of the negative qualities that NY has. Hence the domestic migration out of NY. Are all those people wrong?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
So, you find the state that fits your needs. Some states have much less of the negative qualities that NY has. Hence the domestic migration out of NY. Are all those people wrong?
You are the one preaching the doom and gloom about New York. Feel free to list the laundry list of negatives.

Those polls are all garbage. Sure, people will always want to live somewhere else. Somewhere tropical, with perfect weather blah blah blah. Good luck raising a family in your "ideal" tropical paradise.

The Domestic Migration out of NY is almost entirely Florida and Arizona.. yet you keep bringing it up. Why do you think people move from New York to Florida or Arizona? Do you need a hint???!

My weather statement stands. It is fun to construct your ideal climate. In reality, people do not move for weather outside of retirement.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I think you have me confused with someone else. I didn't start this thread nor have I contributed much to it. Perhaps you should read who is posting about Arizona and Florida because I live in neither nor have any plans to.

Hooked on Phonics has worked for countless many. Give it a try. Id say that you should share the cost of it with rubygreta, but I think that money would come from the same bank account.
You have been bringing down New York threads for a while now. All my points stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York