Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:20 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
No, I don't think it's the same weather. The northeast has about one month of hot and humid, and down here there are almost four months of it.
As long as I can keep my hair looking good, I don't care.
well that makes sense. Right, all I was saying .. Longer duration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 02:48 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Oh stop it. You don't have to take my word for it. The National Weather Service has stated this was a record cold winter, and February is officially the coldest month ever on record. It's not a normal winter by any stretch of the imagination. The average high in January and February is in the 30's...not the teens like this year. And of course it gets cold in Rochester. I don't ever recall stating once that it doesn't. But like I said, the temperature you're implying is "pleasant" and they "look forward to" in Charlotte' in the 30's is actually the average temperature in Rochester in Jan/Feb. So again, I'm not implying anything is "mild" or "short". I'm stating facts. The snowy months in Rochester are late Nov-March. So on average, the snowy period is about 4 months. And the average temperature is in the 30's Dec-Feb. So 3 months out of the year is when your average high is in the 30's. And look this up if you don't believe me. But the average high is above 60 just a tad under 7 months of the year. So that leaves the other two months having average highs in the 40's. These are facts. Not emotional opinions.

Also, why are you comparing 85 to 90? The average high is 81 in Rochester in July. 81 is pleasant in the summer. 90 and above is freakn' hot. Charlotte averages about 35 days over 90 in the summer and Charleston about 55. Rochester averages about 5.

Also while I don't deny that Rochester has a lot of cloudy days, if you want to get technical here, Charlotte has 109 days of fully sunny days. That doesn't sound like such a quite significant difference from 58 "dude".

https://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/hi...l/avgcldy.html
Umm, yeah, it's kinda a lot. Its almost twice as many sunny days

The average daily high from May 26th to September 16 (typical summer months) in Charlotte is 81:

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Look, its obvious that you have limited life experience and definitely limited experience down South. I honestly don't even know what your argument is. Are you arguing that its ALSO cold down South? To really argue that anywhere South of the VA/NC line is anywhere near as cold as Rochester just illustrates your lack of knowledge.

Here's another fact- while its CURRENTLY snowing and 27* in Rochester as I type this, its sunny and 70 in Charlotte. So, its twice as warm, its sunny, and you could wear a t-shirt and jeans today.

Today was bright sun and 40 here and I felt reborn. I felt alive again. Sunny and 40 felt downright tropical today.

Wednesday will be 73 in Charlotte and will be 34 and snowing in Rochester. Again, twice as warm. Rochester weather just sucks. Sorry DUDE

Old 03-02-2015, 03:08 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,671 times
Our high temp today was a sunny 76 degrees.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:14 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,798 times
Very cruel Minkey... j/k. It was sunny & in the 20s here and it actually felt warm & almost spring-like... walking outside truly was pleasant. That's what a month of subzeroes does to ya.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:22 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
Was brutal here. 6" of fresh snow waiting for me after work. High winds bright the temps near/below zero. Drifting put the snow blower to work with over three foot most places.

Like it or hate it enough is enough.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Umm, yeah, it's kinda a lot. Its almost twice as many sunny days

The average daily high from May 26th to September 16 (typical summer months) in Charlotte is 81:

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Look, its obvious that you have limited life experience and definitely limited experience down South. I honestly don't even know what your argument is. Are you arguing that its ALSO cold down South? To really argue that anywhere South of the VA/NC line is anywhere near as cold as Rochester just illustrates your lack of knowledge.

Here's another fact- while its CURRENTLY snowing and 27* in Rochester as I type this, its sunny and 70 in Charlotte. So, its twice as warm, its sunny, and you could wear a t-shirt and jeans today.

Today was bright sun and 40 here and I felt reborn. I felt alive again. Sunny and 40 felt downright tropical today.

Wednesday will be 73 in Charlotte and will be 34 and snowing in Rochester. Again, twice as warm. Rochester weather just sucks. Sorry DUDE
But wait a minute here. Nobody will argue that winters are nicer in North Carolina...nobody. However, if you are seriously going to argue that June , July and August are not brutal down there then you are mistaken. In fact Western NY has some of the most beautiful and desired weather during those months in the COUNTRY. And for the record I lived in Charlotte for 5 long , hot years..coming back north winter warts and all was well worth it.

