Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 02:09 PM

93,356 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am not sure which is considered the best measure of a place being "economically depressed," but here's what i found, based on U.S. census data, among all 62 counties in NY state:

Lowest median household income - Bronx County
Lowest median property value - Allegany County
Highest poverty rate - Bronx County

I don't like using poverty rate as a meaningful measure because it only represents people living below an established income threshold, so I think median household income is more meaningful, because it takes into account EVERYONE who has an income.

Anyway, based on this, which would you say has a more depressed/forgotten feeling and image? Bronx County or Allegany County? I think lowest property values is most indicative of what I'm trying to discern. But I'm sure some of you on here have been to both Bronx and Allegany counties to make that judgment.

Allegany County includes Wellsville. Is Wellsville depressed feeling?
I'm not sure, but it essentially looks like small town America with an old time look: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1226...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Alfred University and Alfred State, along with Alstrom in Hornell are likely the closest major employers to the village. This doesn't help: Lufkin-RMT plant in Wellsville to close in November - News - The Wellsville Daily Reporter - Wellsville, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 06:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Kingston has its problems, but the good far outweigh the bad. There is movement from "refugees" fleeing the high cost of New York City. Good restaurants, nice waterfront, and two very nice historic districts. You are right near the Catskills and close to ski resorts.

And you don't have to spend a fortune to get a house.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:18 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Within Binghamton which is already depressed enough. Johsnon City is probably the most depressed place Ive seen. Half the houses look like they have meth labs inside no good supermarkets, desolate even in the middle of the day, nothing to do. Theres a reason even most college students dont live there

Old 03-21-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Within Binghamton which is already depressed enough. Johsnon City is probably the most depressed place Ive seen. Half the houses look like they have meth labs inside no good supermarkets, desolate even in the middle of the day, nothing to do. Theres a reason even most college students dont live there
It actually has the area's only indoor mall and Wegmans, with some other big box shopping in that area of town(around Harry L Drive). With that said, its Main Street is underutilized, but still has some potential, if there is some interest. It does have one of the area hospitals as well.

Areas north of Harry L Drive and south of Floral, along with the western end of town are solid to quite nice. Central JC is more lower income/working class, with quite a few immigrants/migrants from NYC and Philadelphia.

Its crime rate is largely due to being a shopping hub in the area and in turn, thefts are the biggest issue and everything else is average(give or take).

Schools are OK/average, with grad rates usually in the mid/high 80's in terms of percentage.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-21-2017 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 11:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
The strait of Main St from Johnson City to Glenwood Avenue in Binghamton is just depressing. Very underutilized; there's almost nothing there. A black hole, lots of unused storefronts and very little street activity. It does get a bit better east of Glenwood Ave, you start to see a couple of restaurants, Price Chopper, Asian markets, bowling alley, bars, etc

Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The strait of Main St from Johnson City to Glenwood Avenue in Binghamton is just depressing. Very underutilized; there's almost nothing there. A black hole, lots of unused storefronts and very little street activity. It does get a bit better east of Glenwood Ave, you start to see a couple of restaurants, Price Chopper, Asian markets, bowling alley, bars, etc
Yes, I know what you mean, as there are gaps on Main Street in JC. It has businesses here and there and the hospital, but like you mentioned, the further into Binghamton, the better it gets. It is almost like JC suburbanized, while leaving the more urban core portion to be spotty. South of Floral is almost like a stable more working/middle class continuation of Binghamton's Westside south of Main around Riverside Drive.

Endicott is similar to JC, but its nicest areas are to the West and north of its Downtown, which is more stable and full. Neighborhoods right next to Endwell are alright too. Its central neighborhoods has had some environmental issues that hasn't helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York