Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 5,899 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I will be moving from Washington State into the Carmel/Brewster area. Not too far from the Southeast Metro North Station. Both of us will be working in the White Plains area.

I've read a few posts on this forum about coming from Danbury, CT to White Plains, but I don't see any info on Brewster/Carmel to White Plains. Looking at Google traffic maps it seems like 684 is not so bad during Rush Hour, coming or going....it gives me an estimate of about 45 minutes each way.

From your experience/knowledge is this accurate on a typical day?

From door-to-door, my commute into Downtown Seattle is currently 2 hours I realize "not so bad" is relative so this is where I'm coming from!

Also, what about the Taconic Parkway? Google maps shows a longer drive time, but also shows no traffic during typical rush hours...Is this accurate?

I appreciate any info on this! Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Carmel to WP is pretty typically 35-50 min during rush hour. 684 is congested, but generally has good sight lines and traffic moves really quickly. The only issue is that the ramp to get onto 84 east backs up during rush hour but that wouldnt impact you.

I am not a huge fan of the Taconic for numerous reasons... poor visibility, narrow, badly designed exit ramps

Old 07-17-2016, 02:25 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post

I am not a huge fan of the Taconic for numerous reasons... poor visibility, narrow, badly designed exit ramps
Agreed- the Taconic is the pits.

I commuted down 684 to the Bronx for several years want to point out that much depends on when you leave. Usually I was on the road by 6 am and while I was not alone on the road, traffic always flowed nicely with only the occasional holdup. It can be dicey in the winter as portions are elevated and therefore freeze sooner than the rest of the road which I think you should know (but it's still better than the Taconic!).

My husband still commutes on 684 and finds that traffic gets heavier as you move on later into the day. But it's not a bad road for commuting. Lots of people who live in this area commute to White Plains.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 PM

82 posts, read 91,048 times
684 is fine. During rush hour, traffic may only hold you up for 10-15 minutes at most barring an accident.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,899 times
Thank you for all the responses. Very helpful. Especially the info regarding the Icy portion of 684 in the winter. 34-50 minutes is moderate based on my current commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York