Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 PM

22 posts, read 31,527 times

Advertisements

My husband got an job offer in Corning. I haven't been there yet. But I would think Pittsburgh will be better for raising kids. Pittsburgh is not a big city but there are 2 big universities, sports, music and arts. The museums are good too. I like my son's current piano teacher very much - she is very professional and experienced. Not sure if I can find a comparable one in Corning. Also not sure the job opportunity there for me. I am an analytic person currently working in the health insurance industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:33 AM

93,385 posts, read 124,009,048 times
So, what are you looking for? These are 2 totally different communities in terms of size.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:03 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Corning is not a big city - although there likely are piano teachers, there probably isn't much choice among them. There is one world class museum Corning Museum of Glass obviously not of as much general interest as the Carnegies.

Presuming hubby is looking at a relatively high-level connection to Corning, Inc., you may want to ask about rules for taking the "shuttle" direct private flights more than weekly to NY City.

Corning may be inter-commutable with Ithaca, home to the largest Ivy League university. If that's also where your piano teacher is, you might prefer to live in Horseheads (north suburb of Elmira) which is also closer to C-level box store shopping.

If you are looking for more urban homes with Victorian character, "Historic Near Westside Neighborhood Elmira NY" probably has some available, much cheaper and likely larger lots than one could find in a neighborhood of comparable safety Pittsburgh. Property taxes in NY need to be figured into the budget more strongly than elsewhere and you might not care for the Elmira City schools either.

Horseheads/Elmira would also be closer to a destination medical complex Careers at Guthrie | Guthrie (and the local Employment Opportunities ) should this offer the possibility of employment for you.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:36 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
The Corning area is not a bad place to live as small cities go, but it is not in the same league as Pittsburgh. The Great Schools website rates the Corning Painted Post Schools 7 out of 10, much higher than any school in Pittsburgh save 1.

If the job offer that your husband received is so good that he would be foolish to turn it down, then I would encourage him to take it and strive mightily to make the adjustment to small town living. If it's just slightly better, then stay in the "burgh."

Old 02-15-2015, 06:34 PM

69 posts, read 114,478 times
My husband and I stopped in Corning this fall in route to Toronto. We loved it!!
I'm from central NY, but he is from NYC. If he had a job offer there we'd have been thrilled.

It must depend on your view. Where are you now? If I could give my kids a life in Corning rather than a city I'd jump for it, but I value different things than you might. There is a lot of stuff your kids can learn from their environment instead of pretending that a museum will make a big impact.

Believe it or not, there are talented and qualified people all over the country... Including piano teachers or whatever.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 AM

149 posts, read 303,377 times
Yeah, comparing Corning to Pittsburgh isn't really going to tell you much. Corning has a population of about 12,000 people. Elmira, NY is about 20 miles away, with a population of around 30,000. Pittsburgh has over 300,000 people, and the second most populous NYS city (after NYC, obviously) is Buffalo with a population of around 250,000. The Corning-Elmira area is about 2 hours away from a city of any significant size.

Now, this isn't a bad thing, depending on what you are looking for. Obviously you won't find big universities...although Cornell is about 30-45 minutes away in Ithaca. In Corning itself, there is Corning Community College. Elmira has a 4 year private school, Elmira College, that is moderately prestigious. In terms of sports, there is a minor league hockey team - the Jackals - and a baseball team, the Elmira Pioneers, that is part of the PGCBL. The Clemens Center in Elmira brings in various music and performance events. The Corning Museum of Glass is a nice draw, and they have regularly scheduled events - particularly interesting are the 2300 degrees events that run through the winter months. There is also the Rockwell Museum. I don't know what kind of piano teacher your son currently has, but the 171 Cedar Arts Center in Corning offers a variety of music lessons - it looks like they have 5 piano teachers on their staff.

Corning Incorporated brings an interesting diverse flavor to an otherwise rather insular area, and they have a vested interest in fostering that culture - they've been a major contributor to many community projects.

Having said all that, Corning is obviously NOT comparable to Pittsburgh. If you are looking for big city life and amenities, you won't find them here, and if you aren't ready to make some adjustments, I don't think you will be happy in an area like this. Are you currently residing in Pittsburgh? If so, I'd say Corning is more like....Meadville, PA - to give you a comparison closer to home.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:58 PM

93,385 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Corning is not a big city - although there likely are piano teachers, there probably isn't much choice among them. There is one world class museum Corning Museum of Glass obviously not of as much general interest as the Carnegies.

Presuming hubby is looking at a relatively high-level connection to Corning, Inc., you may want to ask about rules for taking the "shuttle" direct private flights more than weekly to NY City.

Corning may be inter-commutable with Ithaca, home to the largest Ivy League university. If that's also where your piano teacher is, you might prefer to live in Horseheads (north suburb of Elmira) which is also closer to C-level box store shopping.

If you are looking for more urban homes with Victorian character, "Historic Near Westside Neighborhood Elmira NY" probably has some available, much cheaper and likely larger lots than one could find in a neighborhood of comparable safety Pittsburgh. Property taxes in NY need to be figured into the budget more strongly than elsewhere and you might not care for the Elmira City schools either.

Horseheads/Elmira would also be closer to a destination medical complex Careers at Guthrie | Guthrie (and the local Employment Opportunities ) should this offer the possibility of employment for you.
Just to add to this, if you like the Near Westside or West Elmira, which is a relatively upscale suburb in the area still in the Elmira City SD, Holy Family and Notre Dame could be an option as well: Notre Dame High School - Elmira, NY

Holy Family Elmira, NY

More school options: Alternative School For Math And Science - Private School in Corning, NY. Grades 6 through 8

Corning Christian Academy - Home

All Saints Academy

Chemung Valley Montessori School | Elmira, NYHome - Chemung Valley Montessori School | Elmira, NY

Elmira Christian Academy | Partnering with Parents since 1969

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-16-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 05:28 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Corning is a pretty cool city for it's size. It even has a Fortune 500 company headquarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York