Look its simple ...if you hate the cold and don't mind the heat...North Carolina is much more desired than Western NY or New England. If the heat just drains you...then you are better off dealing with a couple cold months...remember, this year was the coldest in HISTORY. Normally by now we are inching into the 40's and spring is close.

Edit: One other thing the average high for that period you stated in Charlotte is closer to 85..not 81. While for the same period up north in the 77 range...how did you get 81 from looking at that map? Its 81 at the beginning and end of the periods and almost 90 for 2 straight months in July and August...

Old 03-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Our high temp today was a sunny 76 degrees.
OMG you live in interior South Carolina..that is pure pain in summer...ouch. I remember during heat waves down there seeing 105 degrees plus on the map for Columbia like 2 weeks straight.. they said you could fry an egg on the pavement.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
But wait a minute here. Nobody will argue that winters are nicer in North Carolina...nobody. However, if you are seriously going to argue that June , July and August are not brutal down there then you are mistaken. In fact Western NY has some of the most beautiful and desired weather during those months in the COUNTRY. And for the record I lived in Charlotte for 5 long , hot years..coming back north winter warts and all was well worth it.

Look its simple ...if you hate the cold and don't mind the heat...North Carolina is much more desired than Western NY or New England. If the heat just drains you...then you are better off dealing with a couple cold months...remember, this year was the coldest in HISTORY. Normally by now we are inching into the 40's and spring is close.

Edit: One other thing the average high for that period you stated in Charlotte is closer to 85..not 81. While for the same period up north in the 77 range...how did you get 81 from looking at that map? Its 81 at the beginning and end of the periods and almost 90 for 2 straight months in July and August...
If it was 2 cold months, I'd be all for it. December and January are cold? I can handle that. But its not. 5-6 months realistically. It is what it is. No need to debate.

Re the last part: Its on the page that I posted. The avg daily high during the summer is 81, from basically Memorial Day to Labor Day. Same as the avg July high in Rochester. If you don't agree, take it up with them.

Western NY does have great summer weather.

I spent summer in Raleigh. Yeah, it was hot. No different than the Jersey Shore, to be honest. Perhaps less windy. Felt exactly the same, both temperature and humidity wise. Fall was looooong, basically nice dry mild sunny weather from September to almost Christmas.

Hey, what can I say? I like being tan, and I like wearing seashells around my neck and being barefoot. I like the feel of a lightweight cotton shirt and shorts. I like seeing women in sundresses instead of Eskimo-wear. Call me crazy. Maybe if I was a roofer, I'd feel different. I don't know.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
OMG you live in interior South Carolina..that is pure pain in summer...ouch. I remember during heat waves down there seeing 105 degrees plus on the map for Columbia like 2 weeks straight.. they said you could fry an egg on the pavement.
Is 21 miles west of Charleston "interior" South Carolina? It sure isn't considered that in SC! We are in what is known as Lowcountry and are a large part of the Charleston metro area. (Actually, our town got its name from long before a/c, when rich southerners started coming here in the hot months to cool off a bit!) Summerville is no more interior than Westchester Cty is upstate. Columbia is almost 100 miles inland from here.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 03-02-2015 at 10:24 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
If it was 2 cold months, I'd be all for it. December and January are cold? I can handle that. But its not. 5-6 months realistically. It is what it is. No need to debate.

Re the last part: Its on the page that I posted. The avg daily high during the summer is 81, from basically Memorial Day to Labor Day. Same as the avg July high in Rochester. If you don't agree, take it up with them.

Western NY does have great summer weather.

I spent summer in Raleigh. Yeah, it was hot. No different than the Jersey Shore, to be honest. Perhaps less windy. Felt exactly the same, both temperature and humidity wise. Fall was looooong, basically nice dry mild sunny weather from September to almost Christmas.

Hey, what can I say? I like being tan, and I like wearing seashells around my neck and being barefoot. I like the feel of a lightweight cotton shirt and shorts. I like seeing women in sundresses instead of Eskimo-wear. Call me crazy. Maybe if I was a roofer, I'd feel different. I don't know.
I hear you ..to each his own. As for that map, I still read it as it is high temp starts at 81..goes to 89 in mid summer ..back to 81..average about 85. no matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York