Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:24 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times

Advertisements

VintageSunlight:
Based on what you're telling me, I think Denver would probably be better suited to your needs or maybe other parts of Colorado. I had relatives that lived in Ft Collins then Colorado Springs and loved it. They do get snow but according to them it wasn't nearly as bad as the northeast? I never got to visit them though, my aunt and uncle died before we ever got a chance to visit. They too were originally from New York. Arizona would not suit you politically and it may not be as green as you would like. When my mother came out to visit from New York she felt it was too brown for her tastes even though we are in central Arizona among the pines. My wife and I both love the desert and the generally brown landscape does not bother us. I think I probably told you in a previous post that if it weren't for the relentless summer heat we would probably live there. If you don't mind the desert New Mexico would be a better fit for you politically. However it is definitely more impoverished than Arizona and in my opinion not as scenic. If you choose New Mexico, Taos or Santa Fe would probably be the best bet for you, both green and politically. Especially Santa Fe. I wouldn't recommend Albuquerque, too much crime and brown, although the Sandia Mountains are very beautiful. I've only been in central/northern New Mexico the southern part from what I have heard is definitely more barren. What we did was pick out several locations throughout Arizona where we thought that we would like to live. We subscribed to the local newspapers in those areas, along with contacting realtors for relocation packages. Then made several trips out here meeting with those realtors and checking out those locations and what type of neighborhoods we could afford. They will be glad to take you around. I suggest you do the same and spend a lot of time on the internet doing a lot of research. I say that politics are important because if you live where you are in the minority politically I do not see how one can be happy no matter which side you are on. One of the main reasons why I left New York. Whatever you choose I sincerely wish you the best of luck. It seems that you are on the right track you've just got to find a place and go there.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 11-17-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
VintageSunlight:
Based on what you're telling me, I think Denver would probably be better suited to your needs or maybe other parts of Colorado. I had relatives that lived in Ft Collins then Colorado Springs and loved it. They do get snow but according to them it wasn't nearly as bad as the northeast? I never got to visit them though, my aunt and uncle died before we ever got a chance to visit. They too were originally from New York. Arizona would not suit you politically and it may not be as green as you would like. When my mother came out to visit from New York she felt it was too brown for her tastes even though we are in central Arizona among the pines. My wife and I both love the desert and the generally brown landscape does not bother us. I think I probably told you in a previous post that if it weren't for the relentless summer heat we would probably live there. If you don't mind the desert New Mexico would be a better fit for you politically. However it is definitely more impoverished than Arizona and in my opinion not as scenic. If you choose New Mexico, Taos or Santa Fe would probably be the best bet for you, both green and politically. Especially Santa Fe. I wouldn't recommend Albuquerque, too much crime and brown, although the Sandia Mountains are very beautiful. I've only been in central/northern New Mexico the southern part from what I have heard is definitely more barren. What we did was pick out several locations throughout Arizona where we thought that we would like to live. We subscribed to the local newspapers in those areas, along with contacting realtors for relocation packages. Then made several trips out here meeting with those realtors and checking out those locations and what type of neighborhoods we could afford. They will be glad to take you around. I suggest you do the same and spend a lot of time on the internet doing a lot of research. I say that politics are important because if you live where you are in the minority politically I do not see how one can be happy no matter which side you are on. One of the main reasons why I left New York. Whatever you choose I sincerely wish you the best of luck. It seems that you are on the right track you've just got to find a place and go there.
Yeah, I do so much internet research that eventually it takes you in circles. My fiancee is from the West and she's dying to get back there. She is miserable here. I kinda am too these days. What was 60's and sunny is now in the 15-20* morning lows and cloudy. Then it warms up to a nice 33* rain that I have to stand in all day at work. Gosh I really hate winter!

November around these parts was always 50's during the day and 30's at night, sometimes 40's. Past two winters is half that.

