Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 51,765 times

Advertisements

Need Advise- I am interested in relocating to ORange County Ny, My husband is a fireman for NYC and he needs to commute into NYC. We currently live on Staten Island and want a better life for our children, larger house, property and good schools. However, living in the tri-state area for over 35 years I'm nervouse about moving...If any one lives in Goshen, NY and can give me any details about Goshen I would really appriciate the feed back.. I heard the schools are good, taxe's aren't that high, a family community. We have taken a few rides around the town and village and like it so far, but concerend about the people! How are the people? Friendly, outgoing, rude? what about the schools/churches? I'm looking for a place where people respect other's, say hello to one another, family friendly , and the absence of the "F" word used in every other word, that's the only word people know here on staten island, it's disgusting! I not a prude in using 4 lettered words, but their is a time and a place, like when your in the car by yourself and the windows are rollled up!! Any info on this commuity would be most beneficial!! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 09:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
I, and others have written about these towns in other threads. I suggest using the, "Search" function above to search this forum using the term, "Warwick" or "Goshen". You should get a lot of information from those as there have been many threads of late asking about these towns.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 57,952 times
Try Minisink {Westtown} it's safe and alot of firemen and police officers are moving there it's a growing area and the taxes aren't as high as Goshen and Warwick It' close to the Mall for shopping and the supermarkets in Middletown and in PA and you border Nj for the gas prices. The schools are great and the people are freindly.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:35 PM

10 posts, read 75,894 times
Jason Els is right, there is plenty on here about all of those towns. And no, you will not hear the "F" word in Orange County: it is forbidden by law. I've been here six years and never heard it once! There are fiiremen and policemen everywhere. You might also want to consider parts of the Greenwood Lake area -- not directly in the village, but outside. It is still part of the Town of Warwick and much closer to the city for commuting.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:11 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
with all respect my wife and i were in town checking things out and went to the new Price Chopper. In the span of a few minutes we see a guy cursing up a storm LOUDLY inside the grocery store. Now that I think about it I would have said something to him but he lookedlike he might kill me if I did . Next we saw a woman smoking while pushing her kid in a stroller (seriously???????) and finally a bunch of very promiscuously dressed girls that looked like they were ready for 42nd street. LOL.

Not sure what to make of this .....

Old 12-03-2010, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 51,765 times
It's funny how I found my original post relocating to Warwick NY...Been here 3 years and REGRET it! Coming from NYC, this is MAYBERRY!! This a a scenic village, with polite people...but politness will KILL you here! Dr's are village idiots, Officials are re-elected due to family status and NO running mate. Police Officers are Nasty, and don't understand Communtiy, Respect, Serve Motto...they just write Tickets and get citations for them?? oh, and pick up the eledery that fall and can't get up!!
Elementary schools are good but beyond that.....Some one is cooking the test scores and ratings!! Middle school is a dungeon with outdated, supplies, equipment, books, No security and Leadership is poor to say the least. If you want to live with "Stepford Wives" mentality this is the place for you, if NOT RUN, and Run fast!!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
sorry to hear that. we decided against warwick a while back.

i felt like we decided that it was far away from all the conveniences of nyc and metro nyc (like bergen county nj where we are now) without the advantages of places like where we are moving in vermont where most people just want to be outside and eat good locally grown food. it seemed to be too much of a bedroom community.

Last edited by joe moving; 12-03-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 PM

27 posts, read 98,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviaday View Post
It's funny how I found my original post relocating to Warwick NY...Been here 3 years and REGRET it! Coming from NYC, this is MAYBERRY!! This a a scenic village, with polite people...but politness will KILL you here! Dr's are village idiots, Officials are re-elected due to family status and NO running mate. Police Officers are Nasty, and don't understand Communtiy, Respect, Serve Motto...they just write Tickets and get citations for them?? oh, and pick up the eledery that fall and can't get up!!
Elementary schools are good but beyond that.....Some one is cooking the test scores and ratings!! Middle school is a dungeon with outdated, supplies, equipment, books, No security and Leadership is poor to say the least. If you want to live with "Stepford Wives" mentality this is the place for you, if NOT RUN, and Run fast!!
Go back to the city! Since city people have moved to the hudson valley it has driven property taxes up after 911 and housing went up.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
I've lived in Orange County my whole life - It has been a pleasure to grow up here. I love the easy access to the NYC and to the rural and mountainous areas to our North. Locally, Middletown and Newburgh provide all the shopping that a person could ask for. Its a fun place to live. Lots of entertainment, good food, and options - especially in New York, just to our South. Not much crime to speak of outside of Middletown, Newburgh, and Port Jervis. Not the greatest selection of doctors, but I go to nearby Westchester County for that...

As for the OP, sorry about your poor experience in the County - maybe you had unrealistic expectations?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:02 AM

197 posts, read 636,180 times
easy access to NYC? Are you kidding? Its a bad enough drive from Rockland. Check out Stony Point, I think its a town your looking for. Nice friendly people, everyone says hi, good community! or Haverstraw town outside of the village (Thiells, Pomona, Mt Ivy, Garnerville, West Haverstraw). Its about a half hour closer to NYC than Goshen and about 45 min closer than Warwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York