Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NY Cities: Which Is Your Favorite?
New York City 13 37.14%
Buffalo 4 11.43%
Rochester 10 28.57%
Yonkers 1 2.86%
Syracuse 3 8.57%
Albany 3 8.57%
White Plains 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:53 PM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I'm only familiar w/NYC and Buffalo.

I pick NYC simply b/c there's such a huge variety of neighborhoods to pick from; since it's at least 10x bigger than all of the other cities combined. The cost of living is the biggest turnoff, i'd be damned if I let myself get scammed into paying $1,500/mo for a roach, rat, bedbug and hoodrat infested crammed up studio/closet.

I didn't like Buffalo. On most days, the downtown was dead and dreary. At least 60% of the city looks tore up beyond repair. One thing I did like about it was that I can't remember any traffic jams...likely b/c the infrastructure was built for much more ppl than it has now. I did like Amherst though it was still nothin to write home about.

I've only driven through White Plains and Syracuse and they did look appealing since they had the kind of density that I like the best. But I did read that Syracuse has a higher poverty rate than both Buffalo and Rochester, which is scary even thinking of.
I don't know if that is true about Syracuse and it does have a college town area of the city. Considering that off campus college students are counted into the poverty percentage, if that is the case in terms of poverty rate, that aspect plays a part in that. Syracuse has a lower crime rate than those two cities as well and this goes for the metro level as well. Albany has the lowest crime rate out of the 4 major metro center cities.

Also, keep in mind when comparing cities in terms of poverty rate, remember that city limits are fixed here and have been for a longer time in comparidon to cities in other regions. You have many cities in other parts of the country that annex unincorporated land and some even cross multiple counties. It would be like cities up here adding 1st and 2nd ring suburbs in terms of some comparisons.

Buffalo does have its share of fine urban areas and it has a pretty good nightlife scene, which is located within particular neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 09:12 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,846 times
No votes for Syracuse yet.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:10 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
I love NYC, but for upstate I'd have to say Rochester, hands down. The area has had consistent growth in both jobs and population for years, the largest artistic community and many vibrant, walkable communities within the city proper. It has a large knowledge based economy and while not as well known nationally, is more of an internationally known city than the others.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:51 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,846 times
I'm suprised NY doesn't have a huge margin over the other cities.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:15 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
I don't know how many of the NYC folks enter the general forum.

I voted NYC cause its just THE CITY.

Broken down to Upstate I would have voted Buffalo.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:17 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Albany I guess because I hate cities and Albany is the least city to me and near the nicest NY state areas. I generally like all the Thruway cities even with their problems but prob Rochester the best. Roc has the best suburbs too.

NYC is the last place in NY that I'd live. I appreciate the history there but its just overwhelming to live there day to day. Visit during Christmas, no problem. Nothing beats NYC at Christmas time. Live and work though no way in hell.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if that is true about Syracuse and it does have a college town area of the city. Considering that off campus college students are counted into the poverty percentage, if that is the case in terms of poverty rate, that aspect plays a part in that. Syracuse has a lower crime rate than those two cities as well and this goes for the metro level as well. Albany has the lowest crime rate out of the 4 major metro center cities.

Also, keep in mind when comparing cities in terms of poverty rate, remember that city limits are fixed here and have been for a longer time in comparidon to cities in other regions. You have many cities in other parts of the country that annex unincorporated land and some even cross multiple counties. It would be like cities up here adding 1st and 2nd ring suburbs in terms of some comparisons.

Buffalo does have its share of fine urban areas and it has a pretty good nightlife scene, which is located within particular neighborhoods.
For the exception of Allentown, there really isn't all that much nightlife.... well unless you include drunk 18 yr old college students getting drunk; and vomiting/pissing on sidewalks in University Heights.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
For the exception of Allentown, there really isn't all that much nightlife.... well unless you include drunk 18 yr old college students getting drunk; and vomiting/pissing on sidewalks in University Heights.
There's Elmwood Village, Chippewa Street and Hertel Ave as well.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:31 AM

466 posts, read 982,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There's Elmwood Village, Chippewa Street and Hertel Ave as well.
Well the drunk 18 year olds is certainly Chippewa (if not younger). I like a few bars on Elmwood, but for the most part, Buffalo's nightlife is nothing to write home about. 4am last call was cool when I was in college, but doesn't much apply anymore.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Well the drunk 18 year olds is certainly Chippewa (if not younger). I like a few bars on Elmwood, but for the most part, Buffalo's nightlife is nothing to write home about. 4am last call was cool when I was in college, but doesn't much apply anymore.
I hear you, but I thought it was interesting that only those 2 areas were mentioned in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York