She tells me tales of how laid back people are, how there's much less rat race, how traffic doesn't exist (compared to here anyway), and people are humble. Getting flipped off here or having a car speed up just to not let you into traffic is an everyday experience here. It actually makes me sad and depressed. It took 10 years to widen the NJ Turnpike and a huge toll increase. They built the Triangle Expressway in NC in 2 years, and its toll free over most of its length. I'm so tired of hearing how are they ever going to have enough money to rebuild the Tappan Zee, when they charge $15 to cross it?! How is that even possible? A $15 bridge crossing to the busiest city in the world and there's no money?!

Because of all of this and so much more, I'm beginning to think the NYC metro is the worst place to live in the US if you want a happy life.

I will definitely look more into Santa Fe. But I think one of the Front Range cities is going to work best for us too. Though its cold in Denver, at least its always sunny. I think we are discussing a 2 year plan to get there.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:55 PM

VintageSunlight:
You're reminding me of how bad it was out there. Since your fiancee is from out west you might want to consider where she's originally from. I initially had a hard time getting my wife to want to move otherwise we would have been out here sooner, now she would never go back not even to visit. You've got half the battle won. Your fiancee is correct in her assessment of the lifestyle out here. I think that part of that is due to the fact that many people that move out here are from somewhere else and want to be out here. Then discover what they've been missing all along and are relieved to have that burden lifted off of their shoulders. You do occasionally get people that are aggressive behind the wheel, there is no escaping that no matter where you go. At least out here there's not as much of it. Maybe it's because people are not as uptight and in a hurry. I've been on the NJTP and LIE more than once, 15 minutes of it is a grueling experience. Imagine that and I once went to truck driving school, learning to drive tractor trailers. Bad enough in car let alone in a semi. After 20 weeks of that, truck driving was not going to be my career. Forget about driving a nice new shiny Peterbilt or Kenworth.

The internet research won't be so bad once you've settled on a state and location, you can then focus your attention there. You'll learn a lot. I've never been to Denver, only in the southeastern part Colorado. I'm guessing it is similar to Flagstaff which is also cold and it's not unusual to get a couple of heavy snowstorms per season. At least that is what I've been told by people who've spent some time in both places. However it is nothing like the northeast because of the relatively low humidity, and the snowstorm's are not as frequent. Santa Fe has a milder climate and is located in a beautiful part of New Mexico. We were in Lamy which is about a half hour south of there. I think you'd like that area. It's worth checking out.

The TZB? I used to live south of there, my wife and I both grew up in Irvington then moved north to Peekskill. Not that great but it was the only place where we could afford a house. I don't know how people are going to do it with $15 dollar tolls, I imagine the Bear Mountain Bridge will see an increase in traffic, then they'll have to rebuild that one? I read that commuter passes will be around $8.50 per day, still that's $42.50 a week just to get to work not including gas and the cost of owning a vehicle.

Indeed the New York metro area is among the worst places to live in the country including Chicago and LA. Knowing what I know now no job or amount of money is worth living there.

A 2 year plan is an ample amount of time to achieve your goals. Plan on visiting your chosen destinations as often as possible during the different seasons. We made all of our trips by rail (6) never flown, it does cost more but you get to see a lot of the country and meet people from all walks of life, for us it was a rewarding experience. Good luck and have some fun!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 11-19-2014 at 06:04 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 07:10 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,593 times
Another option may be Buffalo. A guy on this board goes on and on about how they rarely get snow and even when they do it's no big deal and the roads never close.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
VintageSunlight:
You're reminding me of how bad it was out there. Since your fiancee is from out west you might want to consider where she's originally from. I initially had a hard time getting my wife to want to move otherwise we would have been out here sooner, now she would never go back not even to visit. You've got half the battle won. Your fiancee is correct in her assessment of the lifestyle out here. I think that part of that is due to the fact that many people that move out here are from somewhere else and want to be out here. Then discover what they've been missing all along and are relieved to have that burden lifted off of their shoulders. You do occasionally get people that are aggressive behind the wheel, there is no escaping that no matter where you go. At least out here there's not as much of it. Maybe it's because people are not as uptight and in a hurry. I've been on the NJTP and LIE more than once, 15 minutes of it is a grueling experience. Imagine that and I once went to truck driving school, learning to drive tractor trailers. Bad enough in car let alone in a semi. After 20 weeks of that, truck driving was not going to be my career. Forget about driving a nice new shiny Peterbilt or Kenworth.

The internet research won't be so bad once you've settled on a state and location, you can then focus your attention there. You'll learn a lot. I've never been to Denver, only in the southeastern part Colorado. I'm guessing it is similar to Flagstaff which is also cold and it's not unusual to get a couple of heavy snowstorms per season. At least that is what I've been told by people who've spent some time in both places. However it is nothing like the northeast because of the relatively low humidity, and the snowstorm's are not as frequent. Santa Fe has a milder climate and is located in a beautiful part of New Mexico. We were in Lamy which is about a half hour south of there. I think you'd like that area. It's worth checking out.

The TZB? I used to live south of there, my wife and I both grew up in Irvington then moved north to Peekskill. Not that great but it was the only place where we could afford a house. I don't know how people are going to do it with $15 dollar tolls, I imagine the Bear Mountain Bridge will see an increase in traffic, then they'll have to rebuild that one? I read that commuter passes will be around $8.50 per day, still that's $42.50 a week just to get to work not including gas and the cost of owning a vehicle.

Indeed the New York metro area is among the worst places to live in the country including Chicago and LA. Knowing what I know now no job or amount of money is worth living there.

A 2 year plan is an ample amount of time to achieve your goals. Plan on visiting your chosen destinations as often as possible during the different seasons. We made all of our trips by rail (6) never flown, it does cost more but you get to see a lot of the country and meet people from all walks of life, for us it was a rewarding experience. Good luck and have some fun!
Her family is spread out all over the West, but the better places that they are (San Francisco, San Jose) are just too expensive. Plus, we both decided they're not for us. Although we are both liberal, neither of us are too crazy about how left wing and fanatical these areas are.

The TZB, another complicated toll process. Like most things in NY, you have commuter pricing, off-peak pricing, peak pricing, etc. Nothing is simple. Go through the toll too fast and get a ticket. Plus there are tolls along the Thruway, along the NJTP, Garden State, etc. Then fees to park. At the end of the day, you might pay an easy $25 to get to work that day. LA might be bad, but its all free!

I like NJ beaches, the overall feel of NJ boardwalks and the Shore, and New England seacoast villages and beaches. Its just not enough to keep us here.

Thanks for all your help. You're a cool dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Another option may be Buffalo. A guy on this board goes on and on about how they rarely get snow and even when they do it's no big deal and the roads never close.
It took me a little while but I finally learned to ignore what certain people say here. You can tell who has an agenda and who doesn't. They're selling "snow is no big deal here" and "crime is non-existent" and "NY is cheap" and I've learned to listen to what I know to be true and ignore the rest!

Old 11-20-2014, 10:04 AM

VintageSunlight:
Quote:
Thanks for all your help. You're a cool dude.
Your quite welcome! Glad I could be of some help. We both share the same experience in preparing to move. Only my wife and I already did it and couldn't be any happier. If the water and beaches are your thing you might want to consider the Carolina's or Georgia. Can't help you out with those I've never been there, the Southwest has always been our thing, we were destined to be here. You might not like the idea of being "landlocked". I wouldn't rule out the southern coastal states, after all you're making a big move and it is important that you choose wisely, you may not be able to do it again. Many from the Northeast have chosen to move there for the reasons that you have stated regarding the coast. The Pacific Northwest gets too much rain but the winters aren't too bad, I have a cousin that lived in both Oregon and Washington. You've got 2 years to decide and it's a great big country that has a place for just about everyone. Again, I wish you the best of luck!

Old 11-20-2014, 12:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
There may have been truth to the statement.

Where I live (North Buffalo) got just 5" of snow.

There is considerable variation in snow across the Buffalo-Niagara Metro. Niagara county gets less than half the snow on average than South of the city.

But go ahead and pretend that you know more about what happens here than people who live here. I'm at work today and the local surface streets are not closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York